View Full Version : HVX and Clicking Noise

Tom Reid
May 12th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Took delivery of an HVX and have been testing for a week. If the camera is "on" and both the zoom and focus servos are enabled or disabled everything seems fine. However, when the camera is powered "off", I have a clicking rattle noise if the camera is tilted up and down. Is this OK? Seems like when this is on a plane as baggage and powered "off" that anything moving inside the camera would be bad. Barry or anyone know what the deal is? Thanks.

Peter Jefferson
May 12th, 2006, 09:45 AM
have u read the manual bro??

have u ever used a DVX100 or a DVC unit before??

Dude, its the Gyro of teh Optical image stabiliser... thats all.. this is perfectly normal.. when the cam is on, the magnetic spinning gyro "floats" so u wont hear this (no matter how hard u try to shake the cam to hear it... )

its all good..

Hans Damkoehler
May 12th, 2006, 10:50 AM
anyone know what the deal is? Thanks.

You have now been formally inducted into the Panny/HVX world!

My heart stopped when I pulled my brand new HVX out of the box only to hear something loose inside ... I immediately posted the question here, just like you ... so let me say:

Welcome! Enjoy your perfectly fine camera! :o)

Chris Hurd
May 12th, 2006, 11:23 AM
See operator's manual page 122.

Tom Reid
May 12th, 2006, 11:45 AM
OK...thanks. Geez guys, the answer is the next to the last item on the "before calling service" list!

Anyway, glad it's no big deal. It's funny that the optical image stablizer on a Canon doesn't do that and my mechanical gyros don't do that either.

Just glad it's nothing to worry about. Love the image and especially the variable frame rates. P2 store to mac is very simple. Already planning on a second camera!

Thanks again...I glad the camera (and me) can take a few hits!

Hans Damkoehler
May 12th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I'm glad the camera (and me) can take a few hits!

Tom ... you're a good sport! Hope you come back here often ... tons of great info here and good people! Sometimes the razzing happens but, thanks to guys like Chris, Barry, (I could create a very long list) it's the safest (and technically strong) forum I've found.

Enjoy!

Hans Damkoehler
May 12th, 2006, 11:57 AM
OK...thanks ... a few hits!

... and you've gotta understand that for Peter it's like 3:00 in the morning over there in Australia!

Go to sleep, mate!

:o)

Jon Glen
May 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM
lol i still get a chuckle out of that "clicking noise" question appearing in these threads, it's an oldie but a goodie for sure ;)

Dylan Couper
May 13th, 2006, 12:43 PM
It still freaks me out a little everytime I hear it. :)

Peter Jefferson
May 15th, 2006, 06:07 AM
... and you've gotta understand that for Peter it's like 3:00 in the morning over there in Australia!

Go to sleep, mate!

:o)
sleep?? Whats that??