View Full Version : How do I...

Alex Sprinkle
August 3rd, 2006, 04:47 PM
Hey, how do I log a dvd player into my GL2? There's a few clips from movies I want to get without extracting on my PC then transfering the file to my mac, where i always lose sound, or quality or both. Ideas?

Don Palomaki
August 4th, 2006, 04:13 AM
If the DVD is copy protected by a standard copy protection scheme (and most commercial movies are) the GL2 willl respect the copy protection and not let you record a usable copy. You may have some success if you run the analog output of the DVD player thorugh a time-base corrector or similar device first.

Alex Sprinkle
August 4th, 2006, 08:45 PM
time base...huh?

Don Palomaki
August 6th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Copy protection on analog video is typically implemented by adding a signal to the timing information in the video stream. This is in the retrace/overscan poriton of the video signal so you cannot see it. A time-base corrector (TBC) refreshes/replaces the timing signal.

Alex Sprinkle
August 7th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Ok, so how does one obtain one of these?

Don Palomaki
August 8th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Buy one form a store that sells profesional video equipment; e.g., B&H Photo/Video, look for a used one on e-bay or similar outlets, Generally not cheap. SIMA has sold a product that reportedly served a similar purpose, may even have been offered at Best Buy. I do not know if it worked. The VIdeonics MX-1/MX-Pro mixers also worked, at least with older material.

Just be aware of copyright limitations vs. fair use.