View Full Version : Hello From Chicago!

Pages : 1 [2]

November 29th, 2003, 11:25 PM
I believe it's the food as I love Andersonville then Wrigleyville....

Also there are great locations to shoot around here.

Dennis Sladek
November 30th, 2003, 06:32 AM
Like any/all Chicago natives, I'll vote for the food.
And of course, my personal favorite is Chicago style deep dish pizza. Just so many favorites to select from.

Don Bloom
November 30th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Food???? Never thought of that. I always felt it was the GREAT sports teams we had-you know, sitting in Soilder Field, end of December, they're 0 and 12, it's 27 below, there are 46 other people sitting there and we're having a good? time.

I should have picked the food ;-0

As much as I dislike cold weather (read; hate it), with all the kids living here and the grandkids and my friends and family and the business I've built, not to mention I just like the area, I guess I'll just put up with the winters, much as I'd like to go where it's warm.

It's my kinda o' town, Chicago is!

Don

David Sheneman
December 1st, 2003, 10:51 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Don Bloom : Hi David,
Welcome. Anchorage huh? Rockford????? Seems like a big leap, what brings you down from up nort, as we say in Chicago?

I'll be in Rockford on the 12th to do a reception somewhere over by the speedway (race track) I think.

Well, good to have you here, best to you,
Don B -->>>

Well, I worked in the technical realm in the church I grew up in, and it was starting to be time for me to make a change. I heard about this job and decided to try for it and, for some reason, they decided that I was the one for the job and here I am.

By the way, I'll be in Chicago in a couple weeks. What's the best deep-dish pizza place or other restaurant, like Italian or something, where my wife and I could eat a nice lunch?

Don Bloom
December 1st, 2003, 01:42 PM
Hi David,
Wow, when you make a move you go big huh? (or at least long distance) Best to you.

As for good pizza, well there are probably about a thousand places to go. Depends on what kind you like; deep dish, thin crust, real homemade or not, the choices are endless.

My wife and I live in the NW suburbs and there are great places all over by us but everytime we go visit our son, his wife and the g-kids a little further north, we get pizza from a place there cause it's one of the best we've ever had.

OK, thats the pizza review for now, I think I'll go heat some left over pie now.

Take care and remember; the pizza you eat...I can't remember the rest ;-o
Don

David Sheneman
December 1st, 2003, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. I don't know exactly which area of town I'll be in. I'm coming in to rent some video projectors/screens for a service on the 14th but I don't know yet what area of town the rental places are. I'll ask again when I know more about where I'm going.

Matthew Groch
October 28th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Hi All,

Just joined the site and wanted to briefly introduce myself. My name is Matt Groch and I live in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago, IL. I bought myself an XL1s in the summer of 2002 with the severence pay I received from the dying company I had to leave at the time. Since then, I've used it sporadically (that is to say, not as much as I probably should have).

I'm very much interested in making independent films and I've even been seriously considering applying to a graduate program in film. I was kicking off the application process and everything when it occurred to me that maybe spending $100K and 3 yrs of my life, while certainly giving me an education, might not necessarily bring me closer to my goals per se with respect to making movies. After hearing a particularly interesting testimonial from a new director at the recent international film festival here about how she did NOT attend a formal film program, I've kind of leaned more toward the 'learning by doing' methodology, picking up books, working with the equipment, asking questions through venues such as this, etc..

ANYWAY, I have actually put together a couple of projects- most notably, a couple of wedding videos for some personal fiends of mine. I think I made them more like music videos than traditional wedding videos, and they're more exercises in editing than anything else (that is to say, actual directing, for example). BUT, I'm hoping to kick off a short film project before the end of the year.. something not very ambitious just to get my feet week, so to speak.

For anyone that's actually read this far and lives in the vicinity, I'd love an opportunity to work with someone that's been doing this stuff for a while that might be able to be something of a mentor or what not; I have no experience with light theory or light production and the only experience I have with sound is a couple of books I picked up recently (and what I can distill with my own ears..). As far as equipment use goes, well.. I have my XL1s, and I'm not an expert with that by any means. As for software, I've been using Adobe Premiere since 1997 (I've upgraded several times since then.. Started off with a Miro DC-30 back then with a Hitachi Hi-8 mm.)

Ok, I think that's enough of a brain dump for now-
Regards,

Matt

Rob Lohman
October 31st, 2004, 10:15 AM
Welcome aboard Matthew! There are a lot of people here who
"make" movies without going to film school etc. Good to have
you aboard!

Dylan Couper
November 6th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Hey, welcome to the forum!

Mike Krum
November 24th, 2004, 04:43 PM
hey welcome!

Just to let you know i live near chicago to! I live in the town Naperville, And i have a sony pd150 and a 30 dollar tripod that works pretty well! I use vegas 4 instead of premiere. i think vegas is more user friendly. welcome

Bob Schneider
December 9th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Greetings Matthew,

I am in the Lombard area. "Hi" to Mike in Naperville also. I too am looking to collaborate. I have much to learn. This site is a great resource.

Jack McTigue
May 10th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Hi everyone,

I just joined with in the last week and wanted to introduce myself. Im a "Digital Cinema" student at DePaul University and have been using DV for about 6 years now. I got my start producing news packages for my highschool television station and now I'm studying cinema, so its deffinately been a gradual progession.

Last week I took out my first HD camera for a little test run and I'm really excited in what the future holds. That was the day with out immigrants protest that happend everywhere so I checked out the JVC-HD100 and documented the event as well as I could. I actually got introduced to this community by these guys who were filming the same event but with 3 of the same camera I was using. They seemed cool plus they had 3 JVC-HD100's so I decided to check it out. Well thats all for now. Drop a line and say hi.

Jack

Rob Lohman
May 10th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Welcome aboard (H)DV Info Net Jack, good to have you with us!

Manny Caras
October 21st, 2006, 12:55 AM
Hello everyone, I'm an Aussie, now permenantly living in the windy city..

I'm as new as they come in this field of work, (haven't actually started yet):)

I've been reading these threads for about a month and finally decided to register...I have much to learn and I reckon I've hit the jackpot with this site.

I want to get into event videography (weddings)..probably going to buy a
sony pd-170 for now and get used to it..hopefully work as an assistant with an established videographer...but for now as I stated..I have so much to learn.
thanks for having such an informative site like this available for everyone to learn, no matter what level they're at.

Manny.

Don Bloom
October 21st, 2006, 07:01 AM
Welcome to DVInfo, it's a great place to hang out, have a cup of coffee and talk it up!
Don B

Rob Lohman
October 21st, 2006, 04:31 PM
Hi Manny, welcome aboard DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

Manny Caras
October 22nd, 2006, 04:59 AM
Don and Rob,

Thanks for the welcome msgs.

Manny.

Andrew A. Smith
October 15th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Down here in the south suburbs with Panasonic and FCP Studio 2.Just finished working on the "the Dark Knight".Doing video production and consulting work now.Standard definition mostly for the web and local cable accces.

Walter J Walsh
October 19th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Andrew welcome aboard.
What south suburbs are you located in?

Don Bloom
October 19th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Welcome from the Nortwest suburbs!

Where south are you?

Don

Walter J Walsh
October 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I'm located in Frankfort, south of Orland Park. I'm way the hell down here.

John Dewey
October 20th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

I live in Tinley Park, IL.

Walter, you and I are practically next door neighbors!

-John Dewey

Don Bloom
October 20th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Hmmm, Frankfort, Tinley Park? Is that still in the U.S.? ;-)

Kidding, I've been thru Tinley ( a long time ago) but Frankfort is a bit out of my usual running grounds. Welcome aboard!

Don
(dry sarcastic sense of humor-or so my wife says and she oughta know; 38 years and counting)

Matthew Lochman
November 12th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Howdy all-
I am currently suffering from a intermittent keyboard failure bug which crawled into my computer on a sick Leopard and is plaguing my very digital existence, so I'll have to keep this brief to minimize my desire to throw my Macbook onto Damen Ave.
I work freelance in Chicago doing various things, all related to film. I am hoping to go down to my home (San Marcos actually...) Austin, TX and get mixed up in some filmic grandeur, and beat old man winter in the process. this will be my first year of migration... Anybody with experience? Recommendations? Contacts? :) You are all awesome. In advance.
-
Matthew Lochman