View Full Version : HVX and Shutter speed

Ryan Maes
June 15th, 2006, 11:02 AM
This may not be the correct place to post this, but I have an HVX. And I'm confused about how to use the shutter.

I know that for the best results, you should use manual settings (i.e. manual focus, white balance, iris, etc), but I have always overlooked the shutter. Up till now, I have always left it on auto.

So, my question is, if I'm shooting in 24p mode, what shutter speed should I use. Should I leave it on auto, or switch to manual? I've heard that a shutter speed of 48 is good when shooting 24p.

Also, I know that for fast moving subjects, like in sports, you want to use a faster shutter speed. But for ever-day, standard movie scenes should I just use auto, 48, or some other variant.

Thanks.

Jon Fairhurst
June 15th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Also, I know that for fast moving subjects, like in sports, you want to use a faster shutter speed.It depends on the effect that you want to achieve. You might want to blur the motion of the lights traveling down the highway (slow shutter), or you might want a strobing, handheld look in a fight scene (fast shutter).

Mike Schrengohst
June 15th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Try different settings for youself to see the results.