View Full Version : Everything you wanted to know about the Steadicam Merlin...

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Michael Richard
April 1st, 2008, 09:37 PM
do you recall the settings you used for the A1 handheld? Weights, Arc, Z, hole?

Christopher Witz
April 2nd, 2008, 09:22 AM
I used to fly merlin handheld with FX1 and A1 lately, and I got really comfortable with it, I can re-setup merlin for the WA or oncamera light , or large battery very fast and get a perfect balance, I mean perfect, but that's handheld;
Now, I've got merlin arm and vest , and I've got EX1, and that's where things got complicated;
Before my main concern was weight of the camera, now it's inertia, I can't get rid of pendulum effect, as soon as Increase drop time the cam. goes completely out of the balance;
I understand that going from handheld to a full rig makes a big difference and takes a lot of practice, but I'm really thinking of getting a pilot sled;
Chris Witzke says that EX1 on merlin works nicely for him, not for me :-(

I need 90 seconds to get perfect balance with A1 on merlin, I can't even get close to that with EX1 for the last 4 days.
Chris? Mikko? Any advise?
Many thanks!

In order to get great balance with the ex1, I had every weight I had on the merlin.... the weights that came with the merlin, the weights came with the vest/arm, and the accessory plate on the bottom of the merlin.

I actually think the ex1 flys better than the fx1/z1 ( for me )... I feel that for the best stabilization one should put as much weight as the merlin can handle.

Buba Kastorski
April 2nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
In order to get great balance with the ex1, I had every weight I had on the merlin.... the weights that came with the merlin, the weights came with the vest/arm, and the accessory plate on the bottom of the merlin..

That's the same setup that I have, but I can't say ex1 flys better than FX1/A1 (of course for me)

I feel that for the best stabilization one should put as much weight as the merlin can handle.
that's another reason I'm thinking about pilot sled;
After Matthew's post about merlin gimbal failure with HVR-A1U on it (3 times lighter than ex1) and I'm not surprised, my first melin fell apart the firs day http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=103182

Don't get me wrong , Merlin is an awesome piece and worth every penny of it's price, it's just the EX1 is a bit over of Merlin's capacity.(IMHO)

Buba Kastorski
April 2nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
do you recall the settings you used for the A1 handheld? Weights, Arc, Z, hole?

Sorry Mike I don't have the A1 anymore to give you exact merlin settings, and I never right that down, as a base I took FX1 settings from the cookbook and with a little adjustments you ready to fly,
good luck!

Ming Darcy
April 8th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Hi guys,
As a newbie , I am trying out different weight settings and configurations with my Sony Z1 with the Merlin.
I have the stock standard Z1 with the NP F970 battery.
Questions do I put an extra middle weight on the nose with the starter weight ?
I have seen photo's with those and without.... 5 weights on the bottom or 6..
I have also the arm vest so it came with extra weights.

More importantly .... does anybody have a good vertical c.g. (center of gravity) Measurement so I can enter it on the spreadsheet formula !!??

I am having problems here.. ( I have read the manual, watched the dvd, trawled the net)...

Oh wise ones .. help me OBi One...

Nick Tsamandanis
April 8th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Forget about the spread sheet/cookbook.
Put one finish weight on the "nose".
Open the arc all the way.
Add enough weights to the bottom until you get a drop time of around 2 secs.
Now fine tune the balance.
You should be good to go.

Ming Darcy
April 8th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Hi Nick,
I know you have upgraded now .. but when you were flying the Z1 ( seen your making of 1% countless times !!) .. were you tweaking with your left or right hand .. as the arm was mounted on the left side .
I am right handed and have mounted the arm on the left side and operate on the right as it spreads the weight evenly ..
is this on the right path ?

Nick Tsamandanis
April 8th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Hi Ming, Yes that's right. You have to operate the gimbal with the right hand, on the right hand side so you can view the monitor properly.

Tim Harjo
August 19th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Strongly considering getting a merlin and vest soon. Just wondering.. I'll be using a Canon XH-A1. I'll most likely add two UHF receivers and a wide angle adapter. How heavy is the Merlin? I'm not looking for exact numbers here, just a general idea. With the vest and arm that is. Also, how long can you wear one of these before you "have had enough"? Again, just looking for a general idea, or if someone wants to share personal experience. Thanks!

Guy Shaddock
August 19th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I have an A1 and Merlin and don't have the vest. I can't image using this combination for very long without having the vest. It is quite heavy (the Merlin itself is not that heavy). I also have a Sony HC1 and that's that camera I use on the Merlin...handheld.

Guy Shaddock
September 20th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I find the perfect match between the Merlin and video camera is with the DVC 30. I'm really happy with this combination. The DVC 30 is so well balanced and has just the right weight to use all day. Recently I was on a 2 1/2 day shoot and never felt fatigued... plus the moves are so much easier and smoother with the lighter weight and exceptional balance of the DVC 30.

I now want to get zoom control and have been looking at the Libec ZC-3DV. I see Mikko has used this controller (from a review I read at B & H) but I wonder if he was using the Libec on the Merlin.
I can see a problem mounting the Libec on the Merlin gimbal handle. My technique is to use my left hand for panning and tilting. If the Libec was up that high it would get in the way of the gimbal.
I was wondering if any Merlin users have solved the zoom control problem?

Guy Shaddock
September 20th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Or other zoom controllers?

Eric Corriveau
September 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Have you considered the Varizoom controllers ? I plan to buy one and I'm pretty sure they will attach easily on the Merlin's handle, but I'm gonna use an arm and vest. Just handholding the Merlin may not help using the zoom controller properly.

I'm glad to find this board. I own a Merlin for a month now, and I'm getting better (and less frustrated) each time I try it. I'm using a DVX100A but I'm planning to fly an HVX in a near future. I don't have the 2000$ to buy the Steadicam vest and arm, so I'll go with the DVSportster from Varizoom. VariZoom Dv Sportster, Navigator arm for Steadicam Merlin, Glidecam 4000, 2000, FlowPod, Steadicam JR (http://www.varizoom.com/products/stabilizers/vzdvsport.html)

So, here's a question: the arm-to-handle connector of the Varizoom arm is straight up. The one on the Steadicam arm is bended, allowing to remove most of the supporting fist out of the way of the guiding hand. Does anyone here knows if this part

Steadicam | 801-7290 Merlin Arm Post Kit | 801-7290 | B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/552484-REG/Steadicam_801_7290_801_7290_Merlin_Arm_Post.html)

could be added to the Varizoom arm (with a little work), or is it only a replacement part for the Steadicam arm ?

That would be a perfect and affordable solution for me.

Eric

Guy Shaddock
September 24th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Yes I have tried the Varizoom Stealth LX on my XH -A1 but I find it too "touchy" in zoom control.
However just delivered today is my new Libec ZC-3DV zoom controller. In the handle of the Merlin there is a 1/2" hole which can accept a short length of pipe. The Libec clamps on to the pipe and voila! I now have zoom control. It works great. Once I get the time I'll post a picture.

I used the Merlin on my DVC 80 (same as the DVX 100 but without 24P) and found it to be OK. Now I have a DVC30 and it is so sweet with the Merlin. I find I can "jib" shots so much better and tilting is so smooth and controlled. I do a lot of run & gun work, much of it inside under available and relatively low light. The DVC 30 is perfect for these conditions. Now that I will be able to control zoom as well I anticipate getting some really great moves!

The Next Day
Unfortunately after trying the set up more I have come to the realization that it will never work properly. I mounted the Libec below the camera on the gimbal handle. It is possible to balance the set up to a certain extent but the pressure caused by the cable running up to the camera will constantly interfere with the balance ....as soon as you move or rotate the camera. Back to the drawing board!

Eric Corriveau
September 25th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I understand that the cable thing does not help. If you twist the cable on the upper spar, right in front of the stage, and find a way to attach it under the stage, do you think it could work ? Well... that cable thing when you pan... I see.

I intend to use the zoom controller when the Merlin will be used with an arm, so I guess that it would be more feasible since I won't need to use force to support the Merlin.

Guy Shaddock
September 25th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Eric

Unfortunately I don't think that will work. If you mount the zoom controller on the camera, any time you touch it it will affect the camera's balance on the gimbal. Remember even adding a lens cover to the camera will result in changing the balance of the Merlin... so touching the camera even lightly sends it spinning. That balance is VERY exact!

My idea was to mount the zoom controller at the bottom of the gimbal. I was able to balance the set up initially but found the minute I rotated, tilted or otherwise moved the gimbal, the tension on the cable running up to the camera threw the balance off drastically.

The Merlin vest won't give you any advantage.

Srinivas Swaminathan
November 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM
I am going to buy a Canon XHA1 and was considering the Steadicam Merlin for it. I am a bit confused though, with conflicting information about the maximum supported weight. With the Metal Gimbal (sp?) is the maximum supported camera weight 5 Lb or 7.5 Lb WITHOUT the arm/vest?

And I see a lot of posts about Merlin with A1. I was wondering what was the reasoning for you to consider Merlin when the camera weight + accessories might possibly exceed the maximum capacity of the stabilizer?

Thanks!

Guy Shaddock
November 21st, 2008, 08:53 PM
I have had my plastic gimbal version of the Merlin for about 1 1/2 years now. I was using a Panasonic DVC80 with the Merlin (exactly like the DVX 100... but missing 24p and stuff) and found that it balanced very well. However, when I really extended my arm with the camera, physics came into play and shots were not as dolly/crane like…..plus were kind of tiring.
I have mounted my XH-A1 on the Merlin and was able to balance it fairly well. Using it was actually worse than my experience the lighter DVC80. Shots are not as smooth and definitely more tiring. A really great combination is the DVC 30 with the Merlin. I have used these two on shoots with far greater results.

Edit
I don't mean to imply that the Merlin/A1 exceeds the maximum weight capacity. I suggest the weight makes the combination impractical...unless used with the vest.

Nick Tsamandanis
November 21st, 2008, 11:15 PM
The weight capacity of the Merlin with the metal gimbal is 7.5 pounds, however if you are thinking of maxing it out without the arm/vest forget about it. I found it too heavy (maxed out) for hand held use, with the arm/vest it becomes magically weightless - and an incredible tool.

Guy Shaddock
November 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
Yes as Nick suggests there is just too much weight at the end of your arm for the A1 to work successfully. You'll need the arm/vest.

Srinivas Swaminathan
November 22nd, 2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks guys. I'll save up for investing in a vest.

Bill Pryor
November 22nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
I just bought a Merlin with arm and vest on Thursday. It takes all the weights, including the extra ones you get with the vest to balance my XH A1 loaded the way I want it, which includes the Lee bellows mattebox, one 4X4 filter, Sennheiser wireless receiver on the hot shoe and Sony short shotgun on the mic mount, and of course battery and tape. There's still a little room for adjustment if needed, but it balances perfectly. You can use it hand held that way, but not for long. The Steadicam arm is excellent, better than a full size competing rig I've used before.

Charles Papert
November 22nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
Bill, might it help to mount the wireless down below with the accessory plate? That would free up a bit of capacity up top in case you need it (not to mention your hot shoe)

Peter Szilveszter
November 27th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Yes as Nick suggests there is just too much weight at the end of your arm for the A1 to work successfully. You'll need the arm/vest.

I've been using the Merlin hand held with the A1 and it can get heavy if I use it for a long time, but I shoot weddings and I am still quiet ok by the end of a 13-15 hour day and I would take plenty of Merlin shots that can run up to 20-30 seconds. I get very good results considering I don't spend too much time with it.. The Merlin is designed so you can use it in places where a vest/arm unit isn't viable like tight spaces etc..I know of another user who uses the same combo as me and he gets amazing shots out of it as well so its just practice.

If you go arm/Vest better just to go Pilot for the price of a vest+merlin the price difference isn't much at all and will get much better results, I will keep my Merlin once I upgrade to the Pilot because I know there will be places where I will be needing it.

Nick Tsamandanis
November 27th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Having owned both rigs, I found the results pretty much the same, just a matter of practice/skill level. The operating technique really is quite different for both rigs though. For event stuff the Merlin combo is much quicker to set up, DB etc... sort of miss it.

Bill Pryor
November 29th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I've only worked with the Merlin/arm/vest for about 2 hours total. It's pretty easy to get smooth walking moves. Stopping and holding is a bit trickier. I get it right about 1 out of 3 or 4 times. A little practice should remedy that. The Steadicam guy who I met at Calumet was able to do it with precision every time.

Peter Dunphy
July 10th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hi Everyone

I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me on a Merlin Arm & Vest shaking problem I have.

I am now quite adept at using the Merlin 'handheld' on its own (without the Arm & Vest) and have gotten some particularly smooth, exciting results with my XH-A1 using the 4.98lb settings from the Merlin Cookbook. The only way I achieve 'balance' is only with the 4.98lb settings, the smaller Canon 950 battery and don't attach my lens hood or any other accessories.

I have videoed with the Arm & Vest 3 times now and discovered an unacceptable judder/shake when I watch back my footage on the television.

The shake occurs with nearly every step I take. It isn't noticeable at the time, but can be clearly seen when watching back the footage.

Today I took extra special care with all my Arm & Vest straps, to make sure they're symmetrical, to ensure that each part of my 'arm' was flying parallel to the ground, and that the chest spar around my upper torso was nice and tight, and the vest rested snugly on my shoulders.

I double-checked my camera-plate was attached correctly, and only very gently held my Merlin handle with the ends of my fingers and hardly touched the guide with my finger and thumb throughout, so I could be certain that any vibration or shake did not come from my touch.

I also experimented with the Gorgonplatz screw - I had the camera resting snugly against it, and got the shake in my final results. I also had the Gorgonplatz screw nice and tight up against my XHA1 - again, there was a judder/shake with nearly every step (say once every 2-3 steps).

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Josh Swan
July 10th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I've been having the same judder problem while walking.

Guy Shaddock
July 10th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Have you tried disabling the camera's optical stabilization?

Josh Swan
July 10th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Yes, I have. I don't know if Peter has or not. It is significantly better with it off, but still noticeable.

Peter Dunphy
July 11th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Yep have image stabilisation off also. Have written to Steadicam-Europe to see if they can enlighten me. It's unusual that I don't experience any shake/judder whatsoever when I'm flying handheld running/walking up and downstairs etc. It's only once the Merlin is placed on the Arm& Vest that the faint judder occurs with every few steps I gently take. Once I break into a faster walk or run the judder just gets worse. I really, really want the Arm&Vest to work for me but so far no joy I'm afraid.

Nick Tsamandanis
July 11th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Can you post some footage of yourself using the rig?

Josh Swan
July 11th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I don't have the arm and vest. I am just experiencing it handheld.
Same shake/judder symptoms though.

Peter Dunphy
July 15th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Up to my eyes at the moment but will get a clip on asap. Basically, in the meantime, I was conscious of not letting any parts of my arms or elbow rub against the vest, or let any part of my hands or fingers touch the vest or camera or Merlin in such a way to cause the shake (I only occasionally touched the guide). The judder seemed to come up from my feet directly up into the arm.

I'm 5'10" (178cm) - 5'11" (180cm) and of slim build (31 inches / 78 centimeters waist) and weigh approx 168 pounds. In order for the Vest to rest snugly on my shoulders, I extended the chest spar down as far as I could without it slipping out from the 4 thumbscrews. Perhaps I shouldn't have this chest spar down so far - perhaps I should keep it as high as possible? If I were to bring the chest spar higher, one of the shoulder pads (to my left) tends to rise up, dig into my neck and generally make filming a highly uncomfortable, strangling experience. I've encountered the judder by literally just walking forward very, very slowly with no extravagant movements whatsoever. The judder gets more pronounced if I walk quicker or break into a run.

Anyway, I'll post back once I get a clip recorded if I can get hold of another video camera for the task! Thanks for your help. Any further suggestions appreciated in the meantime.

I must admit that I've nailed a couple of cracking handheld Merlin shots so far such as two people walking down the steps of a plane (boomed down) then walking away from the plane towards the camera (walked sideways-backwards) and into a terminal. For anyone reading this considering the handheld Merlin I totally recommend it.

Just occurred to me - it would be brilliant if someone (Steadicam) could do a video tutorial on the Merlin Arm & Vest! Perhaps I could do one if I get this mini-nightmare solved!

Jason Merkt
October 5th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I've been using the merlin for over a year, but recently I've been unable to balance it. I've been using the same camera with the merlin. This first started happening a month ago. I balance the merlin and begin to walk and the camera leans to one side. I rebalance and it leans to one side again once I begin to move. I have checked my settings and tried, tried, again with the same result. After 5 separate attempts I am throwing my hands in the air. Help please!!!

Tom Tomkowiak
October 5th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Jason, after you rebalance, does the camera continue to lean to the same side, or then does the camera lean to the opposite side? From your description, I'm not sure which is happening.

Are you using it handheld, or with a vest?

I've had my Merlin for about 2 years now, or however long it's been since they first came out, and I haven't experienced anything like that. Well, for the first few weeks after I got it I had problems keeping the camera level, but once I hit on all the right settings, its been working as advertised.

If it's been working okay for you for the past several months, and now it's not, my first thought is that something is loose or got damaged. How heavy is the camera you're using with it?

Jason Merkt
October 5th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I am using the Merlin handheld and once balanced it can tip to either side while in motion. Before this issue came up I had some room in balancing. using vx2100 with it. very moody all of a sudden.

Jason, after you rebalance, does the camera continue to lean to the same side, or then does the camera lean to the opposite side? From your description, I'm not sure which is happening.

Are you using it handheld, or with a vest?

I've had my Merlin for about 2 years now, or however long it's been since they first came out, and I haven't experienced anything like that. Well, for the first few weeks after I got it I had problems keeping the camera level, but once I hit on all the right settings, its been working as advertised.

If it's been working okay for you for the past several months, and now it's not, my first thought is that something is loose or got damaged. How heavy is the camera you're using with it?

Tom Tomkowiak
October 5th, 2009, 04:45 PM
If you noticed, I also have the VX2100. Depending on what size battery you're using, lens attachments, and whatever else is attached to the camera, it's right at the upper weight limit for the Merlin.

Compared to my Canon HV30, the VX is a challenge to balance. In fact, I rarely mount the VX on the Merlin any more. A tripod or the DVRigPro is my stabilizer of choice now for that camera.

But, getting back to your problem, having a camera that's been riding just fine but now for no apparent reason tilts to either side, is a problem I never had to solve.

Instead of continuing to make adjustments, I would suggest just starting from scratch. Essentially reset the Merlin back to zero, begin with the suggested cookbook basic settings, and go from there.

And, what might yield you more suggestions, is to start a new thread in the Stabilizers forum. This one you piggybacked on has been around for quite a while -- up to 13 pages now I think -- and I'm not too sure how many people still look at it.

Good luck.

David Aviv Nussbaum
October 11th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'm about ready to sell this thing if I can't balance this HPX170! It's been months now and no luck. I can balance it perfectly on a table so the thing stands on the gimble on its own, then as soon as I pick it up and try to practice I get a slight boat/wave effect (very slight) and I set it back down on the table on the gimble and the thing tilts all the way to one side and vertically as though I didn't just spend forever trimming it!

I can even get it to a 2 second drop time! But no luck keeping it balanced! what the hell!

Jim Andrada
October 11th, 2009, 03:02 PM
David - do you think maybe the gimbal is showing wear and acting up on you? I think if it were me I'd see about getting it checked/repaired.

David Aviv Nussbaum
October 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure. How can I find out if it's getting worn down? And if it is, that's BS because I haven't even shot in the field yet with this thing. I've just been trying to balance it ever since I got it. How the hell can the gimbal get worn down? Shouldn't they warn you that this can happen? What's the point in owning this if it self destructs?!

Jim Andrada
October 11th, 2009, 03:39 PM
David - sorry, I guess I'm confused - I had thought you had been using it for a while successfully - I must have mixed you up with another poster.

Hmmm. The "boat wave motion isn't so unusual but usually goes away with practice.

After you set it down and it points in all the wrong places, what happens when you pick it up again - does it stay in the strange orientation or does it swing back to more or less level?

David Aviv Nussbaum
October 11th, 2009, 03:50 PM
okay, I went back to dove tail slot G and I for some weird reason I don't have this problem as BAD as before.

Now, the horizontal measuring level is off by usually HALF the bubble each time I try to set it back down, but it still tips pretty bad vertically out of whack.

I don't think the gimble is broken, but it is still VERY odd to not even WALK with the thing and have it go out of whack..

as for mastering this boat swaying. How the hell is one to do that?! even if I touch the ring with a feather's touch the whole thing moves erratically.

Why should I have to counter balance any pants or tilts as I walk? Isn't the whole point of this instrument to ELIMINATE that?!

Jim Andrada
October 11th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Well, I think the only way to get stabilization "automatically" would be to get a gyro based system.

Think about moving your hand to the side - in other words pushing to let's say the left. If the center of gravity of the entire system is anywhere but dead on the center of the gimbal, the camera will tip to one side or the other. But even if it IS dead center (hard to do exactly) the camera will have more air resistance than the Merlin, so there will be a very small force trying to tip the camera to the right. Not to mention the various rotional moments involved.

This is life! Wind, minor imbalances, friction, maybe even the alignment of the planets (they do after all have a gravitational effect) are all going to conspire to ruin your day.

All I know is that the more I used it, the better it got and the less my touch on the ring caused problems - but I'm still far from perfect.

It's sort of like the NY cop who when asked how to get to Carnegie Hall answered "Practice, practice, practice". Don't know what else to say.

Marcus Martell
October 30th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Has anybody of u experienced the break of the plastic parts near the plastic screws?