View Full Version : P2 import, what am I missing

Kathy Nielsen
May 17th, 2006, 07:46 AM
I loaded up a iBook G4 with Final cut Pro to take into the field with me. I installed the P2 driver from (PCdriver_mac.zip). So now, away from home: When I try to import the P2 files from hard drive, I get an error saying "probable incomplete or corrupt clips." I don't think it is the data though.

I'm running FCP 5.0.1, Quicktime 7.1, I shot 720p24n

Two reasons I don't think it is the data: I can't import data that I had previously imported into my G5; and when the media was on the P2, I could read the data with the P2viewer for PCs.

Am I missing something in the setup--any clues?

David Tamés
May 17th, 2006, 08:02 AM
You said you were importing from a folder on your hard drive, is that folder an indentical copy of the P2 card? Does it contain all of the folders/files that the P2 card had?

A P2 card created with an HVX200 will have the following folder layout, the folder on your hard drive can be called anything but it must be an identical copy of the P2 card:

CONTENTS/
LASTCLIP.TXT

The CONTENTS folder contains the following folders:

VOICE/ (HVX does not populate this folder)
VIDEO/ (video essence *.MXF)
PROXY/ (HVX does not populate this folder)
ICON/ (icons *.BMP)
CLIP/ (video metadata *.XML)
AUDIO/ (audio essence *.MXF)

If the LASTCLIP.TXT file is missing, it can be recreated (do a search to find the post on that) but if critical metadata, video or audio files are missing, FCP's P2 Import is going to be very unhappy. P2 viewer on a PC is more forgiving.

I've been importing from P2 cards with FCP Ver. 5.0.4 without a hitch, so I don't know if there might be a version issue here.

David Saraceno
May 17th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I may be wrong on this, but isn't p2 support in 5.0.4?

Shane Ross
May 17th, 2006, 09:21 AM
David is right. You need FCP 5.0.4 in order to import FCP properly.

A video tutorial on how to import P2 into FCP can be found here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/page_wrapper.cgi?forumid=8&page=http://www.creativecow.net/articles/ross_shane/p2_workflow/index.html

David Tamés
May 17th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I may be wrong on this, but isn't p2 support in 5.0.4?

David's right, I just verified that it the 5.0.4 update to FCP added support for HVX200 P2 import, log, and capture.