View Full Version : VHS to Sony HC1 via ilink? recommend a VCR?

Robert Nagle
May 2nd, 2006, 06:40 AM
Hi, there, I read in the manual for the HDR-HC1 that you can transfer VHS footage to HDR-HC1 miniDV tape via ilink cable.

My goal

Can anyone recommend a (cheap!) VCR with that capability? Obviously, if the original is VHS, there are going to be quality issues, but has anyone been relatively satisfied with this process? Is this one of those maybe-it-will-work-maybe-it-won't? Or is this going to be probably-going-to-work?

rj

Robert Nagle
May 2nd, 2006, 07:25 AM
Ok, i think i've learned a bit more.

Canopus ADVC-55 A/d Converter is one option, lets you direct VHS signal either to the camera or the PC.

(there's also ADVC110 Converter by the same company, but I can't tell the difference).

Have people had good experiences with this kind of device?

Steve House
May 2nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
Ok, i think i've learned a bit more.

Canopus ADVC-55 A/d Converter is one option, lets you direct VHS signal either to the camera or the PC.

(there's also ADVC110 Converter by the same company, but I can't tell the difference).

Have people had good experiences with this kind of device?

The 55 is uni-directional, can take VHS into the PC but not the otehr way around. The 110 is bi0directional, allowing you to ingest from VHS or export to VHS. Even better, it allows you to monitor your editing on a real TV monitor for previewing. The 55 does not.

Robert Nagle
May 2nd, 2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks for clarifying.

It looks like this thread is also helpful

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=64943&highlight=ADVC110