View Full Version : HVX200 Book

Will Hanlon
May 4th, 2006, 08:57 PM
This is just a shot in the dark, but Barry is there any chance you could sell a special online early version of your forthcoming HVX200 book? I wouldn't even care if it was edited. I'd just like to read something other than the manual before I start work on my friend's feature film, and I thought your DVX book was very informative.

Hans Damkoehler
May 4th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Barry, do you have a formal release date scheduled for your book? I look forward to it! Thanks again for sharing all that you do for FREE here on the forum! :o)

Barry Green
May 5th, 2006, 02:22 AM
There won't be an online version, no.

The main text and pictures are now done, and it's going to the printer in the next few days, assuming all goes well. So it's close!

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Darryl Phinnessee
May 5th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Barry, Will there also be a DVD Tutorial and when?

Barry Green
May 5th, 2006, 08:10 PM
The current package that is *almost* final, is a 230+ page spiral-bound book with lots of photos and color photos, covering every aspect of the HVX that I could think of to include, as well as specifics on operation, menu settings, focus, exposure, workflow, etc. Then there's a CD included that offers two dozen scene file settings as well as all the original photos from the book.

No tutorial DVD will be part of this package, although we may produce one in the future.

The words are done, the photos are done, the CD is done, now I'm just waiting to get the final graphics back from the designer before putting it all together and sending it to the printer... :)

Hans Damkoehler
May 5th, 2006, 08:50 PM
... now I'm just waiting to get the final graphics back from the designer before putting it all together and sending it to the printer... :)

Hope all goes well with the delivery! Please tell us where and when to send the cigars! Can't wait to see this baby! :o)

Darryl Phinnessee
May 6th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Thanks Barry,
Wow, from the sound of it, the formatting of the book with pics and added CD looks to be very, very exciting! (literally) Are there plans in the near future for another L.A. HVX200 Bootcamp?

Barry Green
May 6th, 2006, 02:36 AM
We'll definitely do another one in Los Angeles, yes. Haven't set the day yet though...

Dylan Couper
May 6th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Count me in for a copy of the book Barry.
(cause I lost my instruction manual in Africa :)

Fredrik-Larsson
May 26th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Anyone know if the book is out yet?

Cael Hazard
June 6th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Hey Dylan Cooper!

Go here to get the basic Panasonic book until Mr. Green's comes out...

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=93120&catGroupId=14571&surfModel=AG-HVX200&displayTab=R

It is at Panasonic's HD site under "Support and Resources"

We have four HVX-200's and FS-100 Firestores. Love it all!

John Jencks
June 22nd, 2006, 05:47 AM
Any further info on the book, my heals are snapping?
THanks
Jogn

Barry Green
June 22nd, 2006, 10:43 AM
It's done being printed and is being shipped cross-country right now. I have the companion CDs already, just waiting for the printed copies to arrive!

June 22nd, 2006, 10:49 AM
Barry,

Great news. What's the best way to get it the quickest? I visited your homepage from the link in your profile and did not see any details on ordering the book directly from you. Let us know - A direct link to your preferred route of ordering the book would be nice.

Chris Hurd
June 29th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Barry's book is now available... see http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/hvxbook/

Dylan Couper
June 29th, 2006, 08:13 PM
What's the deal with the Panasonic rebate program and the book?

Barry Green
June 30th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Thanks for putting the link in there, Chris!

With Panasonic USA, they're not doing a rebate (that was Jarred's wording on the website), but they are giving the book away for free to anyone who bought an HVX200P from an authorized USA dealer, including retroactively all the way back to the first units sold last December. However, the site isn't up yet, so you can't register yet, Jan said it'll be about a month before they have the site fully operational.

Dylan Couper
July 6th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks Barry
Do you think the free book extend to people who bought from Canadian authorized dealers too? :)

Jeff Kilgroe
July 6th, 2006, 11:14 AM

With Panasonic USA, they're not doing a rebate (that was Jarred's wording on the website), but they are giving the book away for free to anyone who bought an HVX200P from an authorized USA dealer, including retroactively all the way back to the first units sold last December. However, the site isn't up yet, so you can't register yet, Jan said it'll be about a month before they have the site fully operational.

That's cool and all, but I went ahead and ordered the book anyway. I suppose I'll still apply for the free book, but I'm not sure what I'd do with it. heh.

Dean Sensui
July 6th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Looking forward to getting the book, Barry.

Started doing a few paying jobs with this camera and, while I now know the basics, it would be nice to become truly proficient with it.

Thanks for doing all that hard work!

Jeff Kilgroe
July 6th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Alrighty... Received my HVX book today! Looks pretty darn good, but I haven't had a chance to start reading yet, maybe this weekend... :)

Barry Green
July 6th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks Barry
Do you think the free book extend to people who bought from Canadian authorized dealers too? :)

That's a question for the marketing director of Panasonic Canada. Each territory decides how to spend their marketing dollars. Panasonic NZ and Panasonic US have decided that their customers are served by giving away this product (and US also gives away InstantHD and Magic Bullet Editors with the DVX, of course). If any other territories want to participate, I'll gladly answer the phone! :)

Scott Schuster
July 6th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Barry the last page I have in the HVX book is page 270 in the index section and ends with Raylight . Is this correct?
Went to look for 'saving' and it seemed like I was missing pages of the index.

David Saraceno
July 7th, 2006, 09:16 AM
That would be correct.

Bird Youmans
July 11th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Just got my HVX 200. How do we get instant HD and magic bullet?

Thanks,

Bird

Scott Auerbach
August 1st, 2006, 08:15 PM

A little over a month since this post. Fingers crossed; still nothing on the Panasonic site that I can find.

Barry Green
August 1st, 2006, 09:02 PM
Actually someone from a dealership posted a PDF of the mail-in form, so that's got to indicate that it's imminent...

Here's the form that you can print out and mail. http://www.silverado.cc/hvx200rf.pdf

On another forum Jan said that the website should be active tomorrow or, at the latest, Thursday, so you could register for it online soon.

August 10th, 2006, 08:21 AM
The icon for the Barry Green HVX book offer is now on Panasonic's site. Here's a direct link -

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SpecialOffersForModel?storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=93120&surfModel=AG-HVX200

or you can get there from going to http://www.panasonic.com/broadcast then going to the HVX200 section.

Denis Danatzko
August 13th, 2006, 09:21 AM
The icon for the Barry Green HVX book offer is now on Panasonic's site. Here's a direct link -

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SpecialOffersForModel?storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=93120&surfModel=AG-HVX200

or you can get there from going to http://www.panasonic.com/broadcast then going to the HVX200 section.

I've had my HVX since April, but just saw this link and immediately registered.

Any idea how long it might take for delivery?

August 13th, 2006, 09:30 AM
no telling. Maybe a week, maybe four. Depends on how efficient Panasonic has its processes in place for this promotion. There's this thread -

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=73215

in the Sticky section where Jan mentioned the books in stock, so hopefully soon. I got to see the book at an HVX training course in Austin hosted by Omega Broadcast. Jan was there both days doing part of the training and she had the book. I thought it was well done from what I read and I also liked the way it was bound with a big heavy spiral to make it easy to open it up to a page and keep it there while you work with your camera.

Denis Danatzko
August 29th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Took only slightly more than 2 wks. Not bad, considering I only registered on August 13. :) Now, do I continue editing the job I'm working on, or read the book...decisions, decisions. ;)

August 29th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Denis,

Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully I'll get mine soon as well. Will post when I do to give others a reference on time.

Michael Younger
August 29th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Crazy...I submitted for mine many weeks ago and never heard anything back. :(

James Gleason
August 29th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Same here. I ordered it the day the post went up and I'm still waiting. ...I hate waiting.

Ken Willinger
August 29th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Mine was waiting for me in the mail today when I got back from my job. I'll be happy reading tonight!

Brian Sargent
August 30th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I registered for the book a day or two after the link was made available and it just go to me yesterday ( I live no more than 30min. from where it was being shipped from). I imagine everyone else should start seeing them arrive any day now. Of course there is no mail this coming Monday...

August 31st, 2006, 01:04 PM
Another happy book owner here.

Douglas Villalba
September 2nd, 2006, 08:13 AM
I just got mine yesterday.

Denis Danatzko
September 3rd, 2006, 10:35 AM
especially for someone like me, who isn't terribly savvy about the technical aspects of videogaphy and/or cinematography, e.g. frame rates and the effects/limitatoins specific to using one vs another. In fact, I find myself reading and re-reading to fully digest points made. (Not that it's unclear; the plethora of combinations is just a lot to absorb). Have learned lots already, and am only about 1/4 through the book.

If you registered a long time ago, and haven't rec'd it yet, I'd suggest following up. While I was lucky enough not to have to do that, I'd advise others to not lose-out on getting the book. Some info may be old hat to many here, but for me, it's been a big help in understanding the medium as well as the camera.

James Gleason
September 19th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I'm still waiting...

I went to the Pany page and signed up again. There was no notice about having signed up in the past.

I wish there was a way to track your order/request.

Chris Hurd
September 19th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Just buy it directly from Barry and you'll have it within a couple of days. Then when the one from Panasonic arrives, you'll have two handy copies... keep one at your desk and throw the other one in with your camera gear. It's well worth having two of them around... especially since one of them is free.

Justin Connor
September 20th, 2006, 02:01 AM
We'll definitely do another one in Los Angeles, yes. Haven't set the day yet though...

I live in Los Angeles and would be VERY interested in the bootcamp...can yo uadd me to the list?

cheers,
justin

James Gleason
September 20th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Chris, stupid question but, how do I buy it directly from Barry? Is this info on the DV Info Net site? I looked, but didn't see it.

Chris Hurd
September 20th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Buy it using PayPal here: http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/hvxbook/