View Full Version : Can you name P2 cards??

James Bart
July 12th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering if there's a way to name the p2 cards. As of now, I see them come up on my mac as "no name" when I mount the cards. Is there a way of naming them, say, "card1" and "card2", so I know which one is which???

Thanks,

James

Scott Schuster
July 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM
after you copy the contents of the card you should always reformat it so I would assume that it will go back to being a no name again.

Chayse Irvin
July 12th, 2006, 01:34 PM
after you copy the contents of the card you should always reformat it so I would assume that it will go back to being a no name again.
humm Thats lame. I guess you just gotta keep track by labeling the card itself and assigning it a slot.

Greg Boston
July 12th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering if there's a way to name the p2 cards. As of now, I see them come up on my mac as "no name" when I mount the cards. Is there a way of naming them, say, "card1" and "card2", so I know which one is which???

James,

Of course you can name them, but getting them to come when you call them is the hard part. (grin)

Seriously though, are you not able to supply a volume name when you format the cards? If you can format them on the host system (ie Disk Utility for OSX) then you should be able to supply a volume name at that point.

I don't own a P2 camera so I don't know if you can do it in camera or not.

-gb-

Barry Green
July 13th, 2006, 07:51 AM
You can name them when you format them in the P2 Viewer, and they will retain that name when you reformat them.

If you format them in-camera, that's when they revert to being "no-name".

Scott Schuster
July 13th, 2006, 03:41 PM
So if you're on a mac theres no P2 viewer. Does HD log/P2 log keep the name like the P2 viewer? And if you're on location without a laptop and reformating it with a P2 store I guess brings it to no name again. So if I'm understanding this you gotta have a pc laptop unless P2 log or HD log does it. And that means dollars again. Cmon Panasonic give us mac users a freebie program. I mean your competition, Sony, gave free mac software for the Xdcam. And while I'm at it how about a larger hard drive in the P2 store.