View Full Version : How can I distort facial features?

Patrick Courtnage
July 17th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Hello Everyone,
Currently I have an idea but I do not know how I would implement it. I want to make a shot of man eating another full grown man sitting next to him. So I'm trying to figure out how could I make the eaters mouth incredibly large where it would look realistic enough to fit a full grown man. I'm also wondering if I can make the the eaters tummy bulge out for a second and the plump back in after he ate the other man. It is supposed to be funny so it doesn't necessarily have to follow the laws of physics. Any suggestions would be appreciated whether it is software based or shooting style techniques. Thanks!

-Pat

Patrick Courtnage
July 17th, 2006, 04:17 PM
The office commercial at this site is sort of what I am thinking of. Only an even bigger mouth. http://funnyfox.org/

Boyd Ostroff
July 17th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Hi Patrick, and welcome to DVinfo! I hope you don't mind, but I had to change the title of your thread because a couple of our members couldn't resist the temptation to make wisecracks.

What software are you using? That would probably help people make some suggestions. I looked at your example, and I'm guessing they used some sort of plug-in which let them distort an area of the image. I believe Kai's Power Tools (KPT) let you do this sort of thing in Photoshop - that is one of those packages which has been bought and sold by several companies but it appears Corel owns it now:

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Products/Display&pfid=1047024307431&pid=1047022702225&trkid=kptgoogle&trkid=15999203

I suspect someone makes a similar thing which can be used with NLE software.

Henry Cho
July 17th, 2006, 07:21 PM
if you're an after effects user, you should check out reflex by revisionfx. it can produce the kind of effect you're referring to, as well as other morphing effects, and is relatively easy to learn.

Nick Jushchyshyn
July 17th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks for jumping in on the title correction Boyd! :)

If you have After Effects, the built-in Reshape effect would be great for this effect.

Patrick Courtnage
July 17th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Yeah I agree the title was wan't perfect and thanks for changing it.

Right now I am mostly using combustion although I do have a friend who has after effects that I could get access to. I'll certainly look into the directions all of you have pointed so far and appreciate the feedback. Thanks.