View Full Version : FS-100 Recall?

Dee Joslin
June 13th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I just spoke to the vendor I'm buying the HVX from. I bought the HVX and FS-100. He said the FS-100's he had in stock were all re-called. He didn't specify why, just said he'd send some P2 cards until the FS-100 situation changes.

Anybody have any info on this?

Peter Jefferson
June 13th, 2006, 03:59 PM
no info from this end, but a recall on the product doesnt surprise me... i like the concept of a firestore.. if they could get it working in the way in which it is advertised, but i (and about 90% of my clients) have had numerous issues with them.. so yeah it doesnt surprise me..

Robert Lane
June 13th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Dee,

So far nothing has come up with our contacts out west and nothing on the Focus website. However, historically Focus is not very forthcoming about problems and would probably like to keep this under wraps for the time being. They have direct associations with the camera manufacturers that needs to stay intact.

As Peter mentioned, the Firestore in it's HD versions has been a problematic device since it's release. If in fact there is an active recall then I'd consider it welcome news.

In the meantime, you should be able to pull of most off what you need with the P2 cards (nice of your dealer to support you that way) and in a pinch you could always use a PowerBook/MacBook Pro for longform direct capture.

Additionally, the Cineporter is due out soon and once tested stable will be the weapon of choice for any HVX user - who doesn't mind the additional weight penalty.

Dee Joslin
June 13th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I'm thinking this may be a blessing in disguise. The Cineporter looks like the better option. It does record the 24PN modes.

I was able to get ahold of Focus a few hours after I heard of the re-call. The guy said that many users complained of the connector issue and they had a fix and would resume shipping in a week or two.

Cael Hazard
June 16th, 2006, 05:55 PM
We own four FS-100's specifically purchased for long duration recording. They are very early versions and were really a problem. But through a number of user's groups, help from Focus Enhancements, and this Web site we are happily using them on productions.

Two main issues:

Early FS-100's need to have their 1394 driver updated (free and easy download at Focus' Support site (http://www.focusinfo.com/support/downloads.asp#expand)

The FireWire cables that came with the FS-100 are flaky. make teh investment get a real shielded cable w/ ferrite beads. The ones from Granite Digital seem to be good (http://www.granitedigital.com/catalog/pg18_firewirecables.htm)

Peter Jefferson
June 18th, 2006, 11:45 PM
"But through a number of user's groups, help from Focus Enhancements, and this Web site we are happily using them on productions."

I hear ya Cael, however one must always assume that clients dont always have access to the net, let alone time to look for a solution to their problem.
In an ideal world, the units would be problem free OR at least carry the necessary updates within the units upon distribution.
In addition, with ur comment on teh cabling being flaky, considering the price of the unit, one would like to assume that the goods they are purchasing are in fact top shelf... whether it be a cable or a clamp... at THIS price, one would hope that the company wouldnt skimp on anything

Dont get me wrong, the idea of a firestore is briliant, hell Ive sold more FS3's then FS4's but the FS4 is a different kind of beast and has had numerous problems which my clients dont have the time to deal with...

Kevin Dooley
June 20th, 2006, 12:49 PM
In addition, with ur comment on teh cabling being flaky, considering the price of the unit, one would like to assume that the goods they are purchasing are in fact top shelf... whether it be a cable or a clamp... at THIS price, one would hope that the company wouldnt skimp on anything

Yeah, but you don't use the cables that come with your $2K-$3K HD TV do ya? Cables, regardless of the cost of whatever the unit is, always seem to be the cheapest available... they almost throw them in just in case you didn't think to order anything else...

Peter Jefferson
June 20th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I agree. but even so, to an extent, one would ASSUME that with such a volatile aparatus, one would be provided with the best possible parts.

HD TV and hi fi equipment, computer printers and scanners etc are nowhere near as volatile or as i call it "mission critical" equipment such as an FS unit.
Irrespective of how one sees it, our livelihoods are dependant on the trust we have with these compoanies to provide the best possible solutions for the work we do.

As an example, Id hate to think of a Firestore (or ANY other unit that works in a similar manner) carking it the company went cheap,,
Imagine a total day of shooting to be reshot simply because of a dodgy cable..
Now imagine it being a live event which CANT be reshot... I shudder when i thnk about it...