View Full Version : Smell-O-Vision Redux

J. Stephen McDonald
April 23rd, 2006, 12:45 AM
The old aroma-enhanced movie experience from Russia in the 1950s, has
re-emanated in Japan. In special theaters with "aroma jewels" that exude 7 different scents, that are supposed to match the moods of the scenes on the screen, moviegoers can enjoy an alternate type of 4th dimension.

Can camcorders that detect ambient smells and encode them for odor-generators during playback, be far behind? You wouldn't dare eat any garlic or ripe cheese, before a shooting session.

Frank Granovski
April 23rd, 2006, 03:41 AM
Seems like a scam to drag suckers into seeing bad movies.

J. Stephen McDonald
April 23rd, 2006, 07:23 PM
Seems like a scam to drag suckers into seeing bad movies.

It would give another reason to label a movie as a real stinker.

Rik Sanchez
April 24th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Do you have a link that lists those theaters or to that article? I wonder if they have one here in Osaka?

The best smell I like when I go to the movies is the smell of beer. They have draft beer at the snack bars and we can bring in our own beer/food, gonna have to bring in a pizza the next time I see a movie. Luckily there is a new pizza joint that opened here so I'll grab some slices to go.

J. Stephen McDonald
April 24th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Do you have a link that lists those theaters or to that article? I wonder if they have one here in Osaka?

The best smell I like when I go to the movies is the smell of beer. They have draft beer at the snack bars and we can bring in our own beer/food, gonna have to bring in a pizza the next time I see a movie. Luckily there is a new pizza joint that opened here so I'll grab some slices to go.

The story was carried on CBS' Overnight News or whatever they call it. They might have more information on their branch of the website.