View Full Version : Losing picture?

Joe Irvine
June 13th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Hello Forum
I'm filming basketball games for the coachs at the local high school and although they have no complaints about the video quality they do wonder why the top of the video picture is absent. I have explained that when reviewed on my computer there is no loss of picture and that they need a high definition moniter. Is this correct? And would shooting in 16:9 help with the picture loss? Thanks in advance.
joe irvine

Jarrod Whaley
June 13th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Strange. Definitely sounds like they have a crummy monitor on their hands. I assume you've checked your footage on a few monitors and have never noticed what they're talking about.

Are they saying that the top of the image gets overscanned out of the frame, or that there's a black bar there? Not quite sure what you mean.

FWIW, I have personally vowed NEVER to shoot 16:9 with my GL1. The loss in resolution just isn't worth it.

Hank Freeman
June 20th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Jarrod, You're kinda right. As a videographer, you need to be aware that televisions remove about 8% from the top, bottom and sides when displaying images. Keep the action inside this 'safe zone' (as it's called) when shooting.

Tim Johnson
June 20th, 2006, 10:36 AM
it possible you just need to calibrate it. on my sharp tv, it has options to set everything up to avoid overscan.

Jarrod Whaley
June 20th, 2006, 10:55 AM
it possible you just need to calibrate it. on my sharp tv, it has options to set everything up to avoid overscan.Good suggestion--however, not all TV's will do this. And what's more, you can't always (if ever) know how your clients are setting up their TV's.

All this talk of overscan might be moot though. Joe never really clarified exactly what the problem was. As is, the description he gave is a bit vague.