View Full Version : HVX Audio too low

Robert Lane
July 23rd, 2006, 06:35 PM
Not sure where I got this messed up:

Just recorded some studio scenes using a Senn G2 lav connected to INPUT 1 on the HVX. In-camera levels were normally between the two lines - -20 and -12(?) db. However, inputting these clips into FCP show the levels are very, very low, max peak around -18db on the FC level meters - which is about 50% too low.

HVX level controls were left at the 12 o'clock position; was I supposed to bring these up so that levels peaked around the zero point and let the ALC prevent clipping?

I normally don't setup the audio on shoots but had to do it myself on this one. It may be possible to reshoot these segments, but first I need to check on whether the sound files can be "fixed" in post.

Any suggestions welcome.

Justyn Rowe
July 23rd, 2006, 08:21 PM
Robert,

Do you have 4 channels of audio? The onboard HVX mikes also record and they are decidedly lower. I'd check through to find out which is your LAV, etc. I've found this annoying as well. I would say the ALC has been helpful from time to time in loud settings. I personally wish that we could monitor all 4 channels.. or solo some and/or get to have all 4 inputs controlled...

Not sure if I was helpful but there ya are. There's also a lot you can do in FCP with low levels. I also use sound soap as well to reduce the noise and room tone.

Robert Lane
July 23rd, 2006, 08:42 PM
Yep, the lav track was identified and they're all too low. I'm going to do some testing tonight and play with the level controls on the back, but I'm hoping Barry will chime in (no pun intended) and share the best method for setting up HVX audio.

Barry Green
July 23rd, 2006, 11:07 PM
I'd say to double-check that you're not looking at the on-camera mic tracks, as those will always be too low when used from a distance.

But when setting levels you don't want to have them riding between the two white lines; that would mean you wouldn't be recording any higher than about -15! That's way too low and wasting lots of your dynamic range. You should normally set them so that the audio level is averaging about three dots down from maximum (or three dots up from the second white line) so it's averaging around -6dB for a good strong level. If you want more headroom you might set the pots a little lower, but you definitely should have your average breaking past the second white line.

Robert Lane
July 23rd, 2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks, Barry.

A quick test tonight confirmed what you said; I've now found a happy setting between the 2:30 and 3 o'clock position on the POTS - at least for the lav I'm using and the ALC does a great job of preventing clipping.

So, it's re-shoot time!

Scott Auerbach
August 1st, 2006, 07:49 PM
Not sure where I got this messed up:

Just recorded some studio scenes using a Senn G2 lav connected to INPUT 1 on the HVX. In-camera levels were normally between the two lines - -20 and -12(?) db. However, inputting these clips into FCP show the levels are very, very low, max peak around -18db on the FC level meters - which is about 50% too low.

HVX level controls were left at the 12 o'clock position; was I supposed to bring these up so that levels peaked around the zero point and let the ALC prevent clipping?

I normally don't setup the audio on shoots but had to do it myself on this one. It may be possible to reshoot these segments, but first I need to check on whether the sound files can be "fixed" in post.

Any suggestions welcome.

My suggestion would be to Panasonic: DID YA THINK OF GIVING US A RED 0dB SPOT TOO, instead of just -10 and -12?? That would've been awfully helpful, ya know... As built, the meters seem to indicate exactly what Robert thought... that -12 is the upper limit.

Barry Green
August 1st, 2006, 09:00 PM
Don't know what you mean. There's a red clip indicator at 0dB.