View Full Version : Major Canon video annoncements comming!

Pages : [1] 2

Jos Svendsen
July 13th, 2006, 04:57 AM
My mole in Canon has leaked that two video related announcements are comming up.

The first one is comming 26th of july. The second is comming 2nd of August.

I have (unfortunately) no idea of what they are announcing except for the statement:

The announcement will take place with assistance from the well known video guru from dvinfo.net - Christian Hord.

It makes you wonder, sort of ;^)

Graham Bernard
July 13th, 2006, 05:23 AM
It makes you wonder, sort of ;^)

"The announcement will take place with assistance from the well known video guru from dvinfo.net - Christian Hord. "

Eh? Chris Hurd . . Christian Hord . . Chris Hurd . . Christian Hord . . Chris Hurd . . Christian Hord . .

Anybody else see the similarity?

Jos .. stop "Jos-hing"

Seessshh.. my BP wont take it!!!

Jos Svendsen
July 13th, 2006, 05:51 AM
ahh - some day I will be found strangled with the strap of a GL3 DVD HDV (HDVD?) camcorder due to my barouqe sense of humour.

JOSS't a kid.

Bob Zimmerman
July 13th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Here it is:

Canon is proud to annouce they will continue the GL2 until 2009. The $250 rebate will go on.

Zack Vohaska
July 13th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Well...

I'm not going to set my hopes too high, but...if this is true, I might burst an artery in my excitement over the announcement of one or more HD camcorders. Being that we know that Canon said the XL2 was their last SD camcorder, I wonder what Canon has been up to in developing HD technology. I'd love to see a GL3/GL-H1, and perhaps a higher end camera that shoots DVCPRO HD (perhaps P2?).

Anyone have any predictions as to what the news will be?

EDIT: Bob, that wouldn't surprise me.

Philip Williams
July 13th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Looking at the last couple months of activity on the consumer front, I'm expecting that the entire Elura/Optura/DVD line will be consolidated into one exciting 1/4.5" single CCD DVD camcorder called the "Etura".

OK, seriously, this is about the time that Canon anounces new toys, so I have been looking out this month for any news from them. I still fully and completely expect an Optura HDV cam. MSRP $1,199. I'm thinking something along the size of the Xi and with similar features. And yes, the GL2 successor should be around the corner of course.

Now, I know its not going to happen, but wouldn't it just be a huge marketing move to put a progressive scan CCD/CMOS on that new Optura that can be clocked at 48hz and provide true 24P? Ah yes, Area 51 for sure.

www.philipwilliams.com

Jos Svendsen
July 13th, 2006, 11:25 AM
And just one more bit of info from my Canon mole - Deep focus.

Take a peek at this link http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/07/13/sonypanasonic/index.php
pls. note at the end that Canon is an active supporter of this format.

Interesting eh?

Bob Zimmerman
July 13th, 2006, 12:31 PM
could just be a consumer model. Might be kind of cool to see it go on a GL3 or the DVX100, plus have the tape drive. At least we might see native 16:9 on them,,,

Jos Svendsen
July 19th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Ok - now Sony has played their cards. AVCHD consumer camcorders! They are clearly going for the crowd with a HD tv set, that does not like computers.

A lot consumers like DVD camcorders because you not need a computer to edit, and it is hassle free to view the video. Take the disc out, put it in the DVD-player, and you are all set. No computer, no NLE, no problems,

The harddisk-cams have editing posibilities and most of them is seen as cost effective, because you do not have to invest in tapes. So the notion is thar you buy the cam, edit out all the bad bits, and then you have a vault of premium shots that you connect to your tv using HDMI.

I guess that the first Blu Ray recorders from Sony will give you a possibility to record from the harddisk-cams, thus conserving the content from the harddisk.

Now Canon does not have any Blu Ray, harddisk recorders etc etc to protect, so I'll gues that the HDGL3 will be able to record HDV directly on a DVD, and be targetet to the high end prosumers, than can live with the short recording time of the media. And it might be switchable to AVCHD just to keep the consumers happy.

Hmmm ... am I beginning to sound like the guy from SuperVideo.com?

Just one more peek in the cristal ball. Hmm... Denver Broncos wins superbowl, Canon merges with Sony, Avid is bought by Apple and a green flash is seen on Mars...

Steven Davis
July 19th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Here it is:

Canon is proud to annouce they will continue the GL2 until 2009. The $250 rebate will go on.

That is so funny, but kind of sad really.

Greg Boston
July 19th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Just one more peek in the cristal ball. Hmm... Denver Broncos wins superbowl, Canon merges with Sony, Avid is bought by Apple and a green flash is seen on Mars...

Jos, there is a well known brand of tobacco sold here in the U.S. called Copenhagen. I'm thinking the version they are selling you in Copenhagen has a little something extra in it.

I can believe any of that last statement except Denver Broncos winning the Superbowl. (big grin)

Just kidding around folks, I don't want any hate mail about how the Denver Broncos are a great team. I know this already.

-gb-

Kevin Shaw
July 19th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I'll gues that the HDGL3 will be able to record HDV directly on a DVD, and be targetet to the high end prosumers, than can live with the short recording time of the media. And it might be switchable to AVCHD just to keep the consumers happy.

My prediction is a "GL-H1" recording HDV to miniDV tape in a camera which looks like the GL2 (but bigger), followed by an HDV version of the Optura line. Makes sense for them to release these now that they've recovered some development money from people buying the XL-H1.

Any Canon AVC cameras won't ship until 2008-09. Why rush now?

Paul Rickford
July 20th, 2006, 03:05 AM
My prediction is a "GL-H1" recording HDV to miniDV tape in a camera which looks like the GL2 (but bigger), followed by an HDV version of the Optura line.

I sure hope so, been waiting 18 months for a GL3 HDV, tape is still good for me.

Christopher Brown
July 20th, 2006, 06:51 AM
I went into my local dealer yesterday to enquire about purchasing an XM2 and he said that they were just discontinued by Canon and they have only two coming in that they ordered just before Canon told them - one of which is already sold.

If this is really the case than the XM3/GL3 must be going to be anounced.

Steven Davis
July 20th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Well, I begged Cannon to give me a hint a month ago before I bought my Z1u, so if Cannon does release a new camera, well... I'm not selling my Sony. hehe.

Jacques Mersereau
July 20th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Maybe Canon is ready to release their new flat panel monitor. My boss
saw it at CES in Vegas and said it look superb!

That's #1. #2? The GL-HD with true 1080 P@60FPS ;-)

Graham Bernard
July 20th, 2006, 08:51 AM
. . . he said that they were just discontinued by Canon . . .

If this is really the case than the XM3/GL3 must be going to be anounced.

Well, Christopher, we've kinda been here before. Not one for wanting to pour cold water and the like, but, I wouldn't raise your hopes to high. . . Unlike me, of course, who is now more strung than a cat's gut on an overstrung fiddle being tuned by the Indredible Hulk while in turn he is having his nutz twisted by Superman!

Christopher Brown
July 20th, 2006, 08:58 AM
LOL Graham,

I know what you mean - anyway he had dropped his price $1000 Australian to get rid of the last one.

Cheers,

Chris

Frank Granovski
July 21st, 2006, 03:23 AM
Has it been 20 days yet? :-)

Wow! "12 members and 225 guests." I log on at the wrong time(s).

Chris Owen
July 21st, 2006, 10:17 AM
p00p! I don't have a camera and I have been looking (gave my little elura to my dad last week thinking I would be buying a new cam - XL2 maybe - this or next week). I guess I'm glad I haven't purchased yet - will wait until after Aug 2. I am way too impatient for this.

Actually, this may be good for me in that if a new cam is coming out, the price of the XL2 will drop a little or a new "in between" XL-H1 and GL-2 HD cam is coming out.

Graham Bernard
July 21st, 2006, 01:26 PM
Chris? You do mean August 2 . . 2007 - yes?

Chris Owen
July 21st, 2006, 02:00 PM
Chris? You do mean August 2 . . 2007 - yes?

Me? Why 2007?

Graham Bernard
July 21st, 2006, 10:53 PM
I guess I'm glad I haven't purchased yet - will wait until after Aug 2. I am way too impatient for this.

You? Aug 2? Would that 2007?

Chris Owen
July 21st, 2006, 11:01 PM
You? Aug 2? Would that 2007?

OK, I've obviously got a bad connection on this end ;)

What I was saying was I will wait until after the announcements as it may influence my purchase decision.

Can you hear me now?

Frank Granovski
July 22nd, 2006, 05:08 AM
Achtung! Das camera ist nicht fur der fingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und popencorken mit spitzen sparken. Das camera ist diggen by experten only. Ist nicht fur gerwerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das cottenpiken hands in das pockets. Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.Wow! Funny German. :-)

Michael Struthers
July 23rd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Good old Canon. Filling in the HDV line just as it's dying...

Chris Owen
July 23rd, 2006, 06:24 PM
Good old Canon. Filling in the HDV line just as it's dying...
:) Well, we don't know what the announcements are yet ... could be

"Canon has partnered with Texas Instruments to Deliver New High Resolution Wide-Screen Graphing Calculator"

Maybe they are revealing a new format. Only a few more days for announcement #1 ;)

Steven Davis
July 23rd, 2006, 09:17 PM
"Cannon to put out a new shoulder strap for the GL2!"

Bob Zimmerman
July 24th, 2006, 12:34 AM
"Cannon to put out a new shoulder strap for the GL2!"

new strap and the rebate,,,,,awesome! They might sell 50 or 60 more.

Graham Bernard
July 24th, 2006, 12:43 AM
new strap and the rebate,,,,,awesome! They might sell 50 or 60 more.

Bob, Bob, Bob . .<sigh> . . Now don't believe EVERYTHING you read here. C'mon, a rebate? Well really!

However, I do have it on the very best authority that "Straps" are definitely "IN" this year <wink>. Need I say more? I think not. But suffice it to say . . . I can say . .. . nothing more.

Bob Zimmerman
July 24th, 2006, 08:42 AM
will the strap say Canon on it?

If it does we are talking sales in the low 100's.

Graham Bernard
July 24th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Yup! It's a "Strap-Line"

Tim Goldman
July 24th, 2006, 12:11 PM
so, canon said what?
Their changing their lens mounts again? thus rendering your old lenses useless?

They bought the rights to betamax, figureing it was better then vhs, so it should be good enough for us?

Or is this just some one thinking they wanna hear about some mystery product, so they put up a post?

Bob Zimmerman
July 24th, 2006, 01:38 PM
no it's going to be HDV but it will also shoot film. Super 8.

Tim Goldman
July 24th, 2006, 01:42 PM
great!...now if they only offer a telecine machine for home.....

Tim Goldman
July 24th, 2006, 01:59 PM
oh, i found the big news on the canon site!!

CANON U.S.A. SPONSORS THIRD ANNUAL WOMEN AT RISK'S GOLF TOURNAMENT

so thre you have it! not video realated at all, some sort of risk/golf game, i wonder how the bomb and engeneers play out

Michael Wisniewski
July 24th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I'm still holding out for a cup holder.

Mike Teutsch
July 24th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I'm still holding out for a cup holder.

Supersized, but adjustable, 12, 16, 24, 32, and 40 oz.!

Zack Vohaska
July 24th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Variable holder sizes...now I've heard it all. Just as long as I have the option to hold 24oz, I'll be set for life.

Mike Teutsch
July 24th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Variable holder sizes...now I've heard it all. Just as long as I have the option to hold 24oz, I'll be set for life.

It's on my list!

Frank Granovski
July 24th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Will this new Canon GL2 strap also be sold separately? How much will it cost? Will it fit other video cameras including non-Canon models? How about still cameras?

Peter Ferling
July 24th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Requires no external power sources. A hand-crank that is tied to a quartz chrystal to ensure accurate timing. However, the optional 24P chrystal will cost extra.

Bob Zimmerman
July 24th, 2006, 08:35 PM
ok, I just read a website in Japan,,,it was kind of hard to read, but it looked like it said the new GL3 will also be a digital projector. Once you record you can pull some little legs out and turn on the projector switch and watch it. Great idea from Canon. What will Sony do now?

It also comes with a projector screen. Check it out!

www.Canon/japan/area51/GL3#$#!/upgrade.org

Steven Davis
July 24th, 2006, 08:43 PM
What will Sony do now?

Sony will put out a camera that ejects a lazer from the rear to blow the Cannon GL3 to smitherines.

Mark Kubat
July 24th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Egads, oh my!

Has Canon, the mighty Kwanon, at last become the laughing stock?

At last?

Methinks a GL3 AVCHD with 1080 24p and dual XLR's is the only way out of this... quagmire....

???

Hope dies last!

Oh yeah. It needs to retail for US$1,999.99 max.

Frank Granovski
July 25th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Oh yeah. It needs to retail for US$1,999.99 max.Yeah, but I see you live in Ont, Canada. GST and PST will bump it a way over $1,999.99.

Bob Zimmerman
July 25th, 2006, 06:16 AM
[QUOTE=Mark Kubat]Egads, oh my!

Has Canon, the mighty Kwanon, at last become the laughing stock?

At last?

Methinks a GL3 AVCHD with 1080 24p and dual XLR's is the only way out of this... quagmire....

???

Hope dies last!

Oh yeah. It needs to retail for US$1,999.99 max.[/QUOTE

Now you are really dreaming!!

Philip Gioja
July 25th, 2006, 08:31 AM
>>Methinks a GL3 AVCHD with 1080 24p and dual XLR's is the only way out of this...

Just a thought, maybe we should try to talk RED into making a prosumer version RED LITTLE. For $1999.

As much as I'd love to see it, I doubt Canon is thinking very far ahead. They seem to make solid equipment that's just behind everyone else. This probably won't be any different.

Guess we'll see...

Lawrence Bansbach
July 25th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Methinks a GL3 AVCHD with 1080 24p and dual XLR's is the only way out of this... quagmire....Has anyone even contemplated how it would be possible to design an HD cam with the GL form factor? The GL2 uses 3 quarter-inch CCDs. Without a technologic breakthrough, an HD chip of that size would probably yield an unacceptably noisy image. Use of a third-inch chip, however, would require a comparatively larger lens, which in turn would likely necessitate alteration of the camera's balance. The cumulative effect of several such changes would be a change to the form factor. Most likely, the HD replacement for the GL will be somewhat larger. But, unless its image quality is pretty bad (for HD), it lacks 24p, or its price is above, say, $5,000, it should sell briskly.

Chris Barcellos
July 25th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Sony did it with their CMOS chip in the tine A1U