View Full Version : groan.... i was volunteered for a wedding

Dylan Couper
February 11th, 2003, 11:56 AM
TO make the painful part quick, and I'm sure it's familliar to many of you, my loving fiancee volunteered me to film a co-workers wedding, for free.

So, I'm shooting a wedding, may it be the last.

Problem - I have never seen a wedding video, and don't really know what they are supposed to look like. Hell, I haven't even been to a wedding in 15 years or so. I have a good idea what goes on, but I'd like to watch a couple to make sure. Does anyone in the Vancouver area have any wedding videos I can borrow for a couple nights? I will pick up and return them.

So far my plan is.... Huddle in a ball and cry until it's all over. Failing that, I'm using three XL1's for the ceremony (thanks to Keith Loh who volunteered to help me after I told him it's a great place to pick up chicks). Then for the reception, Keith and I will have an XL1 each, plus I will have my ZR40 to hand around for people to shoot personal greetings for the B&G. Also planning on shooting footage of the B&G preparing for the wedding before hand.

Audio, I'm going to have a shotgun mic on one camera as a backup, but for my main audio I have two choices.
1) rent a pair of wireless Lav mics and wire up the B&G.
2) strategicaly place a cardioid mic hooked up to my MD player (or wired via a long XLR cable to a camera) in a position where it will pick up all the audio happening at the altar.
What do you guys think? Remember I have no budget for this, it's all coming out of my pocket, probably.

I don't really want to attend the rehersal, so I'd like to get a schedual of how the ceremony will proceed, is this something I can ask for?

How long do you find wedding ceremonies typically run? Can I shoot a tape in LP mode and hope to capture the whole thing?

I'm doing this for free, do I have to wear a tux or suit, or can I just do dress pants and a nice shirt?

I've done a search on all the wedding topics here, and read them all. If anyone has anything they'd like to add (moral support would be good), please do.

Rob Lohman
February 11th, 2003, 01:17 PM
I've never done it either but I can imagine good clothing is
important at such a "serious" event....

What I've heard a lot of people say who shoot Weddings it to
definitely attend the rehearsels so you know what will happen.
I think no one wedding will be the same (at least, that is what
I'm thinking, hoping?).

Some more info here (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6670), here (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6756) and here (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6339)

In another thread people said shooting weddings could be
done with a 60 minute tape (the actual ceremony) and uses
a different tape for things before and/or after....

Some other people are sure to chime in and help you out!

Greg Vaughn
February 11th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Here's a site for you with a few demos. Got to the screening room link and perhaps you'll get some ideas.

http://www.bigskymovies.com/

Greg

Imran Zaidi
February 11th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Greg, are you involved with Big Sky? Their videos were actually really entertaining and engaging to me, and I normally HATE wedding foofoofery.

Cinematic Weddings... something I'd been thinking about recently myself. This is the way they should be filmed! Great job to them.

Ken Tanaka
February 11th, 2003, 01:31 PM
I've never shot a wedding, either. The videography crew we hired (for ours) was very good. They knew the location inside and out and had a stock formula for the whole thing. So I really learned little from it.

My meager offering to you is a link to the WEVA site (http://weva.org/). Maybe it will offer you a crust of advice. Personally, I like your "Huddle in a ball and cry until it's all over." plan. Failing that, look on the -ahem- bright side; it's certain to be a rich experience that will further broaden your videography knowledge and skills. May you go in peace, my son.

So are you really that devoted to your fiancee?

Rob Lohman
February 11th, 2003, 01:41 PM
When this is all over, Dylan, a year from now, you'll look back
on this event and smile. You cannot imagine how many wonderful
things you will learn during this event!

(now if this isn't giving you hope I do not know what will :)

Frank Granovski
February 11th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Ha, ha! I get volunteered for weddings sometimes---they're a lot of work. You should do just fine.

Tips:

* be prepared for people to walk in front your shooting---especially children and drunks.

* use a heavy tripod and be prepared for hand-held work.

* shoot the main things:
- the wedding party and entrance
- the couple's special moments
- speakers
- the food
- the dancing
- clips of what people are doing at the reception
- try to shoot at least 1/2 hour of the wedding, follow up with the good times at the reception
- try to make or build a story, their story.

In conclusion..., good luck!

Don Bloom
February 11th, 2003, 04:29 PM
I'll chime in as I shoot weddings all the time. Yes curl and cry, good idea. I wish I had thought of that!!! (kidding) Actually, weddings can be a lot of fun and you can get very creative in many cases.
I would attend the rehearsal only because it allows you to meet everyone involved, talk to the officiant and find out where you can and can't set up and if you can make any moves during the ceremony or not.
For the wedding, get the procession, the hand off (her father to groom) and ALWAYS keep the bride in the picture. It's her day, the groom could be a cardboard cutout and no one would notice!
Get the recession, some stuff in between the ceremony and party,(usually the still guy has them stick around and do some stuff) get the intros at the reception, 1st dance, daddy dance, mommy dance if there is one, toasts, garter and bouquet toss, if they do it, some party dancing maybe a goodbye thing from the B/G and you're done. MIC the groom to your wireless or MD and if possible MIC the podium to MD if there are any readers. You'll know this if you go to the rehearsal. Not to mention at the wedding you should get fed and sometimes you'll even get invited to the rehearsal dinner so you get 2 meals. WOW!
Since it's a freebie I would get pretty creative as long as the meat of the matter stuff is done. I like to play with shutter speed to get a strobing effect with certain music, maybe play with some dutch angles etc.. Then go home have 2 beers and start editing. . Run to DVD or tape, put into really nice cases with pictures and text and present to B/G who will thank you until they watch it and then wonder why you didn't get aunt Tilly and Uncle Joe dancing for more than 5 seconds. Oh well.
OR you can just tell the B/G the truth that you don't do weddings and they should hire someone that specializes in them. Of course your fiancee will probably never speak to you again and you won't have to worry about your wedding video cause there won't be one and she'll move out and........well.....
It's not really all that bad, just don't let them see you shake and you'll be fine. Relax, have fun, enjoy and do what you know how to do.
Let us know how it comes out!
Really sorry about the loooooong post,
Don

Ken Tanaka
February 11th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Reading through Don's excellent remarks made me realize that we've made the assumption that this is a young (i.e <= 30 years old) couple complete with proud parents, squealing bride's maids and half-stoned friends of the groom.

If this is an older couple your approach might have to be less formulaically structured around juvenile feminine romantic fantasy and more towards creating a shared (bride/groom) rememberance of a special life event.

Just a thought.

Don Bloom
February 11th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Ken,
You're right. I guess I made the assumption cause I married off 2 sons this year. Both 20somethings. BTW, maybe we should be the ones squealing and half stoned. I just got a phone call from a bride whose wedding I shot 2 years ago, her sister is getting married and they want to hire me. GREAT! When are they getting married? SATURDAY!!! "What the hel*, seems someone forgot to prioritize video?" "Yes" she said, "my fault, can you do it and how much MORE for the last minute booking?" I made a fast call to change a shoot that was really nothing more than an indoor conveyor belt of some sort, (the mfg. was happy, he didn't want to come in on SAturday either so we rescheduled to next week) I called back and told the sister no extra charge cause you're a previous client but my prices have gone up a little in 2 years. She's good with that, I get to bring my wife they pay for my parking (it's in downtown Chicago) plus I get to rub it in to them about last minute booking! HA! Oh yeah, they hadn't booked a photographer yet either and from what I heard, aren't going to.
SCORE:
Video 1 -- Still photographer 0
DON

Frank Granovski
February 11th, 2003, 06:14 PM
What's really fun is if you're the videographer and photographer. I've done it; and both formats suffer. I say, one or the other, unless you have a skilled helper.

Since you live in Vancouver, I can lend you a reception video---I have to make an extra copy for them anyway. It's not my best work, I had no preparation, but it may give you some ideas. Just post your phone # here, and I'll call you tomorrow.

Rik Sanchez
February 11th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Dylan,
I hope this will be your last FREE wedding. There is so much work involved in shooting one you should be paid. But being that your were volunteered, I suggest you have your fiancee help you. My wife and I volunteered a while back to shoot a friends wedding, after that, we never made that mistake again. We didn't get to enjoy the wedding and I hardly touched my food. With all our friends there, we were so busy trying to get all the shots, everyone got to eat and drink and enjoy the moment while we always had a camera in our hands. That's the bad part.

The good part, you will be able to advertise your video services to lots of people who may one day want you to shoot something else besides a wedding. So hopefully this one time freebie can lead to some future gigs. If it doesn't, then keep this experience as an ace up you sleeve, so when the day comes, you can always tell your wife, remember when I shot your friend's wedding for free...this can be a good bargaining chip when you need another XL-1s or a new computer system.

You guys should also eat before the shoot, you won't have time once it starts and try not to drink too much, even soft drinks, you don't want to run to the bathroom at a key moment. But do keep something to once in a while drink, I made the mistake of not drinking anything at all for a while and during the speeches, my throat was so dry, I started to cough causing the camera to jump around, had to cut that part out, luckily it didn't happen during the ceremony.

For clothing, the wedding hall I work for wanted me to wear a suit, the photographers do, but with having the XL-1 against my shoulder the whole time, a suit jacket is too confining, so I just wear all black, a long sleeve shirt with a tie. There is only one video cameraman, me, so I have to run around all over the place and a suit jacket will be too hot and in the way, I told them I can shoot better if I'm comfortable and so they made an exception, I suggest you do the same, wear something comfortable, it's gonna be a long day.

Main thing, have fun. Let us know how it went.

Rob Lohman
February 11th, 2003, 07:35 PM
I think Rik makes two excellent points here. Bring your fiancee
(definitely!) so she can help out and learn here too. And I also
agree with the eating/food part. I've done a shoot a couple of
weeks back (no wedding though) and I was running all day with
my XL1s up and down stairs and whatnot. While trying to eat
a sandwich at 2 PM to keep me going they forgot to inform me
of a major event happening outside of the building three stories
below. So in like 2 minutes I was down there with my XL1s.
Not fun! Don't think for a moment you are going to get rest or
a short break when your waiting for the "beauty shot" off the
day....

Don Bloom
February 11th, 2003, 07:49 PM
YES bring her, after all she got you into this mess! (I'm kidding) Really bring her, the extra hands are always a help. As for dress, I wear a black suit and during the reception the jacket comes off. I have a power belt and shoulder brace with a wireless receiver on it plus the on camera light,shotgun W/A lens (pd150) so it can get a little restrictive. OH YEAH!!! EAT BEFORE the wedding. I ALWAYS get a meal during the reception it's part of my contract, but I don't sit when everyone else does, 1st I look around for some interesting stuff to shoot plus there are the speeches to cover. I usually sit about the time the main course is being served. EAT! You will be hungry later and good advice about the drink. Make friends right away with the DJ or band leader, they will almost always know what is going to happen when and ask him/her to let you know about things, cake cutting etc. OH yeah, 1 more thing, NEVER stray far from your camera. 2 reasons; 1)the unexpected shot and 2) I hate to bring it up but THIEVES abound at weddings. They know there will be camera equipment (still and video) and at some point they will try to make off with it. It doesn't happen everytime or everywhere but it does happen. I usually put my cases behind the DJ.
Hope all of this helps, like I said just have fun and do your thing. I'm sure the B/G know weddings are not your thing so you can really surprise them by just doing your best!
Good Luck,
Don

Dylan Couper
February 11th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Wow, so much info! I don't even know where to start repling... Rob, Ken, Frank, Don, Rik, great suggestions. I'm going to make a list of stuff to remember based on it, and keep them on my pocket.
ALso thanks to forum member Adam Wakely, who sent me a HUGE e-mail, which I'll get him to post here.

Greg, awsome site. I've been watching bad wedding videos online all day, and that was a refresher. I e-mail them to ask what kind of gear they use.

One thing I've realized after all this....

We are eloping.
:)

Greg Vaughn
February 11th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Imran,
I wish I could take credit, but I don't have anything to do with Big Sky. They simply have some of the best "wedding documentaries" that I've seen.

Everyone,
I used to do weddings about 15 years ago using 3/4" equipment until I got so burned out that I just couldn't make myself do it again. Yes, wedding videos can be a drag at times but they're a great way to get some extra money to pay for equipment.

A lot of people need to look at them as creating documentaries. You also never know who might see the final results. I've considered getting back into doing them, especially due to the fact that more people are willing to pay you a fair price for your time involved. Some wedding videos in my area are bidding for over $10,000! Do the math - one or two of these a month wouldn't be too bad of a living.

Here's some of the rules I used to shoot weddings with (that I still remember at least): 1) Out dress the wedding crowd. Buy or rent a tux and make yourself look like part of the wedding. You get a lot more respect this way. 2) Work out a strategy with the still photographer. 3) NEVER be the main videographer for a friend or family member's wedding. Instead hire someone else to be the official videographer and you simply shoot B-roll. 4) Figure out how many tapes and batteries you need - then triple that amount! You'll be surprised how quickly these will disappear. Change tapes often. 5) Hire a caddy! Find someone to help you pack-up and go especially if you're using multiple cameras. You'll have very little time to get to the reception if it's at a different location. Ride along in the limo if you can (you can get some great video there so bring a light) and have you're caddy drive ahead to the reception and tape the arrival. 6) Make sure your vehicle, or the caddy's vehicle has enough gas! 7) NEVER sit down at the reception and relax or eat! This will guarantee that you miss something. Instead, follow the bride and groom around and make something happen. Try and use an on-camera soft box or bounce the light. 8) When the main events of the reception end (cake cutting, garter toss, bouquet toss, first dance, etc) then it's a good time to interview the family and wedding party. Watch for random toasts to the B & G. 9) ALWAYS attend the rehearsals and talk with the wedding planner and/or still photographer to figure out who will be coordinating the reception. 10) If you're not familiar with how some of the various religion's celebrate, find out, esp. at Jewish weddings - shooting the chair dance is always fun!

Greg

Rick Spilman
February 11th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Lots of good advice so far, so I will not add my own. Especially as I have never shot a wedding and hope to never shoot one.

You have obviously rejected the first thing that came to my mind (find a new fiance) which suggests that she is a woman of quality who just made a mistake.

I hope you have tactfully communicated that in the future she should not volunteer you for weddings, fighting fires or breaking broncos without your express consent in advance.

Rick

Nathan Gifford
February 12th, 2003, 08:10 AM
ALWAYS DRAFT THE ONE WHO VOLUNTEERS YOU!!! My wife has volunteered me twice, once letting me know 2 weeks before the event!

You can get by with 60s even in SP mode. I shoot all the early stuff first on one tape. Then I replace it with a fresh one just before the ceremony.

If you can get someone to point out the major players you won't have to spend time videoing the spinster aunt no one thought would come.

If the groom is wearing a black tux, great, you'll never see the mic. Mount the mic on the same side of the tux as the bride will stand on.

Finally make your grip really, really work. That way you'll never have to do this again.

Bob Zimmerman
February 12th, 2003, 10:17 AM
I also tape the formal pictures.
The last wedding I did I editted down to a little over 60 minutes. My theory is if it's to long it will bore the crap out of most people. Put in the main shots.
Good luck and have fun!!

Dylan Couper
February 12th, 2003, 10:36 AM
For the benefit of anyone else in my position reading this thread, here is an excellent list of stuff sent to me by forum member Adam Wakely of Quantum Productions, a wedding videographer.

The only way to "learn" how to tape a wedding correctly is after you've done
it and you have to edit your own footage!
You will see the continuity, steadiness, framing and lighting! Then you'll
swear at your footage while you try to edit it!
The next wedding you do you'll remember what "not" to do! :)

Lot's of charged batteries, tapes, head cleaner (general), wireless mic for
groom at ceremony & reception speeches. (use 4 channel audio or switch
wireless mic to channel 1&2 if your capture card only captures 1 stereo
source) (I use Raptor edit because it will capture 4 channels at once).
I use the small Canon 10watt light at it works well enough. (mostly used
when the lights go dim at the reception). People hate lights and cameras in
their faces so keep the light off until you need a shot.
Most important, shut the red flashing camera light off!! People won't "act
normal" if they think your recording! Fool them and look the other way but
"actually" record them!
Other than the ceremony & speeches, record most shots for about 10 seconds!
(the XL1 counts this down for you after you hit record).
You can always edit out latter but this technic makes you tape "quality
shots"! Also it makes a shot not too short for editing eithier!
I record on "A mode" always and do white balances alot!
Trust your EVF and compare with the real view! (unless you want to lug
around a field monitor!)
At a wedding leave everything else mostly on auto as you usually don't have
time to "set up" shots! (this is safer!)
You can "play" with all the dials during safer times like pre ceremony,
photo shoots, after speeches etc.
The AE SHIFT dial I use alot to adjust the lighting down when needed! (when
set slightly dark it looks better on mine)
When using a light during the reception and your move close to your subject
the AE Shift dial helps out alot! (eg: the bride & groom's first dance as
you walk in and out while they dance, dial down as you get close and back to
"0" as you back away) If you don't their faces get washed out.

If you have very dark conditions during the reception turn on the digital
shutter speed. "SLOW S-30" works well with a 10 watt light on but panning
must be slower. (also a manual focus will stop the "hunting")
I switch back and forth between my wide 3X and 16X all day & night long! (if
you have no time to think, use the 16X to be safe).
Get a copy or look at the list of events for the night from the MC. (nothing
worse than hearing the first dance begin when your not ready!)
If you run out of tape during a long ceremony or speech, don't worry, just
eject and put in another from your pocket! (you can edit latter)
keep tapes in a different pocket than spare batteries! :)

The XL1's mics is crappy for interviews unless you're close or have a shot
gun mic!
A wireless hand held is better.
I ask the B&G to get someone to interview people so guests feel more
comfortable! Usually it ends up NOT happening so less work for me!
Be unobtrusive as hell! (I think of myself as a documentary camera person
taping a wedding, it's not a "movie")
I like to use my tripod but usually end up holding it as people are always
in the way! Plus I have to hold the camera over my head alot too!

A photographer during their photo sessions is great because they set up all
the people and shots!
You just steal their hard work on tape!!
Use moving angled shots, artistic shots with you camera during the photo
shoots! Having part of the photographer in your footage looks good!
(also let them get their shots when needed as you can usally zoom in from
anywhere! but kick their ass out of the way when it's your turn!)
I did a wedding where the photographer put a chair in the middle of the
dance floor during my taping of the first dance! He went right in front of
me while I was taping! I had to get him out of the shot! After the dance I
told him to keep the F*** out of my way! Lot's of fun!

I use normal mode for everything except the Photo shoot and the party after!
Then I use frame mode. It loses that "reality" look!

My most important tip!

Continuity!

If you tape a 10 sec clip of the Groom looking to the right make sure the
NEXT clip has continuity! Maybe the bride looks back to the left!
Try to think of you operating 2 cameras at the same time!
If you forgot your last clip then use the "search" button of just choose a
"cut away" shot! (eg: close up of bride's flowers and THEN pan up to her
face or a completely different shot). You may have a shot of the B&G walking
into site. Then you don't want the next shot to be them still standing in
the same spot a few inches over! It will look like a "glitch"! Get something
else different and then back!
This makes your editing time a snap latter plus it shows a "natual
progression" of the day in correct order.
Use the zooming for framing and then record. Some "live zooming" still looks
good here and there (unless of course it's a continuous event like the
ceremony or speeches)
Close-ups look great on the XL1 but wide shots not as clear. Get lot's of
face close ups! Also lot's of the couple kissing!
Over stay your shots after they are complete (eg: after the long kiss keep
rolling a few seconds more). This is sometimes needed for editing latter!
(eg: reverse speed of clip so it looks like kiss again as it may look
better!)
Oh ya, let people walk into the cameras view and also let them completely
walk out before you stop recording! (no half bodies!)

I sure you know alot of camera technics already!

These are just a few ramblings off the top of my head durning a wedding!
Good luck on your wedding!

Don Bloom
February 12th, 2003, 10:41 AM
YES, make her work and as suggested, find someone in the know that can help you figure out who's important and who's not.

My edits NEVER run more than 60 minutes, I just did one that went 52 and looks great, the folks loved it. If they want to see it all, fine, I'll transfer masters to vhs and they buy it. Never had 1 yet. They know what they're going to get when they see the sample, I don't usually use a "demo", I show a complete wedding. We can still FF thru and they see the real thing.
Just my way!
I agree, too long and ZAP! the 1st time they'll watch all, after that they FF thru it by the 5th time ZAP! it's put away and not watched again! Just MHO!

BTW, if you really don't want to do it, you can always come down with a bad mirgrane headache, flu, break a leg or arm or simply vanish into the darkness of night!
Go forth and HAVE FUN!

Zac Stein
February 12th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Consider yourself lucky, i was asked to film a post wedding event....hmmmm

Lets just say i kindly refused.

Zac

Bob Zimmerman
February 13th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all the info Dylan from Adam.

Robert J. Wolff
February 14th, 2003, 08:59 AM
The worst part is the post wedding look-see at your finished project: "Well, I don't think Aunt Whomsoever, looked that BAD at the reception."

or,

"How come you took so much of His/Her side of the family, and not mine?

etc.

Last rites are some times neccessary for the mere mortal that enters these doors.

Good Luck.

Keith Loh
February 14th, 2003, 05:07 PM
What the hell have you signed me up for, man?

This thread scares the hell out of me.

It sounds like I won't have time to hit on chicks.

Jeff Donald
February 14th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Keith, think of it as good practice, sort of a dry run, for when you volunteer to shoot Dylan's big day.

Jeff

Keith Loh
February 14th, 2003, 06:37 PM
You're right. When it comes to my big day I'll have to organize the filming, get married and hit on chicks at the same time.

Dylan Couper
February 14th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Keith
Heh heh, what Jeff said! ;)
Don't worry, wedding chicks dig guys with big cameras! You'll go home with a few phone numbers for sure!

Rob Lohman
February 16th, 2003, 12:54 PM
So how did it go Dylan? Do let us know!

Dylan Couper
February 16th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Rob, it's this upcoming Sat. I will let you guys know, unless I'm still curled in a ball crying. :)

Jeff Donald
February 16th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Don't worry, I've only seen one or two wedding photographers beaten up my the Bride and her mother.

Dylan Couper
February 24th, 2003, 12:06 AM
Well, the deed has been done, and we lived!
At this point, I haven't watched the footage, so I shouldn't say anything too boastful... :)

Before I start, huge thanks to Keith Loh, who came out and helped me shoot, gather gear, and avoid general panic, for about 8 straight hours. As long as your tapes aren't hours of people's feet, Keith, You Da' Man! ;)

First off, it was exhausting, but kind of fun. Certainly something different to be involved in such a monumental event in a couple's life.
Secondly, it was exhausting. I handheld most of the reception, and by the end my right arm felt like I had torn a muscle. It still hurts right now, a day after the fact.
Third, thanks to everyone from the forum who gave their advice. It all came in handy, and hopefully it will show in the final edit.

However, one thing no one mentioned, is that no matter what you do, stuff will go wrong that is out of your control. Here's the day's big blooper.
The ceremony was slated to start at 1pm. At one pm, we had 2 of the 3 cameras set up, mic on the groom, sound check, everything was good. The plan was the groom would give me notice before the actual start (as the grooms party would come out first), and I would start the balcony camera running, then take my camera to the middle of the altar and film the procession coming down. No problem, right? What could go wrong?
My fiancee comes running up to me in a panic and tells me they've started. WTF, the groom's party is still in the back room!?! I look up, the start of the brides party is coming down the aisle. No groom's party in site. Great, I think. I run to the balcony cam, and let keith get the bride from a side angle, so I missed one of the most important shots of the day.
Why did this go wrong?
Simple. Human stupidity from some moron that shouldn't have had anything to do with the ceremony.
The choir that was singing had a list of songs. The bride was supposed to come out on a certain song. Someone in the bridal party thought they were playing the brides song and started them coming out, when in fact they were still two songs away from it, and the groom was still in the back. Stupid M#*$er F*#$er.
So what did we do? Same thing any decent film crew would have done... Reshot the head-on shots of the bride's entrance after everyone left the church. :)
Anyway, we'll see how it all cuts together when I get to it later this week.

Don Bloom
February 24th, 2003, 06:03 AM
Dylan,
CONGRATS! You lived to fight another day!
1st rules of weddings is Murphy's Law; What can go wrong, will! It sounds like you recovered nicely.
I know how you feel, it takes my body a day to recover as well, it's just something I can never get used to no matter how many weddings I do.
Well once again Congrats and when can we expect to see the new business card;

Dylan Couper
Wedding Videographer

Keith Loh
February 24th, 2003, 12:33 PM
You missed the part where I stepped on the Bride's train.

Don Bloom
February 24th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Keith,
either she didn't notice you did that, she was a very nice bride OR you're posting from the local hospital while in traction.
I did it once, almost imperceptible right on the very end of the train, not even a full foot print and no mark at all on the dress...you would have thought I had just told her her whole family had been eaten by a pack of wild dogs. If looks could have killed, my wife would be a widow. Ah weddings, ain't they something?!?!?!

Rob Lohman
February 24th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Glad you survived Dylan! And you know what they say: " what
doesn't kill you makes you stronger " ..... GO!

Dylan Couper
February 24th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Keith, I think a lot of people stepped on it too. It was pretty big. I nearly stepped on it while I was doing a circling shot around her. Still, if she didn't say anything, she didn't notice. :)

Adam Wakely
May 7th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Hello Dylan!

Sorry, I've been away from this forum for a long while!
(baby due any day now)!
I saw my quote you posted. Did I really write all that? I forgot already.

I should of sent you one of my DVD master wedding copies.
If you ever want one to view let me know.
I have many weddings for this year already booked.

My biggest production is coming soon.
"The delivery room"!
1-XL1,
1-35mm (b&w)
1-digital still

All on full auto as the other hand is for the wife....

Adam Wakely
September 10th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Dylan...

How did the final wedding video turn out?
Main thing...was the bride happy with the video??? (groom doesn't matter!)

I'm thinking of retiring next year from wedding videos! DVD editing has me busy (editing) until next year! (I want to sell everything and buy more band/audio recording gear for my "real love" !) :)

Roze Ann
September 10th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Hey Adam...

How did the BABY thing go? Boy, girl, details? Were you allowed to film in the delivery room? How did it all turn out? Come on... spill. We are 'family' on the forum... you gotta share some details. Are you getting any sleep yet? We didn't for the first 10 months but you do survive :-)

And Dylan how did that wedding video turn out anyway...??? I don't care WHO volunteers me for a wedding be it stills or video...NO. Just a flat N...O. (glad to pass on work or hire a known shooter under the Fat Cat Media company send out). If you really do not want to shoot one... just say "I shoot stuff all the time and would like to enjoy the ceremony. If I'm working it won't be the same". That always gets me off the hook.

Then I bring a small camera or 2 and shoot what I want. Edit it the way I want, no stress, no deadline and viola! A wonderful unexpected 'after ceremony' wedding gift. Plus you can spend time on the 'real' story... not the *usual* yup here is everyone standing like a cardboard cut out type stuff. Kids and older folks... always concentrate on those after of course the lovely couple :) Kids grow SOOOO fast and older folks ....well you never know how long they are with us.

Hope it all went well for both you fellas. Let us know. Send info and post photos!

Jake McMurray
September 10th, 2003, 01:35 AM
Congrats on the wedding. I shot my first one a few weeks ago. It was hard but at least I got to use a friend's DVX100. I actually got paid a bit for it even though it was a favor. I only had one camera so not a whole lot of options for editing. It was also good that they knew before hand that I didn't know anything hardly, I wasn't getting paid really, might mess up, and they weren't having anyone tape the wedding professionally anyway.

Don't know about you but if someone showed up to my wedding with the setup you had, XL1's, mics etc...I would be expecting a damn good wedding video. Hope that doesn't put pressure on you but hey you didn't get paid.

Dylan Couper
September 10th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Hey Adam, long time no see!

Thanks for the interest everyone.
The wedding turned out near perfectly. I should post a highlight clip form it on my website. Here are some screengrabs from it:

http://www.pyroglyphfilms.com/gallery/screens/wedding14.gif

http://www.pyroglyphfilms.com/gallery/screens/wedding6.gif

http://www.pyroglyphfilms.com/gallery/screens/wedding16.gif

Andres Lucero
September 10th, 2003, 01:32 PM
That cardboard cut-out looks very lifelike! :)

I like the last one with the hands.

Adam Wakely
September 10th, 2003, 07:28 PM
I had a boy, he's 4 months old now. Quinn is his name. Lot's of work, less sleep but worth it all! :) The footage of the birth (with my XL1) turned out great! I had a big private room with lots of window light in the afternoon! I used my 3x wide for the whole thing. I had my hand over top and did alot of live moving! The lens almost touch the baby's head while it was half out! (ooooh gross!) I taped with good taste though. Not too much nudity!
No one has seen the video except the mother and I! I will edit it to DVD soon (after all my weddings) so other family members may watch! I keep playing it in slow-mo when the baby slides out! Gross but cool! Also during this I was snapping shots with a digital still and 35mm! There was enough nurses helping her out. I felt like I was at work! It helped keep me from getting to emotional! (there was lots of time for that latter).

Sorry for that...now back to the original post!

Dylan's pics look great! I know that "look" anywhere! (oh ya we all have XL1's! :) Glad your wedding turned out well! After all, it's probably a once in a life time event for them!

Just staring to ediit wedding 2 of 5 now! Should be done by Xmas!

Bob Safay
July 30th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Hey Dylan, Congrats on the wedding. I did one a few weeks ago in Breckenridge, CO. The father of the bride had the bright idea of having me shoot from a ladder strapped to a pine tree (it was an outdoor wedding). Only thing was...you even been strapped to a pine tree when the wind decides to start blowing...talk about virdigo!! Anyway, it was a two camera shoot and the B & G loved it. It was an all day affair. Boys golf game in the am, ladies tea, preparation, ceramony, reception. A long day. And, like you my wife volunteered me. Soo, she got to run along with me doing the stills. Had a great time shooting the dances with the 3X. I'll bet you did such a great job that you will be "asked again" Bob

Steve McDonald
September 12th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Yes, definitely bring your fiancée and put her to work. Maybe you'll find out some things about your compatibility under stress that will make you more or less likely to want to be in the starring role at a future wedding.

Steve McDonald

Hugh DiMauro
September 13th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Here's a little ditty I figured out in a brief (and seldom) moment of inspiration: During editing, I discovered a way to keep the bride and father dance and groom and mother dance interesting without having the video viewers falling asleep watching the two dances on video. What I do is this:

I do split screen (or any creative version thereof) and have the dance on the left (or right) and bridesmaid (or groomsmans) personal greetings on the opposite side. They play side by side and kill two birds with one stone. I just received fabulous feedback on my last wedding.

Good luck!