View Full Version : firewire cable question

Max Mishler
February 25th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Has anyone used the cheaper "no name" firewire cables being sold on eBay? I know that the connectors are flimsy by nature on these cables but I'm getting really sick of paying for the overinflated price of Monster cables. Seems to me, this is exactly what eBay is good for... cheap stuff... Sorry if this has already been talked about, I tried doing a search to no avail...

Max

Tustin Larson
February 25th, 2003, 05:06 PM
I recently purchased a 3' 4pin to 4pin IEEE1394 Firewire cable for .99 cents... It does the job just fine.

Tustin Larson

Don Palomaki
February 25th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Modest cost cables work fine for most purposes. Monster cables mainly provide status and bragging rights (in some circles) while deflating the billfold.

I've not bought cables on ebay - I found that ebay tends to be overpriced for many things.

Ken Tanaka
February 25th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Max,
Actually, this hasn't been discussed (in my memory).

I wasn't aware that Monster Cable had moved into the Firewire realm. While MC may have some faint bragging rights in the world of analog signal cables, they don't in the digital world. Don't waste your money paying them a marketing premium.

I also wouldn't bother with eBay for cables. Radio Shack, or other generic Firewire cables will generally do just fine.

Max Mishler
February 25th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Ken,

You're probably right as far as Monster goes. I recently bought an optical cable for my home theater and for some reason I had it in my mind that it was Monster. Thanks for the response, I'll go for a less expensive cable.

Max

Jeff Donald
February 25th, 2003, 10:18 PM
I've traced dropped frame issues to firewire cables. Be careful of the length of firewire 400 cables. I'm not sure that 6 foot is recommended without special cables. With generic cables the shorter the better would be my recommendation.

Ken Tanaka
February 25th, 2003, 10:28 PM
This article (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50456&SaveKCWindowURL=http%3A%2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com%2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePage&searchMode=Assisted&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com&showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=false&sessionID=anonymous%7C165220773) from the Apple site's knowledge-base, seems to confirm Jeff's remarks concerning cable length.

There are (much) longer cables available but they have some type of repeaters built-in to maintain signal integrity.

Don Palomaki
February 26th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Monster Cable is into S-VIDEO, composiite video, audio, fiber optic (Toslink and mini), data (with RCA connctors) , passive s-video -to-composite adapters, rf splitters, y-asdapters, surge protectors, speaker connectors, speaker cable, and IEEE1394 cables. All at a premium price. THe longest IEEE1394 cable I've seen listed from Monster is 4 meters.

Long cable relies on excellent cable with low losses, including retaining the pulse shape. 4.5m is the Firewire cable spec. Probably set at aconservative to allow for low cost cable, manufacturing tollerances, and minimally performing firewire gear.

MarkerTek offes IEEE 1394 cable lengths to 70 feet, w/o repeaters at 100 Mbps data rates.

Focus (Videonics) offered lengths to 50 meters. http://www.videonics.com/products/distancedv/'.
Elite Video is another retail outlet with longer cables (100')

George Brackett III
February 27th, 2003, 06:39 AM
I just ordered a generic cable from a place in Ohio. Cost 7$ + shipping. I'll let you know how it works....

Dan Holly
February 27th, 2003, 10:56 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : I've traced dropped frame issues to firewire cables. Be careful of the length of firewire 400 cables. I'm not sure that 6 foot is recommended without special cables. With generic cables the shorter the better would be my recommendation. -->>>

Jeff/Ken,
Is this true across platforms (e.g. Win/Mac)?

The example Ken provided was in "Mac-lish". <;~)

Ken Tanaka
February 27th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Dan,
Regarding the cable length recommendation, the answer would be yes. I believe the guideline is based principally on the IEEE 1394 specifications which are platform-independent.

Ken Tanaka
February 27th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Don P.,
Yes, I've seen those very long Firewire cables in the Markertek catalog and wondered about them. There's a Distance DV (brand) that runs up to 50 meters. It's description reads:Distance DV is comprised of single IEEE-1394 compatible cable with a built in proprietary filter and equalizer that connects directly to DV devices. This special design reduces attenuation and noise common with long distance cable runs.
Hey, for a $600 piece of cable it better contain something "proprietary"!

Dan Holly
February 28th, 2003, 11:54 AM
<NT>

George Brackett III
March 1st, 2003, 06:39 AM
Just tried my $7 firewire cable. It actually looks heavier than the $30 one I got fron Circus City.....works great!

Max Mishler
March 1st, 2003, 09:43 AM
George,

That's good to hear. I ended up having to buy one of those 30.00 Circuit City ones yesterday as I had to have it immediately and they are the ONLY store in Myrtle Beach carrying firewire cables right now. I think I'll order a couple of the cheapies now so that I don't run into this predicament again...

Max

Jesse Weaver
March 2nd, 2003, 05:52 PM
Has anyone here had the oportunity to use a firewire longer than 4? I would be interested to hear first hand how a cable like that worked out in a real world situation. Thanks

Blip Pio
July 5th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Yes, I've used a 100' firewire cable from a camera to a deck with no problem. However, I tried the same 100 footer from a computer to an external firewire drive and it did not work at all; the drive wasn't even recognized.

I just came across this site. They seem to have high quality cables at a decent price:

http://www.1394store.com/eshop/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=6

Note that on thier 20M cable they state that it is good for "camcorder applications only", hence the problem I had...

I did buy their firewire networking software, it works great. You can connect two computers via a firewire cable at up to gigabit ethernet speeds. The software is somewhere around $15 for each user license...check out the details, it's pretty cool

Samuel Raj
July 26th, 2003, 04:17 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by George Brackett III : Just tried my $7 firewire cable. It actually looks heavier than the $30 one I got fron Circus City.....works great! -->>>

George, where did u get $7 firewire cable
thanks
sam

Ray Echevers
May 27th, 2004, 11:29 PM
I bought today at MicroCenter, a QVS (generic) 10ft ieee1394 cable for $19.99.
Should I return it and get a shorter one? I really don't wanna deal with dropped frames, but maybe i'll give it a try anyways.

Miquel de Pablo
May 28th, 2004, 06:52 AM
If I may chime in...

I once bought a 6 ft, $10 firewire cable from target. The audio on the captured video had some constant popping, as if the sampling rate between the camera and computer were slightly different. I switched to a $30 Circuit City cable (I think it was also 6 ft, though), and the audio problem went away.

Ray Echevers
May 28th, 2004, 09:05 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Miquel de Pablo : If I may chime in...

I once bought a 6 ft, $10 firewire cable from target. The audio on the captured video had some constant popping, as if the sampling rate between the camera and computer were slightly different. I switched to a $30 Circuit City cable (I think it was also 6 ft, though), and the audio problem went away. -->>>
I'm gonna return that one I bought, I'll probably end up buying a Belkin one they have that is 6' for like $25. The quality on that one should be legit, they are a pretty big and make a lot of accessories for Apple stuff. I haven't seen any of the Sony iLink cables round here, so that will do.
I'd rather not have to deal with capturing issues.

EDIT

Well I returned the generic one, and got a 3' Belkin one for $24.99. Short but oh well, I hope I will not have any issues with capturing.