View Full Version : Bogen / Manfrotto 560B Fluid Video Monopod - what do you think?

Floris van Eck
May 21st, 2006, 03:53 PM
I was looking for a good tripod at the Bogen / Manfrotto site when I saw the announcement of the 560B Fluid Video Monopod. I am in need of a sturdy tripod, but am also looking for a compact/light-weight tripod for my trips in the nature. This looks like a very good option. But as I have never worked with monopods for video, I would like to get some feedback from people who have worked with video and monopods. With a monopod like this, can you get steady footage or is this a bad solution for a light-weight stabilizer? I am not sure if I want to be setting up a tripod over and over again during my summer holiday in italy during which I will do a great amount of sight-seeing.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/4421?livid=103%7C113&idx=116

BH Photo Video has it listed for arrival in July for $149.

Michael Liebergot
May 22nd, 2006, 07:23 AM
I had posted this in another forum here.

Monopods are great, and I currently have a bogen monopod with retractable feet, but they are too wirey and springy for proper support.

This monopod seems much more stable and handy for run and gun purposes with a light setup. And teh fluid base will be a very welcome addition.

Floris van Eck
May 22nd, 2006, 12:59 PM
Exactly. I am looking for something for backpacking and I am not sure if I want to carry around a heavy tripod. As there are no real light tripods (below 1 kg) with good quality heads, this might be a solution.

I am just considering my options at this moment. But as this product is not out yet, I suppose nobody can tell more about it.

Sheila Ward
July 25th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I've ordered the 560B and it should be here by Friday. I'll be playing with it this weekend so I'll post my thoughts on how it works out. I've never used a monopod before, but I need something light to use while walking around factories and farmland for an upcoming shoot.

Vince Lucena
July 29th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Sheila::

Look forward to your next post, as I am also interested in this Monopod.

Sheila Ward
July 31st, 2006, 08:30 PM
I got it Friday but haven't had much time with it. After playing with it a little around the house, I have no regrets about the purchase. It is very light, and the pan feature is a great asset. The legs fold down easily and it only takes a slight turn to get a smooth pan.

The true test will be next week when I take it to a shoot where I will be outside, shooting and walking. I'll post again after that with my real world opinion.

Vince Lucena
August 1st, 2006, 02:52 PM
By chance, what is the weight of your recorder?

I have a Canon XL2; with light attachment it weighs in at around 10 pounds.

Troy Davis
August 2nd, 2006, 11:38 AM
I got it Friday but haven't had much time with it. After playing with it a little around the house, I have no regrets about the purchase. It is very light, and the pan feature is a great asset. The legs fold down easily and it only takes a slight turn to get a smooth pan.

The true test will be next week when I take it to a shoot where I will be outside, shooting and walking. I'll post again after that with my real world opinion.

Hi Sheila,

I purchased this item as well and my only gripe may be that I think you're restricted with the provided quick release plate. It would be nice if I could use my Bogen 577 quick release plate. Other than that everything seems to be perfect. It's very light and the legs seem to be a lot more solid than other models. I will be testing mine out this weekend. I will keep everyone updated.

Troy

Sheila Ward
August 2nd, 2006, 10:57 PM
Vince,
I'm using it with a PD170, which weighs about 4lbs. With the wireless receiver or shotgun mike, I would say total weight is a little under 5 lbs.

Troy,
Fortunately for me, I use the 3157 QR for everything except my main tripod (which uses the 3433). So that keeps my switching of QR plates to a minimum. I look forward to hearing what you think after you use it a bit.

Sheila

Loren Miller
August 16th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Sheila-

I just want to be clear, the legs on your 560B do not in any way support the camera without your intervention, am I right? The legs are for added stability only?

I'm actually looking for a monopod-like tripod, soemthing I can run and gun with yet put down reliable roots for sticks-like quick interviews. Thanks to this thread, I haven't seen anything yet! ;-)

- Loren

Sheila Ward
August 16th, 2006, 03:54 PM
That's correct Loren. It is only to help you steady the shot. If you let go it goes boom :-)

Your only option may be to go with a lightweight tripod. But even lightweight tripods are bulky when you are shooting run and gun.

Loren Miller
August 16th, 2006, 10:17 PM
This is where invention begins! ;-)

- Loren

Michael Liebergot
August 18th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Hi Sheila,

I purchased this item as well and my only gripe may be that I think you're restricted with the provided quick release plate. It would be nice if I could use my Bogen 577 quick release plate. Other than that everything seems to be perfect. It's very light and the legs seem to be a lot more solid than other models. I will be testing mine out this weekend. I will keep everyone updated.

Troy
Troy, just place this QR assemnly on the Monopod and you're set.

Bogen / Manfrotto 577 Quick Release Adapter Assembly
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=241139&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

You can either remove (unscrew) the tilt head and mount (screw on) the 577 QR assembly on. Or if you really need the tilt head, then just attach the 577 QR assembly to the quick release plate of the pan tilt head.
I do this for use with my DVRig Pro (uses a different assembly than the 577 that goes wth my 501 tripod head, Manfrotto 3273 Quick Release Adapter), and have the assembly attached to my monopod, and 2 different tripod heads. Works perfectly fine, and you now can use the same QR plates with everything.

Joe Bradley
September 12th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I purchased this rig a couple of weeks ago. It is sturdy with good fit and finish. I like the quick release leg levers. The fluid assembly at the foot is smooth and seems to have just the right amount of drag. I have used it twice. Once with Panasonic DVC-80 (4.4 pounds), and the other with Panasonic GS-400 (about 2 pounds). The first was a concert where I was working up close to the band. The other was a water ski slalom where I was riding facing rearward and panning back and forth with the action. The foot really help steady the pod and make smooth pans. The quick release has a lock so you can't accidentally knock the camera off. The only thing I didn't like when I first used it was the tilt head doesn't lock into a fixed position so it can loosen up and rotate (unscrew) when in use. To lock it I drilled and tapped a hole down through the casting at the rear of the head and screwed a bolt down onto the rubber plate underneath. That holds it together fwell, yet can easily be removed. This pod should hold up a long while and makes for some very steady shots. I plan to use it with my digital still camera as well.

Troy Davis
November 6th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Troy, just place this QR assemnly on the Monopod and you're set.

Bogen / Manfrotto 577 Quick Release Adapter Assembly
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=241139&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

You can either remove (unscrew) the tilt head and mount (screw on) the 577 QR assembly on. Or if you really need the tilt head, then just attach the 577 QR assembly to the quick release plate of the pan tilt head.
I do this for use with my DVRig Pro (uses a different assembly than the 577 that goes wth my 501 tripod head, Manfrotto 3273 Quick Release Adapter), and have the assembly attached to my monopod, and 2 different tripod heads. Works perfectly fine, and you now can use the same QR plates with everything.

As you can tell I haven't been to the forum in a while. I have since recorded two weddings w/ the monopod and while it does take some getting use to the amount of mobility is great. Once I get better at being fluid this should work out well. As for the QR, I actually bought another one similar to the one that came with the MP and have been using it. However, I will give the 577 a try.

Thanks Much!!!
Troy

Meryem Ersoz
November 6th, 2006, 05:33 PM
i'll have some footage online in a few days which i shot with this...with my canon HV10, it is the absolute best accessory out there for this cam. you get mad smooth pans, and tripod-still footage when you let the camera rest on it stand-alone. it's fantastic for light cameras. i can't say enough good things about it for portability. i hiked all over the desert with this monopod and had no regrets leaving even my lightest tripod behind. it takes a little practice to get super smooth, but it is light years better than my old regular monopod, and the legs are a much more stable platform than those wiry kind.

now, i also have an FX-1, which i used to shoot a friend's wedding, and it was great, but it is more limited than with the HV10. i would be reluctant to let the camera stand alone for tripod-like stillness, because it can't completely bear the extra weight. also, the extra weight settles the camera into the legs in such a way that the pans have considerably less range of motion than with the HV10 because there is a sticking point where the weight of the camera "catches" the fluid ball joint. so you can still do smooth pans and tilts, but within a limited range. it was great for the wedding, though, because i was very mobile, and i could get great overhead shots standing on a chair that i could not have gotten easily with a tripod....

i only hope they make a beefier version of this monopod which works a little better with the FX-1 and with my heavier cameras. i would buy one in a heartbeat!

John C. Chu
September 4th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I know this thread is old, but I have been thrilled with the Manfrotto Video Monopod 560B-1 on the Rebel T2i. With the Tamron 17-50, it is bit front heavy but it can actually stand by itself if needed.

Harry Simpson
November 4th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I've got a Manfrotto tripod and the 701HDV and was looking for a heavy duty monopod and was disappointed when I unpacked the 560 today. It is really for flip cams and light dslr. My 5dMK2 w/battery grip is too much for it and the quick release is a very small adaptor.

Packing it up and returning to B&H tomorrow.
My search continues.......

Roger Shealy
November 4th, 2010, 06:20 PM
John, I wouldn't trust that monopod to stand by itself! I have both the 560 and the 561 (heavier duty with fluid tilt). I love them both, but the 561 is a little heavy and not needed for the DSLR's I now use.

What I've really enjoyed lately is the 560 you have and replaced the head with a inexpensive Velbon PH368 head. I lock the pan knob on the tripod (pan using the monopod) and use the tilt of the Velbon. Silky smooth. You could use another head of your choice, but the results are great and the head was only about $30. Here's what it looks like: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-7d-hd/467647-bogen-560b-velbon-ph-368-head-beautiful-combination-portability.html