View Full Version : Auto Sound Recording

Douglas Villalba
May 8th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Can this camara record auto level audio? If it can, I can't find the way to do it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Barry Green
May 8th, 2006, 11:17 AM
There is no auto audio control. All level control is done manually by the potentiometers.

The only auto audio setting is a limiter, which can help protect against your peaks distorting (in the menus, it'd be MIC ALC ON). But that's just a limiter, not a level control.

Douglas Villalba
May 8th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks Barry,
I just got it last week and have had much time to play with it.
I'm still trying to figure out how to copy the card to my mac. :)
I used it at a wedding as 4th camera in DV mode. Still waiting for the FS-100 to shoot the whole thing in HD.

By the way i loved your 2 frame mov.

Niels Neeskens
May 8th, 2006, 03:43 PM
A question of a different order but about audio. I have an old Senheiser MK300. Is there any change to use this on the camera for the audio?

Thanks
Niels

Robert Lane
May 8th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Douglas,

As an FYI: The ALC works great, and the standard 12-o'clock posiitoning for the pots seems to be the near-perfect place to have them.

All of my audio capture has been either the built-in stereo mics (which have amazingly good stereo separation, I might add) and with the Senn G2 Evo lav mics. When using lavs if the subject raises their voice or even screams (like when being pinched in the ass) the ALC keeps things from clipping and provides a natural peak roll-off. Really nice audio ciruitry design went into the HVX.

I too kinda missed the AUTO-LEVEL function of the Z1 or the XL2 but so far I've yet to run into an audio situation the ALC circuitry in the HVX couldn't handle.