View Full Version : HDV to DV

Chris Westerstrom
June 1st, 2006, 06:32 AM
I just recorded and edited some clips where I recorded in HD and exported (captured) in DV.

During the time i was cutting, the quality stayed pretty close to the original, while I was watching on a LCD screen. I burned off a copy onto DVD and transferred one over to my Ipod.

Funny thing is, when I play the DVD on the computer you can still see the high definition quality coming through. However, when I played the dvd on my tv, the quality was totally lost and it looked horrible! I then connected my ipod to the tv and some of the HD quality was there, even if it was a bit grainier, the shadows, colour and lights all looked WAY better.

Just thought I'd share, if you do a presentation and want to show it on a non plasma, HD ready tv, then connect and Ipod or something similar.

Jon Fairhurst
June 1st, 2006, 10:46 AM
This is probably due to the gamma changes. If I recall, PCs have a gamma of 1.8 or so, while TVs have a gamma of 2.2. It may be that the iPod's gain is lower.

For pro work that will go to a television, use a video card connected to a TV monitor when editing, and adjust the colors, contrast, brightness and gamma accordingly.

Chris Westerstrom
June 3rd, 2006, 07:35 AM
good advice, thanks