View Full Version : Sennheiser Wireless Microphone ew112-p

Dan Burnap
May 7th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Is this model (i.e without the 'G2') still worth a buy for groom mic'ing purposes.

What's the difference between the G2 and non-G2 models?

Thanks

Peter Jefferson
May 8th, 2006, 03:53 AM
channels, battery life, and size

The freq response of the mic head itself (ME4 <cardoid> or ME2 <Omni> ) is identical, The SN ratios is almost identical to the transmitters and recievers when using XLR. The major MAJOR difference is baterry life, the G1 http://www.studio-d.com.au/images/mic.jpg is what i use as well as a G2, (I dont have this on file)

G1, Battery Life 90 minutes with Rechargable NiMh 8.2v
G2 Battery Life 6 hours with AA 2500Nmh

G1 Range - 150 metres straight line, 75 metres walls, trees
G2 Range - 100 metres straght line 50 metres walls etc

G1 Screw in antenna, not very flexible
G2 Fixed antenna very flexible

G1 channel - 360 (from memory)
G2 channel - 4 Banks of 360 (total 1440 channels)

G2 has a backlit LCD monitor which allows u to eailymonitor, while the G1, has an LCD, but not as "info packed"
G2 also has a seek blank channel function, G1 doent have this, BUT im yet to ever need this anyway.. (ive run 6 mics without a problem, all on seperate channels

G1, much more robust and looks like a transmitter
G1, Looks weak, but it quite sturdy. Not as the G1 though. Looks like a pager

Dan Burnap
May 8th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Thanks Peter, that's excellent information, just what I was after

Yoochul Chong
May 8th, 2006, 08:39 AM
yeah the screw on antenna's suck. i've lost one already and its a $12.50 replacement with sennheiser. not too bad.

also, the g1 run off the 9 volt. where did you get the nimh 9 volt style batteries?

Yooch

Peter Jefferson
May 18th, 2006, 01:00 AM
hey Yoochul
the 9v style 8.2v nimh was purchased from Jaycar here in aus, but basically any electronic hobbyist store will stock them.

U really have to watch the heat on these (ie leaving them in the boot of the car) as they have the tendency to split.

9v recharchables should be available by now as well though..

with these rechargables, u should get about 90minutes air time, with good alkalines (Energizer, Duracell) u should be able to squeeze another 45minutes out of them

Damian Clarke
July 15th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Thank-god I searched and just read this thread, I was about to buy a G1 system off eBay. That battery life is pants...and with a 9v! Sod that I'll wait for something else to come along.

Oh, just a question while I'm here..for anyone in the UK could you please recommend any sites or stores which sell any of the Audio Technica bodypack systems? I've been searching for ages and all I seem to get are the handheld mic and rackmount versions. Arggghh....

Rick Steele
July 15th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Is this model (i.e without the 'G2') still worth a buy for groom mic'ing purposes.

What's the difference between the G2 and non-G2 models?

ThanksI think most are missing the main reason to go to the G2... it has a frequency scanner built in that will find a unused channel. No more guessing. (As long as the venue has their system fired up when you scan of course).

And personally, I'd never use something that requires a pricey 9volt battery. Because they're so expensive, it's tempting to keep reusing them and you really don't know when they'll fail. AA are about 40 cents each, provide long life and are disposable. Just load your gear with fresh ones before each shoot and chuck 'em after. Or put save 'em for your nose hair trimmer. :)

Jim Fields
July 15th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I have the ew 100 G2 model Lav and I love it. When I film concerts I use it to tap the board, and even at weddings. I have no problems with it and that lav has been through hell.