View Full Version : Please someone help with Video Input Question!

Geoff Brennan
June 15th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Hi guys,

My question is this - I have a AG_HVX200 and I work for a newspaper. We are currently search for a way to run a high end VCR (which has a firewire output along with the usually AV Cable output) into the Camcorder where I can record the footage coming in from the VCR onto the P2 card. Is this even possible? If it is, and you know how this works, if you could please lay out a plan of action to help me along. Thank you!

Either post here or email me at geoff.brennan@tor.sunpub.com thanks. also, panasonic hasn't been much help and has not returned by calls about this (not the first time)...

Geoff

Mike Schrengohst
June 15th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I guess my first question is why?
If you have the deck why would you need to dump that to P2?
I guess it would work if the tape is DVCPRO HD.
Set up the HVX for 720 60p and try a test???
I know some people have gone FCP timeline back to P2.
Read the manual for specific instructions.

Geoff Brennan
June 15th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks Mike, here's a little more info (and for anyone else who could help):

The newspaper that I work for are attempting to take stills from a VCR cassette tape. When the VCR is run directly into the camera, the quality of the picture is about 1MB in size. When a still is taken off of footage recorded by the AG-HVX200 and dumped into the hard drive, the file is way way better quality and about 8-10MB for a frame grab. that is why i have been asked by the company to try and figure out how to do this.

the VCR has a firewire and regular AV output, i just don't know how to capture it through the camcorder.

Thanks, and please, someone, get back if you know!

geoff

David Saraceno
June 15th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I've tried and it won't work

You cannot go firewire or s video or composite to p2.

You need to record to tape.

Geoff Brennan
June 15th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks David!

What are the settings then that I need to put it at to go to DV tape? I know I can import that stuff into my HD no prob, I just don't know what settings to have the camcorder on! Thanks!

Geoff