View Full Version : Did i short circuit my Canon battery?

Jim Lee
August 4th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Hi guys, i accidentally touched the + and - contacts on by battery for Canon MVX45i with metal progs. There was a very very subtle "click" sound.
The battery still powers up my camcorder, but have i damaged it in any way?
Thanks in advace! :)

Ervin Farkas
August 4th, 2006, 09:20 PM
What type of battery does your camcorder have?

Generally speaking, if your shorted your battery only for a fraction of a second, there is no need to worry.

Jim Lee
August 4th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I'm using Canon BP-2L14 7.4V 1450mAh.
I think it might have been shorted for about 3 seconds, which is why im kinda worried.
Tho the battery pack seems to be working fine now, what are the possible side-effects of shorting if any?

Alex Dolgin
August 5th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I'm using Canon BP-2L14 7.4V 1450mAh.
I think it might have been shorted for about 3 seconds, which is why im kinda worried.
Tho the battery pack seems to be working fine now, what are the possible side-effects of shorting if any?
All li-Ion packs have a built in protection circuit just in case something like this happens. It disconnected the cells from the contacts as you shorted them, and then connected them back again. No need to worry.
HTH

Jim Lee
August 5th, 2006, 08:47 PM
PHEW! Thanks for the insight and assurance bro :)

J. Stephen McDonald
August 15th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Hi guys, i accidentally touched the + and - contacts on by battery for Canon MVX45i with metal progs. There was a very very subtle "click" sound.
The battery still powers up my camcorder, but have i damaged it in any way?
Thanks in advace! :)

That "click" sound was likely an internal circuit-breaker in the battery. Most of these will re-set themselves in a short time.

Tom Hardwick
August 15th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Well I never knew that. Thanks for the info, gentlemen.