View Full Version : On Camera Monitor

Chris Lockerman
April 25th, 2006, 11:46 PM
I've just finished an HD shoot with the HVX and finally realized what all the moaning over focus is about. Thus, I now need to pick up an on camera monitor. What are the best recommendations? The Marshall keeps popping on these boards, but which model and price? Any advice or input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

James Gleason
April 26th, 2006, 12:21 AM
I think you're looking for the Marshall V-R70P-HDA. It's a 7 Inch LCD Monitor for HD/SD Field Production with V-Type Battery Mount, Component, S-Video and Composite Inputs and Outputs. I've just seen it at NAB and it's the one I will be getting. It's not cheap (around $1,350 street), but how much is an in-focus HD shoot worth to you?

Webb Pickersgill
April 26th, 2006, 12:32 AM
I too got to see this monitor at NAB. It is very reasonably priced, and I think worth the $$ for that perfect focus.

Steve Shovlar
April 26th, 2006, 03:02 AM
I own the marshall R70 HAD and its a fantastic little camera monitor. Make sure you use the Component inputs when using it for the best possible image.

Chris Lockerman
April 26th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the info. I think the Marshall is the way to go. Now on to finding the best price.

Robert Lane
April 26th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Chris,

I'll absolutely give my thumbs-up for the Marshall; I've been using it mainly for jib/crane work and have no manual focusing issues at all with it.

It uses the V-mount type battery and the IDX battery I bought runs literally all-day on a full charge.

The color is very accurate - for an LCD field monitor - it's light enough to be part of a steadi-cam type rig and the hood from Marshall goes on and off easily with velcro straps (Hoodman style).

Chris Lockerman
April 27th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks for all the info. While researching online, I came across a series of monitors made by Nebtek. They are cheaper than the Marshalls and allow me to use extra Panny batteries to power them. Anybody have any experience with these monitors and can offer me a little critique? Thanks.

Steve Shovlar
April 27th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Chris, the Nebteks are OK but nowhere near the same quality and class of the MARSHALLS. Not sure they are hi res monitors either.

You get what you pay for. Buy a Marshall and you will not regret it.

Leonard Levy
April 27th, 2006, 11:48 AM
If you are using the Marshall in the field (with component in), is there anyway to send a feed to a monitor for the producer?
Does the Marshall have a loop through?

Brian Petersen
April 27th, 2006, 01:38 PM
is there anyway to get a wireless hd signal to the marshall? I will be doing a shoot with 2 HVXs and the director wanted to have 2 Marshalls in his hand to view the feed but didn't want to have to be tied to the cameras with cables. What setup would make this possible?

Steve Shovlar
April 27th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Brian, teletest sell a system to work like this, but whether it will work on the marshall I am unsure.

http://www.teletest.co.uk/
Click the radio link button on the left.
Also if anyone is interested I a selling a wonderful teletest 7 inch LCD at the moment on ebay. Post worldwide.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7612684695&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Will Hanlon
April 27th, 2006, 02:12 PM
What do you guys think of the IKAN V7000? Anywhere near as good as the Marshall?

Steve Shovlar
April 27th, 2006, 02:27 PM
What do you guys think of the IKAN V7000? Anywhere near as good as the Marshall?

Not a fraction as good.

April 27th, 2006, 02:41 PM
You get what you pay for. Buy a Marshall and you will not regret it.
I second that from my experience with the Marshall.

Matt Irwin
April 27th, 2006, 08:44 PM
It uses the V-mount type battery and the IDX battery I bought runs literally all-day on a full charge.

Robert,

Out of curiosity, how long is "all day," twelve hours? Eight hours? How big a battery are you using?

Will Hanlon
April 27th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Can the Marshall flip the image? What would you say is the next stepdown from the Marshall?

Matt Irwin
April 28th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Can the Marshall flip the image?
I believe you can mount the monitor from any of the four sides, so there's no need for a flip function.

April 28th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Can the Marshall flip the image? What would you say is the next stepdown from the Marshall?Doesn't flip the image.
I believe you can mount the monitor from any of the four sides, so there's no need for a flip function.100% correct. Although you do need to buy a few extra little 1 x1 metal "mounting plates" for the monitor if you want to quickly change to another side. I'm eventually going to get around to ordering one extra one someday so I can have one for the top and bottom. Here's a pdf from Marshall, a picture of the mounting plate is on page 3.
http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/pdf_pages/instruction_sheets/V-R70P-HDAUsersGuide.pdf

Steev Dinkins
April 28th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I'm eventually going to get around to ordering one extra one someday so I can have one for the top and bottom.

Derek, if you order one, let me know if it's a simple deal. I've been too lazy to call LCDracks to enquire. :P

Rick Darge
April 30th, 2006, 01:46 PM
What are you guys using, carrying case wise, to transport your Marshalls ?

April 30th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Rick,

I put it in the Pelican 1650 with my camera and other stuff.

http://www.thisis24p.com/Pelican1650-4.html

If I were not doing this I would probably get a smaller Pelican case and customize the inside for the Marshall, cords, etc. One of the things I like about the Pelican (and I'm sure this is the same for other manufacturers as well) is that I can always buy new foam inserts down the road as equipment changes. So if you get a case for your Marshall and in a year or two decide to sell it and buy another brand and/or type of monitor, you can just get new foam and adjust it accordingly. Or you could use the case for something else entirely different as well.

Steve Shovlar
April 30th, 2006, 02:21 PM

http://www.steveshovlar.com/marshall.jpg

I use a Pele 1600. Loads of room and ideal. From the top left: Marshall LCD monitor, next to that I have my OTG enclosure, ten some 4x4 Tiffen filters, then a 82mm Nikon Skylight. Under them a Vocas 350 Matte Box, with cables. To the left of the Matte Box is the V-DV-PWR1 Power adaptor and the Sony batteries to power the Marshall. Above the batteries is the hot shoe adaptor.

You can of course go a smaller case than this buut if you have a bit of kit this is ideal.

Steev Dinkins
April 30th, 2006, 02:37 PM

http://web.mac.com/holyzoo1/iWeb/Site/Photos_02_files/IMG_4313.jpg

http://web.mac.com/holyzoo1/iWeb/Site/Photos_02_files/IMG_4315.jpg

Rick Darge
April 30th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Sah-weeet

How much was it to power the Marshall w/ the Sony Batteries ?

And Steev, is the bescor thing still working out for you?

I'm trying to decide which route to go, I was going to order the monitor tomorrow so I can have it by May 15

Steev Dinkins
April 30th, 2006, 05:00 PM

Yep, it's nice and compact and lasts for about 3-4 hours straight. Get 2 or 3 of them for a long shoot day, if you can afford it. For me, I'd like to get 1 more, for a total of 2 batteries.

Steve Shovlar
May 1st, 2006, 02:34 AM
Sah-weeet

How much was it to power the Marshall w/ the Sony Batteries ?

I'm trying to decide which route to go, I was going to order the monitor tomorrow so I can have it by May 15

The Marshall battery adaptor costs $299. It works superbly. The Sony batteries can be picked up off ebay for around $50 upwards. There is two ports for the Sonys but the adaptor works with just one. The extra slot is for a full day +'s shooting. Getting the bigger sony battery would see you all day really, so the other slot is almost redundant. The advantage of the Marshall adaptor over the Bescor is that there are no extra wires. It clips into the V Mount on the back of the monitor so is wire free and designed to work with the R70. Perfect!

Robert Leitner
May 2nd, 2006, 12:01 AM
Chris!

What do you think about this: ?

http://www.rowe.at/de/images/stories/M2VF/M2VF_promo.html

robert

Steev Dinkins
May 2nd, 2006, 01:17 AM
http://www.rowe.at/de/images/stories/M2VF/M2VF_promo.html

Or...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?p=473369&postcount=63

Rick Darge
May 2nd, 2006, 03:40 AM
Mucho Nice-o guyz

Where did you get the Sony battery adapter modification done?

thanks

Matt Irwin
May 2nd, 2006, 04:21 AM
Mucho Nice-o guyz

Where did you get the Sony battery adapter modification done?

thanks
That's actually a product that Marshall makes and sells. I would assume you could get one through any Marshall dealer.

Steve Shovlar
May 2nd, 2006, 04:55 AM
Yes it's a new product from Marshall, and saves buying a V mount battery setup.
For UK folks I got mine from here, first item. Came in three days.
http://www.ktechuk.com/ktb/ktbcgi/accframe.cgi

It runs off standard Sony camcorder batteries. The batteries are boosted to 12 volt from 7.2. The good thing about tis adaptor is that it uses the V Mount so there are no wires. Its quite light in weight so that's a pluss as well.
Costs $299 plus the sony batteries and charger, which can be picked up cheaply on ebay.

Highly recommended.

Scott Auerbach
May 5th, 2006, 11:33 AM
FYI, there's also a V-mount to Anton adapter plate available, for those of us who already have a bunch of Hytrons for other gear... not as lightweight as using a Sony battery, but it works quite well and is a bit cheaper.

Webb Pickersgill
May 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Scott,
I was looking for that V-Mount to A/B plate, but I couldn't find it on B&H. Do you have any links where to get it?

Hans Damkoehler
May 12th, 2006, 12:10 AM
That's actually a product that Marshall makes and sells. I would assume you could get one through any Marshall dealer.

Matt,

I noticed that you had a question about this setup in the MONITORS forum a few weeks back ... you seem to have gained some knowledge in this :o) Here's my questions for you or anyone:

1.) Does it matter what type of Sony batteries you get/recommendations?
2.) How much weight does this add to the rig ... total weight??
3.) Has anyone found a good deal on the Marshall V-DV-PWR1 mount in the US?

The battery dilemma has kept me away from the Marshall monitor because I really didn't want to drop c. $800 extra for V-Mount Batteries and a charger ... any additional thoughts/options are appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt Irwin
May 12th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Matt,

I noticed that you had a question about this setup in the MONITORS forum a few weeks back ... you seem to have gained some knowledge in this :o) Here's my questions for you or anyone:

1.) Does it matter what type of Sony batteries you get/recommendations?
2.) How much weight does this add to the rig ... total weight??
3.) Has anyone found a good deal on the Marshall V-DV-PWR1 mount in the US?

The battery dilemma has kept me away from the Marshall monitor because I really didn't want to drop c. $800 extra for V-Mount Batteries and a charger ... any additional thoughts/options are appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Hans,
Yes, I've been doing some research and I've played with the monitor at EVS. I'm going to pick one up next week.

1.) If i'm not mistaken, they would be the type used by the PD150/VX200 type cameras.
2.) I wouldn't imagine it would add more than on or two pounds, but I can't say for sure as I haven't seen that adapter in person and I haven't found a US dealer for it yet. I think Steve Shovlar has one, so maybe he can comment.

I was talking to Randy at EVS about the battery dilemma because I, like you, find it hard to justify buying an IDX kit JUST for the monitor. He mentioned belt batteries, which make a lot of sense to me. Just hang it around the sticks or on your waist. They usually cost a little over $200 US and will either plug right into the XLR power port or connect via an IDX adapter. A belt would easily run the monitor all day....

Steve Shovlar
May 12th, 2006, 02:20 AM
OK my thoughts on the Marshall V-DV-PWR1 mount. It works a treat! The adaptor slots into the V Mount on the back of the monitor and uses those terminals to power it. No cables at all!

The Marshall V-DV-PWR1 mount uses Sony NP-F770 or 970 batteries. You can pick these up relatively cheaply on ebay. (generic ones)

I did a test yesterday to see how long two Sony batteries would power the monitor. The Marshall V-DV-PWR1 mount has two slots, so I put two Sony NP-F770 batteries in and turned it on. It ran for just under 5 hours before the batteries ran out. I had the monitor on showing the colour bars. Not sure it it would make any difference it the monitor would be receiving a signal from the camera. So if using the larger 970 batteries I should think you would get an extra couple of hours. For a full days shoot I would recommend 4 batteries, or turn the monitor off during periods when you are nort shooting.

The advantages are that there are no cables, the Marshall V-DV-PWR1 mount is quite light, and it's inexpensive compared to an IDX kit, which seems overkill to me. I would say it is far far better than a battery belt or Buscor battery with messy cables, especially if you go handheld.

Prety sure an email to Marshall will sort out where to order one from in the uSA. Its a new product but a good one. And in my opinion the best way to go if you don't have IDX batteries kicking about.

I don't know where

Guy Cochran
May 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM
If you're looking for the Marshall V-DV-PWR1 mount you can find 'em over at http://www.dvcreators.net/lcd-monitors/

Scott Auerbach
May 15th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Scott,
I was looking for that V-Mount to A/B plate, but I couldn't find it on B&H. Do you have any links where to get it?
Sorry to take so long to respond... I've had my parents in town for their 50th anniversary, and have been offline.

I buy almost all my gear through Custom Supply in Birmingham...they're not quite as fast as B+H, but often less expensive, and they actually know their stuff, will ask tech reps questions for you and get back to you, and actually ~return calls~ and generally have astonishingly good customer service. They knew about the V- to Anton plate.

It's a product that's designed for the Sony field editor - the plate is marked NOT FOR CAMERA USE, apparently because it's a bit filmsy for the banging around you'd expect on the ass end of a ENG camera. But it seems to work fine on the Marshall--since it's fragile, I'm careful to not bang it around.

I don't have the part number for it, but Custom could help you out with that... www.mediasupplystore.com

Hans Damkoehler
May 15th, 2006, 11:14 PM
If you are using the Marshall in the field (with component in), is there anyway to send a feed to a monitor for the producer?
Does the Marshall have a loop through?

Leonard,

From what I can see on the monitor it DOES have a loop-through of the component IN's.

Check this out:

http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/vr70phda.html

Will Hanlon
May 27th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Where did you get your shoe mount adapter and what kind did you get? How do you attach this monitor to the HVX200?

Anyone know of a cheap 7" LCD hood for it?

Will Hanlon
May 27th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Well, between the V-LCD4-MT, which I can't seem to find anywhere to buy, and the Noga DG-1105, I guess I'm going with the Noga. I wish it was easier to find all of this stuff at one retailer. Or I wish this expensive monitor came with it.

I don't really want to drop $80 on a Hoodman 7" when it takes 7-10 days to get it, but I don't see many other solutions. Anyone else have suggestions? I could always just make one... they're not that complicated.