View Full Version : Greetings from Pennsylvania...

Michael Prediger
April 23rd, 2003, 11:34 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new to the dv world and to this forum, so I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Michael and I'm a 30 year old fashion/commercial photographer in York, PA who is moving into the dv film world. I've always been fascinated with cinema of all types and look forward to beginning my first project this summer. I am shooting with the Panasonic AG-DVX100. Since I've done a lot of digital fashion photography, my lighting skills are pretty good, however, I believe I have LOTS to learn about shooting moving pictures.

The forums here have been immensely helpful with information of all types and I thank all you good folks for helping out those of us with questions. I look forward to a continued dialogue with the community of dvinfo. Have a great day!

Michael

Rob Lohman
April 23rd, 2003, 11:48 AM
Welcome Michael! Glad to have you with us. A lot of people are
getting "into" the moving images thing, so you are not alone here!

Don't worry about asking questions etc. and good luck on all
your projects! Who knows, you might even help us out with
some lighting questions!!

Matt Stahley
April 24th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Hello Michael I'm about an hour down route 30 from you. Glad to see a semi local join the boards!

John Locke
April 24th, 2003, 08:09 PM
York, PA? Doesn't Al Pacino say he's going to transfer to the York, Pennsylvania police force in "Sea of Love" to follow Ellen Barkin and try to win her back?

Anyway...welcome to the boards!

Michael Prediger
April 24th, 2003, 08:39 PM
John,

Well now I'm gonna HAVE to go rent and watch that again to check!

Thanks for the greetings everyone....I'm really looking forward to collaborating and possibly meeting some of the good folks here!

Michael

Adam VanScoyoc
May 29th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Hey Michael,
I am down 30 from you in New Oxford.
I am new to this community myself, but I am hooked. There is alot to learn here and I am amazed by the friendly atmosphere.

Have fun!

Matt Stahley
May 30th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Welcome Adam to the boards im only about 30-45 minutes away from you down 30!

Stylianos Moschapidakis
May 30th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Welcome, guys! I joined this forum about five weeks ago and "I've never looked back." Great forum!

Michael, good luck on your first "moving" shoot.

Michael Rodo
February 15th, 2005, 10:54 AM
It's good be home.... after 14+years in Sunny (Palm Bay) Florida, it was time to head North. Back to Lock Haven, PA. It's cold but boy is refreshing to be back home. I am trying to get established in this area. A lot has changed.... but a lot has stayed the same...

Boyd Ostroff
February 15th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Welcome back to Pennsylvania.... and welcome to DVinfo net Michael. Great to have you aboard!

John C. Lyons
May 30th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is John C. Lyons, I'm 28, and I am an independent filmmaker from Erie, Pennsylvania USA. My wife and I started up our own company, Lyons Den Productions, at the tail-end of last year: www.the-Lyons-Den.com. I use the Panasonic DVX100A and I absolutely love it!

This year has been good and busy for me thusfar. I completed my latest (long) short film HUNTING CAMP in January and am attempting to self-distribute and promote the 2-disc DVD/CD set.

We have been entering it into film festivals, so I am curious to hear your experiences with the good and bad, I have some of both already (the short has made 4 festivals to date). As well as your experiences and recommendations for getting the word out on your work, DVDs, etc.

If you are interested in checking out HUNTING CAMP here is the website:
www.the-Lyons-Den.com/huntingcamp

The trailer, stills, reviews, etc can all be found in the "MEDIA" section.

I have begun starting work on a new 5 minute short and will start shooting this week, I will post links to that once it's in the can. So what are you all working on?

K. Forman
May 30th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Hi John, and welcome to the place. I checked out the movie site, and it looked great... maybe just needed some eerie music ;) The trailer looked really good too. Was that shot with the DVX?

John C. Lyons
May 30th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the message and for checking out the movie site!

I have been thinking about adding some of the soundtrack music to the site, I will have to run that by the designer (as she's seated right behind me, he he).

Yes, I shot with a single DVX100A.

Walter Hicks
June 30th, 2006, 08:30 AM
I work for the video division of a litigation support and court reporting company. We mainly work in SD shooting on Panasonic DVX100's. We are moving into HD now and this is what drove me here, to tap into the collective minds of DV experts.

Nick Jushchyshyn
June 30th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Great to see another member from Philly! Welcome aboard!

Just curious .... does your company have a website?

Thanks for saying "Hi".
Have fun!

Boyd Ostroff
June 30th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Welcome to DVinfo Walter. I work in Philadelphia too!

Lorinda Norton
June 30th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Hiya Walter!
I just visited your city with a friend last week! Didn't get to spend much time there as it was a go-between, but we ate good Mexican food one night and walked along Penn's Landing, (I think that's what it's called) ate scary Chinese food late another night in a part of town that scared me more than the food, and got to see some of the famous historical sites. The most fun part, however, was running up the same steps as Sylvester Stallone (at 12:30 am), raising my arms in the air when I got to the top and standing in "Rocky's" footsteps. That was cool! (What can you expect? I'm from Idaho!) ;)

Welcome to DV Info! :)

p.s. to Boyd: I also got to spend a great night in Cape May. Near Mays Landing?

Boyd Ostroff
June 30th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Hi Lorinda! Awhile ago I read that running up those steps was the #1 tourist attraction in Philadelphia :-)

Mays Landing is maybe 45 miles North of Cape May, which is at the southernmost tip of New Jersey. I live around here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=39.40251,-74.773293&spn=0.1154,0.228996&om=1

Cape May is way down here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=39.120472,-74.862213&spn=0.463457,0.915985

It's a really cool place, but a little beyond my commuting range to Philadelphia.

Hugh DiMauro
July 3rd, 2006, 10:06 AM
Hiya Walter!

I'm with the Atlantic County Prosecutor's Office here in Atlantic City. If you ever run into a Philly childhood friend of mine and current Philadelphia Prosecutor named Robert Daisey, tell him I said hello. Welcome. I also own a DVX. Gotta love that rig, eh?

Kevin Martorana
March 7th, 2007, 12:59 AM
hey everyone !

Take One Productions is based in Lancaster, PA. (no...our editors and shooters AREN't Amish !) :)

We're shooting on DVCPro50 with an SDX900, a Panasonic DVX100A for DV,
Canon XL-H1 for HD and frequently rent the F900 Cine Alta.

We're posting with an Avid Adrenaline HD. Using a AJA downconvert box to go to SD. Also using a Convergence Connect box to capture video from the XL H1 into the Avid.

This is a great forum...and look forward to talking with lots of you folks.

Rob Lohman
March 7th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Hi Kevin, welcome aboard DV Info Net, it's good to have you with us!

Hugh DiMauro
October 17th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Ahhh, Lancaster! Where I used to go to escape the NJ rat race. Miller's, funnel cakes, shoo-fly pie, gentle rolling hills, Intercourse, Blue Balls, the fantastic butcher shops, cool antique shops. I always wanted to make a movie there but never had the chance. I hope you enter a DV challenge so I can get a glimpse of Lancaster again. It's a neat place. Then again, I can also watch "Witness" again. :-)

Richard Alvarez
October 17th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Lancaster... I spent a week there one day.

Seriously, I actually LIVED in Lancaster for five months out of the year, for three years running. 'Back in the day' when I was producing medieval jousts for renaissance faires, I lived in Mt. Hope... ten miles from Lancaster.

One of my favorite visits was to 'Roots' farmers market.

And yeah, I miss shoo flie pie.

Welcome.

Wade Spencer
October 18th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Welcome from another Pennsylvania member! What kind of things do you produce? Do you have a website?

Bill Mecca
October 18th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Just love the Lancaster area. I'm a Jersey boy, but escape to Lancaster whenever I can. Worked in television news in Scranton (family still there) and keep thinking of a move to Lancaster, but kinda tied up in the day job, so maybe come retirement time ;-)

Some of the guys I worked with are still shooting in that area, but we have lost touch, though I did have contact with an old competitor recently. Oh boy here comes the memory flood. LOL

Dale Stoltzfus
October 18th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Hey, I live there! :) I live in Denver and my office is in Ephrata. Cool - it's great to find someone else in my general area!

You mentioned renting - where is the place you rent from? I have yet to find any video production rental houses within reasonable driving distance.

Eric Casper
November 14th, 2007, 12:27 PM
anyone around harrisburg Pennsylvania? i just bought a XL1 and am very much a newbie who wants to learn all about his camera. so if anyone is out there lemme know~!!!