View Full Version : HVX-200 and M2 Adapter Footage

Vincent Pascoe
May 25th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Here’s a new Teaser I cut for Yesterdays Tomorrow. I shot it with my HVX-200 and M2 Adapter.

Large 160mb 640x480

http://files.filefront.com/YT_HI_Rezmov/;5077945;;/fileinfo.html

Medium 60mb 320x240

http://files.filefront.com/YT_for_Myspacemov/;5079547;;/fileinfo.html

Small Streaming off my myspace page

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=766063772&n=2

HVX-200
1x 8GIG card
2x 4 GIG cards
Cartoni Focus
century .6 wide angle adapter
varizoom

Nikon mount
28mm F/2.8
50mm Macro f/2.8 ED
50mm F/2

28mm-105mm F/2.8
80mm-200mm F/2.8 ED
70mm-300mm F/5.6

Greg Bates
May 25th, 2006, 06:54 PM
That looks damn good!

Robert Lane
May 25th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Now THAT's what I call film-making.

Great job Vince; glad to see so many local spots in the segment; Civic Plaza tunnel, Mill Ave Bridge, I-17 offramp to I-10 and what looks like Kiwanis Park (?). Very, very cool.

Vincent Pascoe
May 25th, 2006, 10:50 PM
"Civic Plaza tunnel, Mill Ave Bridge, I-17 offramp to I-10 and what looks like Kiwanis Park"

Wow you where Dead on right about the I-17 to I-10 off ramp! Sharp eye its only in there for 16 frames! Kiwanis Park is ether the Anthem Park shot of the train park tunel at Mcdonel and inden bend... but yes you got the civic center tonel too...you should be a Location scout...

VP

May 26th, 2006, 07:32 AM
That's beautiful stuff. Great music timed well with your editing too!

Are you using the new HD achromat with the M2? I just got mine in the mail, but have not had the chance to use it yet. Just curious. Thanks for posting your inspiring work!

Mark Wells
May 26th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Very nice.

Vincent Pascoe
May 27th, 2006, 11:52 AM
no I was useing the 55m Acromat on the HVX. on some lenses we had Edge to edge Sharpnes others not maybee the HD acromat would help...I did order the Follow Foucus, nothing like haveing your camera on a Dolly on a 6ft Ubangi 6ft up in the air going through a doorway wile your AC has to rack above his head with no marks because there only on the top of the lens.

VP

Peter Richardson
May 27th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Awesome Vincent. Is the trailer for a feature, or a short? How did you get the streaking on the time-lapse stuff in the car through the tunnel? 1/24 shutter?

Peter

Vincent Pascoe
May 27th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Its for a Feature, but the Cut is more for my reel then a acual Teaser or trailer because it dosn't tell story.

The Car mount Timelapse was all done 2fps with a 350 Degree shutter... very fun... but beware I just this morning had a timelapse stop rolling because of a "rec warning Erorr" I guesss becuase I was useing the 2fps Sceen file hack.

VP

Matt Stedeford
July 8th, 2006, 04:15 PM
The footage looks nice. I notice that the image zooms in/out slightly as the focus changes. Is that an inherent factor with the M2 or the static lens you used?

Andrew McCarrick
July 8th, 2006, 11:48 PM
That looks awsome. Have you ever transfered M2/hvx footage to film? If so how'd it look? Would the M2 or the Mini35 transfer better to film?

Andrew McCarrick
July 8th, 2006, 11:51 PM
The footage looks nice. I notice that the image zooms in/out slightly as the focus changes. Is that an inherent factor with the M2 or the static lens you used?
When you rack focus like that, that always happens, shifting focus in the frame moves an internal part in the lense causing a small zoom type of effect. Atleast that's what I've always seen.

Ash Greyson
July 9th, 2006, 01:07 AM
That is an effect known as breathing... you wont get it from good cine lenses but most cheaper video lenses and still lenses exhibit the effect.

ash =o)

Robert Double
July 9th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Superb cinematography and use of the M2 !

Well done vincent - I really enjoyed your clip.

Now I have a few questions for you :)

What sort of budget did you have for the shoot?
What size cast & crew did you have?
Did you just use an HVX, or did you have a multi-cam setup?
How did you manage post w/ the HVX?

Again well done !

Mathieu Ghekiere
July 9th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Wow, that cinematography is just amazing!
I, like Robert above me, want to know more about the production too, seems very interesting!

Ryan Maes
July 9th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Dear God, Vincent, your footage is amazing! This is the most impressive stuff I've seen you do to date! Post a link to it on my site. Awesome!

Joey Dee
July 23rd, 2006, 11:18 PM
wowwwwww... very impressive... well done!!!

I dont know wht a m2 is.. what is it? Also great cinematography!!!

Joey Dee

Ben Gurvich
July 24th, 2006, 01:02 AM
wowwwwww... very impressive... well done!!!

I dont know wht a m2 is.. what is it? Also great cinematography!!!

Joey Dee
Joey, m2 refers to the redrock micro 35mm adapter (www.redrockmicro.com). These adapters (mini35 being the original) result in a very close to film look largely due to the fact that FILM or SLR lenses have a much more shallow depth of field than video. Large depth of field being a very "Video Look".

Soeren Mueller
July 24th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Vincent, looks really great! However.. you really used the 55mm achromat? Wow... did you do any tweaking (I guess so ;o) to the adapter.. if so, what?! Would be great to hear some of the experience you gained using the M2 with the HVX... as there's quite a bunch of folks out there that have some setup problems. Thx!

Bill Pryor
July 24th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Vincent, did you do the magnet on the VF trick or did you shoot with the image upside down in your VF?

Ash Greyson
July 24th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Funny most people are commenting about the camera... the camera work is very nice but the lighting is what makes this clip, it is top notch, the only thing that is special about the camera itself is the frame rates. A camera will NOT make your footage look like this, is requires great imagination and terrific lighting. It is very well blocked and thought out too...

ash =o)

Soeren Mueller
July 25th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Yes sure, but I doubt that you'd have so much image detail captured with a 320 x 240 webcam or something similar... ;)

Barry Goyette
July 25th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Vincent,

Echoing everyone else here, great job on everything in the clip. It's startling to see what you did with this camera.

Is it possible to post a few full size frames so we could see the full quality you're getting with the HVX-M2 combination?

Karl Ferron
August 9th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Okay, peeps, there are noobs around here. Would you please explain some of these terms you use? I understand that you know alot about shooting with the DVX100/A and HVX200 cameras, but a fair number of people are trying to understand what's going on, whether to purchase the HVX camera (I just got one), and where to go from there as far as tweaking the camera for the best possible shots.

You know what I'd like? I would truly like people to submit their scene file info with clips they've shot. We can pop the prefs into our SD cards and shoot in similar fashion as long as the light is somewhere in the ballpark.

Perhaps there can be a forum where people can post some of their scene files, so others can actually see what's going on inside the cameras. B4 you say ... whatever... I know that much of what was shot dealt with artificial light, and it was shot superbly. But there are many scenes where info including frame rates, colors, hues, sharpness, etc can be posted, for many who shoot with these cameras.

Thanks!

Robert Kirkpatrick
August 10th, 2006, 09:09 AM
This is excellent footage. I'm assuming that this is not the original "naked" footage from the camera, but that it has been color-corrected. (For some reason, I keep thinking I saw a tutorial or example posted regarding the fence chase scene -- but I can't remember.) Did you use After Effects to color grade?

Scott Auerbach
August 10th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Okay, peeps, there are noobs around here. Would you please explain some of these terms you use? I understand that you know alot about shooting with the DVX100/A and HVX200 cameras, but a fair number of people are trying to understand what's going on, whether to purchase the HVX camera (I just got one), and where to go from there as far as tweaking the camera for the best possible shots.

You know what I'd like? I would truly like people to submit their scene file info with clips they've shot. We can pop the prefs into our SD cards and shoot in similar fashion as long as the light is somewhere in the ballpark.

Check out the Search function here. Given the number of posts daily on this forum, it's really unrealistic to expect people to explain down to the most basic level of detail on every single post. I suspect any terms you're unfamiliar with already have numerous threads that thoroughly explain them.

As for scene file info... really, that's ~not~ going to help you to the degree you seem to think it will. You really aren't going to be able to look at a clip and know whether your own lighting setup is "somewhere in the ballpark". If you've ever been on a feature set and seen the lighting by eye (or watched some behind-the-scenes extras on DVDs), then seen the final result, you'll realize that it's pretty hard to judge by the filmed result what the lighting really looked like on-set.

Ditto on hue, color balance, etc. You don't know what colors the sets/costume/etc actually were, and you don't know what the color of the light was (whether daylight or gelled artificial light). And you certainly don't know what's happened in post.

It's a bit like a Nikon calendar where each photo includes the shutter speed and aperture it's shot at....as if that really tells you how to make a good photograph. It doesn't.

The 55mm and 72mm achromats are two different lens sizes available as part of the Redrock M2 system used on Vincent's shoot. They relay the prime lens image back to the HVX's lens. There'd be further details on Redrock Micro's user forum.

Phil Bloom
February 9th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Its for a Feature, but the Cut is more for my reel then a acual Teaser or trailer because it dosn't tell story.

The Car mount Timelapse was all done 2fps with a 350 Degree shutter... very fun... but beware I just this morning had a timelapse stop rolling because of a "rec warning Erorr" I guesss becuase I was useing the 2fps Sceen file hack.

VP

I had this problem with anything rolling in real time for over 90 minutes in hacked 2fps mode

Drew Curran
February 9th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Funny most people are commenting about the camera... the camera work is very nice but the lighting is what makes this clip, it is top notch, the only thing that is special about the camera itself is the frame rates. A camera will NOT make your footage look like this, is requires great imagination and terrific lighting. It is very well blocked and thought out too...

I agree. This is a very well shot film. Well done

Andrew

Ken Willinger
February 9th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I'm curious what scene file settings you used to get the blacks so clean. CineD I think gives you the most latitude when messing with the video in post, and it's clear that the footage was well massaged (and nicely done). So how did you get the blacks to look so good? Thanks.