View Full Version : Wedding Packages

Roger Rosales
June 12th, 2006, 08:19 PM
I'd like to get feedback for my wedding packages for starting out. This is what I have so far, but will eventually up the price once I get more work and a better portfolio done (I know I'm completely under selling myself and the business with these prices).

Since I haven't done ANY wedding, I'm going to use other stuff I've done as examples of my work, but I do plan on advertising a one time free wedding on my flyers. Once I get that wedding done, I'll raise the prices a little bit because then I'll have more to show that's wedding oriented.

But, as is, what do you guys think? Too much for too little or just the right amount for starters?

Basic: $350
2 camcorders at ceremony and 1 camcorder at reception
• Ceremony
• 3 hours on-site filming
(including photo session w/photographer)
• Basic slideshow of wedding day
• Basic footage edit and clean-up (no music)
• 2 DVD copies ($25 each additional copy)

Standard: $600
2 camcorders at ceremony/1 camcorder at reception
• Ceremony
• Reception
• Photo session
• 6 hours on-site filming
• Slideshow of wedding day
• Basic footage clean-up of ceremony and reception
• Highlights edit (with music and color correction)
• 2 DVD copies ($25 each additional copy)

Advanced: $900
2 camcorders at ceremony and 1 camcorder at reception
• Pre-ceremony coverage of bride & groom (preparations)
• Ceremony
• Reception
• Photo session
• 8 hours on-site filming
• Fully edited pre-ceremony, ceremony and reception coverage
(with music and color correction)
• Highlights edit (with music and color correction)
• 4 DVD copies ($25 each additional copy)

Premium: $1,500
2 camcorders at ceremony and reception
• Pre-ceremony coverage of bride & groom (preparations)
• Pre-ceremony messages from bride, groom, family & friends
• Ceremony
• Reception
• Photo session
• Unlimited on-site filming (all day)
• Slideshow of bride and groom growing up and their lives to date
• Fully edited pre-ceremony, ceremony and reception coverage
• Highlights edit
• Love story
• Raw footage of wedding day
• 6 DVD copies ($25 each additional copy)

Bruce S. Yarock
June 12th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Why would you offer "raw footage"?
Bruce yarock

Rick Steele
June 13th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Not going to talk about your prices. These are market dependant.

I think even your basic package is going to require a photo montage of sorts. This could be an add-on for $XXX.

Also, what is a wedding day slideshow? Do you take pics too?

What kind of audio will you use to record the vows?

Michael Liebergot
June 13th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Honestly, I would drop the Basic package. I mean, what are you really going to capture in just 3 hours of filming?
Does this mean, you will only be present to record 3 hours of video, or will be there the entire time, but only film 3 hours of video. If it's the later, then you are not getting paid for your time accoridngly.
Either way, you are not going to be paid for your time, shooting, and or editing (no matter how basic it is).
Also this kind of package, you will probably not use as a good demonstration of your work.

Rick Steele
June 13th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Honestly, I mean, what are you really going to capture in just 3 hours of filming?The ceremony? :)

I have a similar package. It's cheap and no frills but an easy edit. Bad thing is it takes up a booking slot for a higher end package.

But yes, I think the wording should be changed to "coverage". That's what I call it.

Steven Davis
June 13th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Price = Market + Long Term ability to stay in business for X$.

I have recent experience of starting out. We quickly learned that if you get X amount of wedding gigs, and X is what is expected of you, then you'll have to invest X amount of what you earn to stay at least on par with your competition. Many people who want cheap, are willing to pay cheap, but then they want a higher quality of product.

I think of it this way, if someone has spent so many years waiting for that special someone and they are willing to cut corners, buy cheap etc for thier wedding day, then you as a vendor are really asking for it.

I believe that once you've done a few gigs, you'll quickly learn how much work it takes to film a wedding, the cost that you have to invest, and you will quickly have to raise your prices to meet the equasion that I listed in paragraph #1.

Like Rick said, prices are market driven, but they also take into account expense.

Christopher Thomas
June 13th, 2006, 11:56 AM
The problem with starting your prices too low is that it takes a long time to get them up to where you want to be.

I recently got started in this business, and based on advice I read on this board, I began with a higher price point (my lowest priced package was/is $995). When I started getting calls, I just explained that I was new to the business and offered significant discounts on my packages. This works.

I agree with everyone who says that "budget" weddings are a unique segment of the market. A "budget" photographer can profit by offering an inexpensive package by delivering raw JPEGS on a CD-R with maybe one or two touchups included. Anything else is extra. A "budget" videographer should keep the same thing in mind. Charge them to show up and film their wedding with one or two professional cameras (it's better than what Uncle Frank has), then deliver raw footage on DVDs. Anything else, including a basic edit, is extra.

I spend about 30 hours with the edit, and my computer (without me) spends another 15-20 hours capturing, rendering, compressing and burning. I suppose I could charge less and book more, but I prefer to charge more and book less. :o)

Kevin Shaw
June 13th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I'd call those prices low even for just getting started, and as someone else said you could just drop the 'basic' option. When you're targeting price-conscious customers most of them will just pick your cheapest package and hope they'll get something useful from it, plus you'll probably end up delivering more trying to make a good impression. Do yourself a favor and don't start that low: better to do a couple for free and then start charging real money based on the quality of your demos. Anything under $750 or so should be ceremony-only; your current standard package should be at least $1000. In the long run you should try to get double what you listed for the services you're offering, and it will be harder to get there if all your referrals are from people who hired you dirt cheap.

I know it's hard to believe when you're starting out because the temptation is to charge less to attract customers, but you're way underpriced. Bump it up at least a little and you'll be glad you did later.

Tom Tomkowiak
June 13th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Roger R.,

You're on the opposite side of the country from me, so doing a starter wedding out there for free won't bother me any. However, I would suggest you hold off on listing your wedding prices until you get that first wedding video done & delivered. Keep track of all the hours you spend, and I think you'll have a better idea what your rates should be.

Time adds up: Travel time, setup time, breakdown time, time between events when you can't do much but wait, editing time, tweeking time, rendering time, time spent designing the DVD label & case jacket, and on & on.

Since you've never taped a wedding, I would strongly suggest you attend the rehearsal & bring along at least one camera & your audio equipment. Tape from different positions, then review those tapes, especially the lighting & audio, when you get home. Use that to come up with a plan for the real thing. Check with the officiant at the rehearsal -- he/she might have some rules that could ruin your day if you don't find out about them until 5 minutes before the ceremony starts.

I agree that you should drop the basic package. You can still offer it as a last resort if you need some bucks & that's the only way to snag a client, but don't make it one of the listed choices.

I'm also curious about the wedding day slideshow you include. Are these "slides" video frame grabs? Unless you have a partner walking around with a photo camera, it's difficult for one person to do video & stills at the same time. This could also conflict with the commercial photographer's contract.

Will your second camera be unmanned? If you're doing this solo, it's a good idea to ask a friend or spend a few bucks to hire a responsible kid to watch your equipment when it's out of your sight, like when you're outside taping the B&G after the ceremony, and the rest of your equipment is inside growing legs. Receptions are even more hazardous for leaving equipment unattended.

One last thought. You didn't mention your equipment. If you're using a couple of consumer camcorders, el cheapo tripods or no tripods, and built-in camcorder mikes for audio, then even your basic package is probably priced too high.

Steven Davis
June 13th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Roger R.,

You're on the opposite side of the country from me.

Hey Tom, where are you?

Tom Tomkowiak
June 13th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Hey Tom, where are you?

Only a couple of hundred miles south-east of Richmond, and directly in the path of one of the category 4 hurricanes scheduled to hit the east coast later this year. Near Morehead City, NC.

Steven Davis
June 13th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Only a couple of hundred miles south-east of Richmond, and directly in the path of one of the category 4 hurricanes scheduled to hit the east coast later this year. Near Morehead City, NC.

Cool, I lived there for about a year when I was in my 20's..........oh so long ago.

Nice to know someone else on the forum is near by. We go to Wilmington NC a couple of times a year. Not qute Morehead, but it's still the beach.

Mike F Smith
June 14th, 2006, 07:20 PM
I will never give anyone my raw footage for any amount of money ever again. When I shoot there are a lot of times I take chances if I can in an attempt to get something exceptional as long as I have the basics covered. Lots of times those shots turn out to be non usable garbage that I don't want anyone to see. In other words I don't want anyone to see anything but my polished final product.

Mike

Billy Mallari
June 15th, 2006, 07:32 AM
I just started shooting last Jan. I charged my first wedding $300. People saw my work and got a few inquiries. My second wedding was more than $1200 for Bride's house , Ceremony to Reception till 10pm. I charged more than experienced videographers in my area. Don't be afraid to go head to head with big production companies as long as you produce quality work.

Never lowball weddings.

I don't know why you would like to give Raw footages. I prefer not to sell them and if the client insist, I would charge an arm and a leg.

Rick Steele
June 15th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I don't know why you would like to give Raw footages. I prefer not to sell them and if the client insist, I would charge an arm and a leg.You will find the occassional client that wants to edit his own wedding. I don't have a problem with selling the raw footage. Using 3 chip cams mine still looks better than Uncle Fred's and the audio is actually "audible".

I've also done "raw footage" only shoots. It's an easy day and I don't have to spend 50 hours hunkered over a computer. Film it... transfer it... done.

I really don't understand this fear of showing your raw footage to folks. If it's that bad then you *do* need to work on shooting skills and if anyone is that embarrased by it just clean it up a bit.

Billy Mallari
June 15th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I agree...somepeople would like to edit their videos as well..I guess I am one of them as I will be purchasing the raw footages from my own wedding videographer.

But some brides just do not understand the whole concept of capturing videos. For instance, I keep the camcorder on in the ceremony at most times. From time to time I will be moving the camera but still capturing the audio although the camera will not be focused on the subject. The innocent brides will think that it is a waste of footage. And if they see some scenes from the raw footage that was not included in the final edited video, I don't want them to start coming back to me and have me explain that.

I know when I eat my burgers, I dont want to see how the cow is killed. And yes I do make mistakes in capturing videos that is why I dont want couples to see it.

I guess each of us have their own opinion about raw footages. I respect that

Roger Rosales
June 15th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Woa, I have a lot to reply to! I've been so busy fixing my car, working and spending time with my wife that it was hard for me to get around to the interenet.

I'll start with the common question, "What is the wedding day montage"?

It wasn't meant as a montage that will be done on the same day of the wedding. Basicly, it means that it will consist of solely of the wedding day and not have any pictures of the B&G growing up and such. That's what that means.

I do not have a photographer, as some of you were asking.

As for the second most asked question, why would I offer raw footage? For the same reasons some have already posted. It's easier and less time consuming. If the couple wishes to have raw footage of their event and save themselves the cost of editing and packaging, that is their choice. It's their choice of how they want their wedding day video delivered.

Honestly, I would drop the Basic package. I mean, what are you really going to capture in just 3 hours of filming?
Does this mean, you will only be present to record 3 hours of video, or will be there the entire time, but only film 3 hours of video. If it's the later, then you are not getting paid for your time accoridngly.
Either way, you are not going to be paid for your time, shooting, and or editing (no matter how basic it is).
Also this kind of package, you will probably not use as a good demonstration of your work.

3 hours of filming is simply the ceremony and whatever else follows afterwards consisting of 3 hours. Most often, right after the ceremony, couples go to parks with the photographer and have pictures taken. That's basicly the 3 hours I'm talking about.

It will NOT be 3 hours of video, it will be three hours of my time.

Rick, I think I will change the title to "Coverage". Takes the confusion out.

I have recent experience of starting out. We quickly learned that if you get X amount of wedding gigs, and X is what is expected of you, then you'll have to invest X amount of what you earn to stay at least on par with your competition. Many people who want cheap, are willing to pay cheap, but then they want a higher quality of product.

This is something I have thought about thoroughly. What I'm hoping to accomplish with the beginning gigs is to save enough money for more gear along with backup gear as well as the cost of maintence.

[qoute=Steven Davis]I believe that once you've done a few gigs, you'll quickly learn how much work it takes to film a wedding, the cost that you have to invest, and you will quickly have to raise your prices to meet the equasion that I listed in paragraph #1.
[/quote]

These prices aren't permanent and aren't set in stone. I realise this and I don't like these prices, but for starters, it's what I'm contemplating.

I recently got started in this business, and based on advice I read on this board, I began with a higher price point (my lowest priced package was/is $995). When I started getting calls, I just explained that I was new to the business and offered significant discounts on my packages. This works.

This is indeed a good idea. As Kevin pointed out, it'll be tough to up my prices when I get referrals as being a "dirt cheap" videographer. This is something I definately don't want and then have a hard time getting customers.

Kevin, doing a couple of freebies is ideal and showcase those as my demo, but how do I find these couples? Family isn't an option anymore and friends aren't ready to be wed just yet! I'd rather do this than start dirt cheap and get customers based on that rep.

Will your second camera be unmanned? If you're doing this solo, it's a good idea to ask a friend or spend a few bucks to hire a responsible kid to watch your equipment when it's out of your sight, like when you're outside taping the B&G after the ceremony, and the rest of your equipment is inside growing legs. Receptions are even more hazardous for leaving equipment unattended.

Yes, it will be unmaned. Though, I might ask my brother in law to help out if need be. We've talked about this before, but never got into the details.

As for my equipment, I have an XL2 camcorder with cheap tripod that I will replace as soon as this line of business gives me the cash to do so.

I'm still looking around for audio options for recording the vows, trying to find something good, but not so expensive. I can do without a good tripod for now, but I NEED good audio before I start.

Thank you guys for all the responses and help! I don't think I'll be advertising these prices, rather try and find weddings to do for free, at least 2, make my demo and start above 700 for my basic package.

Anthony Mooney
June 16th, 2006, 08:12 PM
The prices are good as long as you don't pay more than $800.00 for a two bedroom.

Anthony

Kevin Shaw
June 17th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I really don't understand this fear of showing your raw footage to folks. If it's that bad then you *do* need to work on shooting skills and if anyone is that embarrased by it just clean it up a bit.

You wouldn't ask a photographer to show you those shots he thought were of poor quality, so why would anyone think a videographer should do otherwise? As far as I can tell, what many customers want when they ask for 'raw footage' is a documentary-style presentation of events as they happened, and just doing that well can be a tremendous amount of work. And no, I'm not interested in trying to shoot perfect footage on the run during a live event; that's what editing is for. Knowing I can clean things up in editing allows me to be more flexible about my shooting and hence get things I wouldn't get otherwise, especially if I was trying to second-guess when to push the Record button. Part of videography is editing; if people don't want that they should have their friends bring a camcorder and skip hiring a professional videographer.

Rick Steele
June 17th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Part of videography is editing; if people don't want that they should have their friends bring a camcorder and skip hiring a professional videographer."Editing" is the only thing that distiguishes you from family and friends?

And what's this friend supposed to do... pull an FX1 out of his hat? And a $600 wireless lav system?

I would like to think "our" raw footage is better than that.

Patrick Moreau
June 17th, 2006, 08:28 PM
You wouldn't ask a photographer to show you those shots he thought were of poor quality, so why would anyone think a videographer should do otherwise?

Sounds like your not a photographer. Couples ask to see the poor quality images ALL the time and we spend a lot more time than most in post editing images.

Not only that, why would the norma and rules for photography necessarily apply to videography- they are two art forms associated with capturing a wedding day but there is a large difference between them and what aplies two one does not apply to the other in many cases.

Kevin Shaw
June 17th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Okay then, whatever floats your boat. Some of us don't want to show raw footage to clients for a variety of reasons, but I suppose there's nothing inherently wrong with doing so if that works okay for you.

And yes, I have heard that many photography clients want to see the bad shots, but surely there are some you wouldn't show them unless they insisted?

No, I don't think editing is the only thing which distinguishes us from amateurs, but I do think good editing is part of a professional video production. I'd be reluctant to give any customer footage I hadn't cleaned up at least a little bit, but then that's me.

Dan Shallenberger
June 26th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but I would be aprehensive about the client editing my raw footage in case his edit looks like crap, and then tells everyone that ABC Video Company shot the video. Maybe he'll also admit (proudly) he edited himself, but I still think it might make a bad first impression of your company.

Also, there was a time about 8 weeks ago when I made one of the most common mistakes... leaving the camera in record when done filming something. It so happened that I had the camera sitting on my lap while fiddling with my light at a reception, and in post I had about 60 seconds of under-exposed up-shirt shots from a lady across the table. Couldn't see anything really, but it would have been very embarrasing to share that with the client :-) So, I guess if I shared the raw footage with a client, it would ONLY be after reviewing the entire thing and do some 'clean-up' edits, which I suppose makes them not "raw" anymore.

Just my 2 cents!

Dan