View Full Version : Tripod recommendations for the Canon XL2

Pages : [1] 2 3

Christopher Go
August 25th, 2004, 02:49 AM
I would like to match my Miller DS-10 tripod with a Canon XL2 and 16X Manual lens, along with a Chrosziel mattebox (clamp on or otherwise).

Do you guys think that this may be asking too much of the DS-10 or should I be considering an upgrade to the DS-20?

Nick Reed
August 28th, 2004, 12:51 AM
How much does your setup weigh? The DS10 has an internal spring counterbalance for 10 pounds.

Evan Fisher
September 14th, 2004, 10:06 AM
My new XL2 is on it's way (I'll have it Thursday & I am soooo excited) and I will be in need of a new tripod and head (the tripod doesn't need to be new but I imagine a new head should be?). Monopod as well. The tripod will be used for commercial (low budget) and event production. I blew the bulk of my budget on the camera so I want to pick up most of my other gear used. ie. lights, sticks, maybe lenses (if they are in good shape) but I'll check the appropriate forums for that stuff.

I'm looking for advice on products that have worked for people and what they may recommend for this camera or the XL1(s) as it is so new.

Thanks.

Evan Fisher
September 16th, 2004, 12:55 PM
OK, No response at all.

Well, I've been out looking and there are many great tripods out there many of which are overkill and way expensive.

Is anyone out there using the Libec LS-35? Some people are selling the LS-22 as part of a package with the camera but that seems like too minimal a tripod especially once you add batteries, lights, hoods...

These seem like a good bang for the buck but no salesman is going to convince me. Does anyone out there have some real world experience with this product?

Ken Tanaka
September 16th, 2004, 03:48 PM
What's your budget?

Evan Fisher
September 16th, 2004, 04:51 PM
I'd like to get the best product for the lowest amount of money. I am not opposed to buying a good used tripod.

At the most, I'd pay up to 450 for used and up to 650 for new (which is about what these Libec units cost).

Ken Tanaka
September 16th, 2004, 05:04 PM
My suggestion: Look for a used Miller DS-10 or DV-10 (Solo) rig. You may be able to find one in the $600-$700 range.

For your consideration, and as I've said so often: A truly high-quality head and sticks will serve you far better for far longer in a far wider range of conditions than an inexpensive rig employing marginal manufacturing and materials. A good support rig will also long outlive your camera, and its grandchildren and maybe its great-grandchildren. It's a longer-term investment than a camera.

Good luck in your search!

Jacques Mersereau
September 17th, 2004, 06:10 PM
A new report on Miller DS-5 tripod.

One of my colleagues purchased a Miller DS-5 about a year and
a half ago. He came into our gear check out facility yesterday and asked
about a tripod. I asked why he wasn't using his Miller.

The leg set knobs have ALL cracked and are now broken off rendering the
tripod useless. He has to send it back and wait for repair . . . ugh.

My guess is that Miller used crummy plastic.

A bummer considering he paid close to a grand for it.

Ken Tanaka
September 17th, 2004, 08:56 PM
That's -very- surprising, Jacques, for two reasons. First, to the extent I can determine, the plastic used on my DS-10's leg locks is basically the same as on my Sachtler and Vinten. It is not a brittle materia, more like a polyethylene / nylon material. Second, it's hard to imagine applying enough force to my DS-10's leg lock knobs to ever break them, even when they're very cold. They snap right into a full-lock position.

<shrug>

Jacques Mersereau
September 18th, 2004, 03:10 PM
He has the DS-5, so there is the possibility Miller used different
parts than the 10. How long have you owned yours?

Ken Tanaka
September 18th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Coming up on 3 years.

Jacques Mersereau
September 18th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Maybe Miller went with cheaper parts a year after you bought yours.
It's been known to happen ;|

George R. Rivers III
December 24th, 2004, 07:46 AM
I have a pretty good boom, but I need a head for the camera(XL2)
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Jeffrey Thayer
December 26th, 2004, 11:12 AM
I have an XL-2 with an MCE digital drive system attached underneath. Looking for suggestions for a reasonably priced tripod that will support/balance both. Thank you.

Rob Lohman
December 29th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Please take a time to look around this forum and do a search on
head (you can limit the search to just this forum). Heads (and sticks)
have been discussed at great lengths already.

Thank you.

Rob Lohman
December 29th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Please take your time to look and search this forum. Tripods,
heads and sticks have been discussed at great lengths already
here.

Thank you.

Owen Hughes
February 19th, 2005, 09:23 AM
I am on the verge of getting a Canon XL2 and I am on the hunt for a decent tripod. I will have a budget of about £200 and from what I can gather I think this Libec TH-950 is the best I'll get for my money. I looked into getting a Manfrotto (as I used one for the first time Thursday and fell in love) but for something capable of the XL2 it's way over my budget.

From what I can gather too I don't need to get the Tripod adapter (which I have been told costs £120) for the XL2 with this Libec tripod or have I been misinformed?

Here's a link to the Libec: http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Libec_Tripods.htm#950

Do you guys think this tripod is any good? If not, could you suggest another to me within my £200 budget.

cheers Owen

Robin Davies-Rollinson
February 20th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Owen,
If you've spent that much money on the XL2, my advice would be to save some more and get a better tripod/head than the Libec. It won't be long before you discover its shortcomings.
The Manfrotto 503 head and 525MVB legs will be much better, but everything is relative - you could go on to spend thousands on just the head alone...
You've already tried the Manfrotto, so you know what it can do - need I say more?

Hwyl,

Robin

Jon Turner
February 20th, 2005, 04:39 AM
i have the manfrotto 503/525 kit and i bought it from b-hague for £380 which is as good a price as you can get it for.

it's a very good kit, and i find it perfect for my xl2. i can't say i have much experience with other kits, but i am not disappointed or frustrated with this one as it holds the cam steady, pans smoothly, and there are plenty of variables to adjust to get it to perform as you require.

p.s. hague are really nice folks. they took the time to show me around their stuff and allowed me to compare the 501 and 503 heads. if you can get down to their little showroom you can see all their kit, so take the opportunity. i will be going back there when i need (i.e. can afford) more gear.

Owen Hughes
February 20th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Ok. Thanks. I will try and scrape some cash together somehow and upgrade to a manfrotto.

Robin, that's the exact reason why I can't afford a decent tripod, because I've just spend all that money on an xl2. But maybe if I ask nicely the bank will give me a few hundred £ more, doubt it though. They're not my best friends as it is.

Diolch

Owen

Pete Bauer
February 20th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Hi Owen,

Just some peanut gallery thoughts. Although the Libecs are a good value for dollar (or Pound Sterling), I agree that if you are going to shoot serious video with a relatively expensive camera, try to scrape together a few more quid to get at least the next step up.

But if you absolutely can't spend more and your intended use isn't too demanding, Libec may be reasonable. Being only a hobbyist, I originally bought a Libec M20 (which does not have counterweights) to go along with my GL2, based on a "bang-for-buck" recommendation. When I got my XL2, I found that it is a bit front heavy for this tripod, but I've been getting by reasonably well with it anyway. Reasonably smooth pans and tilts. Presumably the 950 would be of at least equal quality and has counterweights according to that advert you linked. Then again, some people have posted that they were distinctly unhappy with Libec due to stickiness on panning, which I have not noticed on mine.

Regardless, when my hobby budget allows, I'll be looking for a head that's better than "reasonably smooth." Maybe something in the Miller DS10 range...at least based on their reputation -- some folks have complained about poor quality parts in them. I don't know whether or not that one is worth the money (over $1000US for head and sticks) against, for example, the Bogen 503 (US)/Manfrotto 3460 (civilized world) head that I've played with in the camera store (note that the 501/3433 does not have counterbalancing capability). It does seem distinctly smoother than the Libec M20. And they have a new head on the market, the 505/3465 so might be good to investigate that. I also liked the feel and ergonomincs of the Gitzo G2380 when the time comes, I'm going to look closer at that one again. I REALLY liked the ergonomics of that head...but again, I'm a hobbyist in window-shop mode.

Hope all this rambling has been of some minor help.

Owen Hughes
February 20th, 2005, 09:38 AM
I think I'm going to go for the Manfrotto 503 head with 525 sticks.

I've used one of those before and it was 'oh so smooth'. This all of course is if mr. bank manager decides he wants to give me that little bit more. I need to save some cash for a hard case for the xl2 and a hand full of filters.

Thanks for the lengthy advice given though.

Also want one of these at some point: http://pec.co.uk/oscommerce-2.2ms2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=140_177_158&products_id=1196&osCsid=dfe7d861db1b10b18c54f29ff55c3a7f

Owen

K. Forman
February 20th, 2005, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure how well the 503 will work with an XL, but it was almost too much for the 501. It would start to slowly crawl down, due to the front heavy cam.

Owen Hughes
February 20th, 2005, 10:39 AM
the 503 has a spring counterbalance system so it should be ok.

Jon Turner
February 20th, 2005, 10:40 AM
i have the 503 and the xl2 does like to lean forward, however the design allows you to adjust the mounting plate to counterbalance also.

Mike Hardcastle
February 22nd, 2005, 05:47 PM
Hello Owen I have the Libec 950 bought from B.Hague I find its more than enough support for my XL2 the counter balance feature really does help the nose heavy weight of the XL2. Used it for a few weddings last year and its quite light and portable.

Gary Barr
June 8th, 2005, 03:03 PM
As it says really, a couple of times recently during filming my XL2 has seemed to get wedged onto my tripod head. It shifts ok up until you have to depress the tripod head button and then only a couple of inches before getting stuck. If it helps it's almost like the plate is too big for the head(obv it's not but that's what it feels like).

Is it because I've got the camera too loaded? - dual batt charger with 2x945s on board, wireless receiver, paglight.

Has anyone else had this problem, and is the answer going for the TA100 tripod adaptor?

Thanks guys, great forum.

Alexander Berezovsky
July 7th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Alright, down and dirty :)
I need a tripod for my XL2
I've researched and researched but can't decide or figure out what to get.
I like and I'm set on Manfrotto. I was thinking of the 501 head, but when you hear xl2 also 503 comes up often. I dont really get the difference between the 501 head and 503. Which should I choose. Even bigger proglem is the legs. I was told and I agree the heavier the better. What good pair of legs will go with the 503 or 501. Budgeting is always a problem but I'm willing to spend upto $200 on the legs and 501 is around $130.

Explanations and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Jay Gladwell
July 8th, 2005, 05:13 AM
If you want sturdy, steady, and smooth you'd better plan on spending a lot more than $330! I can't for the life of me understand why people buy expensive cameras and cheap tripods.

The "explanation" is you get what you pay for. Why are you willing to pay thousands of dollars for the XL2 and only a few hundred dollars for your tripod and head? When the XL2's 20x lens is zoomed all the way in on the subject, the image will be very shakey unless you have a solid and sturdy tripod system.

Look back through some recent posts here to find many, many discussions on this issue of tripods and heads.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=46961

Jay

Ido Levy
July 26th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Hi All

I need to decide between the Miller DS 10 fluid head or the Vinten Vision 3 fluid head for my XL2. I need the best support i can get as i am going to use some long lenses on my XL2 mainly for birds shots.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Ido

Jacques Star
July 26th, 2005, 07:47 PM
If you want the best, you should go with a Satchler.

I have a Video 20 II, but that's for cameras up to 20 kg's

You would be fine with a Satchler DV-4II/2 Aluminum Tripod

B&H sells them for a little over $1,000

If you want a lighter one, you can get the same head with carbon fiber legs.

Alexander Berezovsky
July 31st, 2005, 04:22 PM
Update.......

Decided on 503 head ( I think the counter balance spring is good to have with XL2)

and also the 525MVB tripod.

Please post your suggestions or comments on whether that's a good head and legs for XL2 ?? Thanks.

Is anyone selling this setup?

Jay Gladwell
July 31st, 2005, 05:34 PM
Alex, why not the 515 with the 510 head?

Jay

Alexander Berezovsky
July 31st, 2005, 06:05 PM
Alex, why not the 515 with the 510 head?

Jay

510 mainly not due to lack of funding... :(

515 and 525 seem to be exactly the same except the Head Mount, for the 525 it says that I need the 3284Ball in order to work with the 503, but on the Bogen website it says nothing about 515 and 503, my guess it also needs the 3284. ? I just need good 3 legs for the 503 at this point, that's what my current funding allows.

Mike Teutsch
July 31st, 2005, 06:41 PM
The 503 is a true fluid head and has a counter balance spring to support the weight of your camera when tilting forward and back. The 501 is smooth after you start moving, but sticks for the first move, and is not true fluid. It is a nice head, but not as good as the 503.

I have a 503 and a 501, and I will be selling my 501 to get another 503. Paid $149.00 plus shipping at B&H, anyone want it for $139.00, with paid shipping? Mounted on tripod and never used.

Mike

Adam Bray
August 20th, 2005, 08:20 AM
What's a good tripod for an XL2? Something under $1000 if that's possible?

Mike Teutsch
August 20th, 2005, 09:00 AM
What's a good tripod for an XL2? Something under $1000 if that's possible?

Adam,

See this thread, just starting too.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49627

ike

Pete Bauer
August 20th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Hi Adam,
Mike beat me to the punch this morning. Since everyone's camera setup and needs are different, there's no single correct answer to your question. So the advice to browse through the Support Your Local Camera (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=42) forum is best. You'll find a lot of good opinions and reports of actual experiences with various tripods.

Ty Ford
September 27th, 2005, 07:28 PM
So, does anyone have any good suggestions for an XL2 tripod and head?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Mark Utley
September 27th, 2005, 09:41 PM
I've heard that the Manfrotto 501 is good and cheap.

http://www.cyberphoto.se/stativ/manfrotto/501.gif

Alan Porter
September 27th, 2005, 10:27 PM
I find the 501 a bit light for the XL2.

Cheerio,
Alan

Quoc Peyrot
September 28th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Most people in older threads are saying you should spend the extra $ to get the 503 instead of the 501. Some of them even bought the 501 first, then tried the 503, and finally sold their 501 to get the 503 instead.

I never tried the 501, but I recently (2weeks ago) bought the 503 after reading all the praises in this forum. I mounted it on my (very) old 058 Manfrotto tripod. And I must say this head is very impressive. It works quite nicely with the XL2.

So, as everyone else, I'd say you should buy the 503 fluid head if you can :)

Michael Salzlechner
September 28th, 2005, 04:56 AM
agree

the 503 is the least you should get.

Les Wilson
September 29th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Cartoni Focus. Lots of pro features. Illuminated level is very handy. The variable tension is particularily good for handling the different configurations of the XL.

Jack Barker
September 29th, 2005, 10:11 AM
503 head on 525MVB sticks is a wonderful combination.
Quick setup and smooth as butter.

Allan Legarth Nielsen
September 29th, 2005, 10:39 AM
I have the 501, and I have no problems with it, works fantastic for my XL2.

Mike Teutsch
September 29th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I have the 501, and I have no problems with it, works fantastic for my XL2.

Try tilting it forward more than a few degrees! The 503 is a minimum.

Mike

Ty Ford
September 29th, 2005, 04:13 PM
503 and what>

525 MVB or 542ART

Regards,

Ty

Cal Johnson
September 29th, 2005, 08:36 PM
If you can afford it, the Miller Arrow 30 is a terrific tripod head. I was at NAB 2005 and tried pretty much every tripod out there, and the Miller was by far the best, and by far the most expensive. One thing that always bugs me is watching people "test" tripod heads for fulid action by doing big, sweeping pans back and forth as they say "wow, that's smooth!". IMHO the best way to torture test a tripod and just see how much bang for you're buck you're getting is to zoom in on a subject and see if you can smoothly make very minor corrections, both panning and tilting. The weight of the camera is also a factor, as heavier camera's can be a little bit easier to control and therefore have smoother motion. This makes performance all that more critical when selecting a tripod for a camera such as the XL2, since it only weighs about 6 pounds.
I use a Bogen 501 with my XL2, and it just isn't able to handle doing small corrections smoothly. There is almost always a little "jerk" off the start as the friction plates break loose from each other. The moment my bank account fills enough to afford the Miller Arrow 30, I'll drain it without hesitation.

Ty Ford
October 1st, 2005, 07:52 PM
How about a Sachtler 2 or 4?

Seems I am running into them lately.

Ty