View Full Version : Any way to hack the GL2? (3rd party software, perhaps?)

Mike Barber
July 2nd, 2006, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know of any way I can hack my GL2, either via 3rd party software or otherwise?

I would love to be able to make my own interval recording settings for in the field, among other things (like making auto-focus' default mode = OFF, etc)

Chris Hurd
July 2nd, 2006, 12:20 PM
Interval recording is already a very difficult proposition for tape-based camcorders such as the GL2. The DV tape transport chassis just isn't capable of single-frame recording. The best they can manage is roughly 15 frames at a time, and I've never been happy with those kinds of results for any sort of serious time-lapse work. Fortunately though you can always use a FireStore FS-4 portable hard disk recorder, which does have a single-frame intervalometer function built right in.

You're aware that switching from auto focus to manual focus on the GL2 is just a simple push of a single button, right?

Mike Barber
July 2nd, 2006, 01:06 PM
Interval recording is already a very difficult proposition for tape-based camcorders such as the GL2. The DV tape transport chassis just isn't capable of single-frame recording. The best they can manage is roughly 15 frames at a time, and I've never been happy with those kinds of results for any sort of serious time-lapse work. Fortunately though you can always use a FireStore FS-4 portable hard disk recorder, which does have a single-frame intervalometer function built right in.

So, the smallest RECORD TIME is 0.5 seconds, which I am fine with... however i would love to be able to customize what the INTERVAL TIME is (0.5 seconds of every 10 seconds, or every 15 seconds, etc.), at the very least. Currently the choices are 30 sec., 1 min., 5 min., and 10 min., with record time choices of 0.5 sec., 1 sec., 1.5 sec., and 2 sec.

I don't have the $$$ to drop on a FireStore (or any other gear... just bought the GL2), but figure it may be possible to hack such settings with the right technology.

You're aware that switching from auto focus to manual focus on the GL2 is just a simple push of a single button, right?

Yes, of course... but auto-focus is the lamest thing since the pet rock, and it is a complete nuisance to have to constantly switch it off.

Tim Johnson
July 2nd, 2006, 01:16 PM
get a 35mm adapter, no auto focus there unless you spend big bucks!

Graham Bernard
July 2nd, 2006, 02:07 PM
GL2+Scenealyzer+Laptop = Time Lapse

Tim Johnson
July 2nd, 2006, 02:43 PM
GL2+Scenealyzer+Laptop = Time Lapse

What about just using a still camera?

Graham Bernard
July 2nd, 2006, 03:19 PM
What about just using a still camera?

Snappy! - And yes why not . . .

Tim Johnson
July 2nd, 2006, 03:25 PM
Snappy!

errrmmm.... ok

anyway, alot of canon cameras will hapilly do time lapse controlled by a laptop or pc.

Jason Robinson
July 3rd, 2006, 01:23 AM
errrmmm.... ok

anyway, alot of canon cameras will hapilly do time lapse controlled by a laptop or pc.

I just tried this technique this morning... both Photo based and video based to do a time lapse of a sun rise. The still photo method is a pain in the butt to set up (Using Vegas here) because still photo cameras do not match the aspect ratio of DV, so each and every one has to be cropped (can batch up the whole thing in PSP). Then all the transitions between the individual frames have to be set. Unless I am missing some great script for this (again, using Vegsa here).

jason

Chris Hurd
July 3rd, 2006, 07:35 AM
Using Canopus Rex Edit or Let's Edit, inserting and setting transitions between every clip on the timeline is a one-click operation. There's got to be similar scripts built in to the other major NLEs, right?

Mike Barber
July 3rd, 2006, 08:47 AM
I'm taking it that the answer to my question is a "no". Or at least, not that anyone is aware of...

The alternate suggestions are helpful, at least in knowing what my limitations are with the camera.

Regarding the suggestion to use a still camera: it's not the same thing. True it may do if I was just interested in capturing single frames -- but what if that's not what I intend to do? There is more to time-lapse than just that! Depending on the subject, I like to capture a few seconds of movement. Perhaps I want 5 seconds recorded out of every 30 second interval... or 3 seconds out of every 5 minutes...

Honestly, I feel that the ability to customize my time-lapse settings (as well as set the auto-focus to always be off unless I explicitly turn it on) is something that should be possible and the lack of this ability is bad (or lazy) engineering. I shouldn't have to turn to a third-party piece of software to use on a laptop (which means more $$$ spent) to do something I should have been able to do in-camera in the first place.

This is a great forum and I thank everyone for their responses. I have been learning much from reading the threads here.

Mike Barber
July 3rd, 2006, 11:51 PM
As an FYI/footnote, since Scenealyzer was suggested:

It should be noted that, AFAIK, Scenealyzer is Windoze [sic] only. Mac users may be interested in Boinx' iStopMotion (http://www.istopmotion.com).