View Full Version : WOW! Shuttle launch in HD!

Mike Teutsch
July 4th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Just got done watching the Discovery launch on the HD network channel. How cool and great pictures in HD! I TIVO'ed it and will keep for a while.

Picture quality sure looked better than I got last time when I filmed the launch about one year ago. But, I must say that I got some footage they did not as I kept the 20X lens on it for much longer. They were too close, boy does that sound strange! When the people around me said that it was gone, I was still taping! Also, as strange as it may seem, I actually followed it a bit better when a long way off. Surprised even me!

It's good to be back out there. What a 4th of July present!

Mike

Tim Goldman
July 4th, 2006, 03:34 PM
yeah, i saw it launch a few times, it's really cool! Specialy a night launch, talk about bright.

Steven Davis
July 6th, 2006, 08:44 PM
When it launched, all I could think about was, what type of camera is on the outside catching the footage.

Tim Goldman
July 6th, 2006, 08:46 PM
oh that ones easy, they just took a camera out of one of thoese estes model rocket kits :P

Jack Zhang
July 6th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Any word on whether it was native 720p or native 1080i or mixing both 720p and 1080i?

Mike Teutsch
July 7th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Not sure what cameras HD Net used, but they said they had four of them. I know they said that NASA had over 100 cameras watching the shuttle. They also have cameras in a couple of jets that follow for a short distance.

Mike

Chris Hurd
July 7th, 2006, 06:52 AM
From the STS-121 (the current mission flying now) fact sheet on the NASA site:

"Improved Imagery: STS-121 will be NASA's most-photographed mission in shuttle history. More than 100 high definition, digital, video and film cameras... four new video cameras have been added to the solid rocket boosters."

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/151227main_STS-121_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Jack Zhang
July 8th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Not sure what cameras HD Net used
Actually, NASA owns the HD cameras at KSC.

Pete Bauer
July 8th, 2006, 06:56 AM
NASA has hundreds of cameras pointed at the Shuttle, and onboard, for launch and a few of those go out live for public use via the television companies, but most of the NASA cameras are set up to check on specific engineering issues. I'd be amazed if the commercial enterprises like HD Net aren't using their own equipment.

I don't know what NASA or HD Net were using for launch coverage this time -- probably big dollar cameras -- but last year's **pre-launch** coverage of crew activities during quarantine was a one-man handheld show using a Varicam.

Mike Teutsch
July 8th, 2006, 07:09 AM
I'd be amazed if the commercial enterprises like HD Net aren't using their own equipment.

I agree. When I stated that HD Net had four cameras, that was based on their statement to that effect. They had access to other views, NASA cameras HD and other, but I think the four mains they used were their own.

Thanks to them for their patience, as they were set-up and live each day and did not give up.

Hey Pete, do you know a John Moorhead? He was my best friend in the 11th grade here in Florida. I met up with him a few years ago, and we had dinner during one of his trips to West Palm Beach, to check with Lockheed Martin. He's been with NASA now for over 30 years and is the chief engineer on the main engines.

Anyway, have a great day all.

Mike

Pete Bauer
July 8th, 2006, 10:28 AM
No, I'm in Houston and only know a handful of folks at KSC, mostly in the medical and crew quarters areas.

Rob Lohman
July 9th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Too bad we don't get that here. I hope to one day actually see a launch with
my own eyes. That should be one of those lifetime experiences I'd imagine.

Next thing would be to go into space myself and look at the blue "marble",
guess I have then done everything ;)

Pat Miller
July 12th, 2006, 08:30 AM
They use Sony HDC 700's & 750's the last time I worked with them shooting in 1080i.
I've personally shot 4 shuttle lift offs with another company in HD.
NASA has been using HD acquisition for about 10 years now and has miles upon miles of fiber installed within their facilities.
NHK/Japan has also shot them several times.

Mike Teutsch
July 12th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Pat,

Ok, I want your location next time! My taping took place 5-8 miles away.

Mike