View Full Version : Film Look Settings

Jason Honeycutt
June 26th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I am just curious to see what people's settings are to get the best "film look". I cannot seem to get the most out of this camera yet. I've seen DVX tape footage look more "film" than what I've been able to do with the HVX on HD so I have to be doing something wrong.

I've been trying to do trial and error tests of shutter angle, 24P vs. 24PN, CineV, etc., and can't seem to find the right combination.

Is there an "end all" list of scene file settings that will accomplish this? If so, anyone care to share? :) Thank you so much for any information!!

Shane Ross
June 26th, 2006, 02:28 PM
We shot 720p24 at 24PN and got the exact look we were looking for. And it shoots 24 frames...not 60 frames with pulldown, but 24 actual frames...so it is the exact framerate of film.

Maybe what you are looking for it better lighting?

Jason Honeycutt
June 26th, 2006, 02:39 PM
You're right, the lighting will definitely make a HUGE difference, I think. I've just been testing it in the neighborhood using natural light, just shooting traffics, people walking, etc.

I've just been in panic mode because when I direct vids I usually have a DP and we use Varicam (with a matte pox and paint box) but I'm shooting a really low-budg video this weekend and I have to shoot it myself, and with the HVX for the first time.

I might have answered my own question with a little internet browsing, hopefull this might help others;

http://www.dvfilm.com/hvx200/

Ash Greyson
June 27th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Those settings do NOT give you a film look, those are recommended settings for a film BUMP. WAY different... film bump is max detail, max rez, minimal chroma noise, etc. It looks like they are really just giving you very generic advice anyway... what look are you after? Post a grab...

ash =o)