View Full Version : Dvd-r

Mike Curcuru
February 27th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Anyone know a good place to get cheap, blank dvd-r media? Good discs too, you know, the one's that will play in almost every dvd player. Thanks.

Jeff Donald
February 27th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Your may find this compatability information (http://www.dvdtoday.com/Recordable%20DVD%20Test.htm) of use. The top three brands for compatability are Maxell (80%), TDK (76%) and Apple (73%). On the inexpensive side you'll find that the generic brands don't get above 60% compatability and many are below 50%. You get what you pay for.

Edward Troxel
February 27th, 2003, 10:31 AM
I usually purchase from www.taperesources.com.

They also have Maxell & Verbatim with printable surfaces.

Keith Luken
February 27th, 2003, 12:32 PM
I agree, in DVD-R you most definitly get what you pay for! I bought one of those 100 disc spindles at $129 for 100 and wasted about 20+ due to incompatibilities. I now stick with TDK! They seem to be a little cheapr than Maxell and almost as compatible. I have found TDK for as low as $240 for qty. 100.

stankern
February 27th, 2003, 06:12 PM
I purchased dvd-rw's and dvd-r at 2.20 usa brand called ritek by a company called EZ duplication out of chicago ,these are working fine in a cheap apex dvd player and an expensive toshiba .
I was concerned because i had purchased pioneer,memorex disks at 3x that .
I'm using 2 pioneer recorders.

Christopher Go
February 27th, 2003, 08:36 PM
I also like and use TDK media for DVD burning. So far, not one problem and I think they're priced fair.

Jeff Donald
February 27th, 2003, 08:43 PM
I think your playing with fire with the Ritek discs. If your the only one using your DVD's and your players don't have a compatibility problem, great. The Riteks had only a 51% compatibility rating.

Vic Owen
February 27th, 2003, 09:49 PM
DV Magzine did a big review last year (July, I think). Maxells came out on top, with Apple brand pretty close. I think Apple DVD-Rs are made by Maxell.

Tape Resources is selling them for right around 3 bucks.

Mike Tesh
March 2nd, 2003, 08:24 PM
The consensus over at dvdrhelp.com (http://www.dvdrhelp.com) seems to be that Ritek media is some of the cheapest and better media you can get. At something like a dollar and under a disk.

Don Parrish
March 3rd, 2003, 01:09 PM
Speaking of the apex DVD players, My mother bought one and so have several other people that I know, and yes they are cheap. However, they seem to read everything, VCD SVCD CD DVD. I have also seen an apex DVD walkman with a 4" lcd screen and so far everything that they have made seems to work fine, have I seen the unusual or does it seem that apex is actually producing good gear.