View Full Version : audio for whitewater shoot

Craig Lindvahl
February 23rd, 2003, 06:03 PM
I'll be shooting some stuff during a white water trip on the Snake River. It's a 2-3 hour trip that we'll make twice on the same day. It's part of a documentary focusing on a disabled outdoorsman. Here's my question:

We'll be in a separate boat for the trip, and will be using an me66 from that boat. I'd like to hook up our subject, though. We use a shure UM1 lapel mic. If we rig it up inside his life jacket, how do we make sure it's water tight?

Can we just wrap the transmitter in a plastic bag? should we do something special for the mic? How about a plastic wrap cover for it? Would that muffle the sound?

Thanks for any advice you have.

Craig Lindvahl

Jeff Donald
February 27th, 2003, 09:52 PM
I've seen boats on the Snake (rafts, too) and I think it would be just about impossible to mic a participant and keep your gear dry. Have you ever been on big water? I doubt you could get much any way. The sound levels from the water (even small class II and class III water would over power almost any mic. The sound reflects off the canyon walls and is extremely load.

You might have to sacrifice some cheap lavs. I guess I would try wrapping the mic in plastic, but it certainly will muffle the sound level.

Don Palomaki
February 28th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Haven't some folks placed mics in (unlubricated) condoms to protect from water?

Jeff Donald
February 28th, 2003, 06:31 AM
I think now that you mentioned it, I have heard of that. After I posted last night I watched a couple of promotional videos I have from river rafting guide companies. The sound during the river scenes is all ambient sound. All the participant comments are recorded either after the trip or during calm water.

Rick Spilman
February 28th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Forget about the mike. How are you going to keep your camera dry?

I have shot whitewater from shore and using a helmet cam and clip on mike from a kayak and a raft. A condom might be worth a try. I have tried wrapping the mike in plastic and gotten good results for about half the run, until the water becomes pretty heavy and the mike shuts off or gets very "crackily".

Voice overs and selective dubbing, if possible sound like a good idea to lay down over the ambient roar of the water.