View Full Version : Various recording modes on the same tape

Jiri Bakala
April 5th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Is it okay to record in various modes on the same tape?
I.e. going from HDV 30p to 24p or even to SD? Any issues with that?

Joel Aaron
April 5th, 2006, 12:08 PM

I haven't tried it, but a friend of mine who runs a F-900 a lot says they always switch tapes when switching modes.

Since that's a $100k+ camera and they have a lot of experience I personally think it's probably sound advice regardless of whether it's "possible" or not.

Brian Chow
April 5th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I've done a lot of shooting with multi modes on the same tape. Have had no problems.

Brian Drysdale
April 5th, 2006, 01:02 PM
It's not a good idea if you're giving tapes to other people, it'll just cause confusion.

You might know what's on the tape, but someone in a post production house who's just dealing with a director/producer hasn't a clue. Especially since you could have so many different formats on a tape, given that the HD 100 can record SD and HD, plus different the frame rates.

Sure you can do it, but it's not good practise.

Paolo Ciccone
April 5th, 2006, 03:00 PM

The first tape I run in the HD100 I switched between modes a lot, just to try the different results. I didn't even think it could be a problem :)
I noticed that the camera recognizes the modes correctly when playing back, the LCD shows the current mode.
Was that just luck? I don't know and I don't want to stretch my luck :) but in an emergency I think it can be a calculated risk.

Nate Weaver
April 5th, 2006, 04:03 PM
When you switch modes on a tape you're using for a job, you often lose the first few seconds of each mode switch.

Not a problem if you ALWAYS abide the 5 second pre-roll rule, but often that goes out the window when things get hectic.

The smart way to do it is to keep different modes on different tapes. Anything else is asking for trouble if you have to digitize it. Doubly true if you want to have repeatability on your captures.