View Full Version : Export from computer to camera?

Jesse Weaver
March 2nd, 2003, 02:13 PM
Hey all. I am having a problem when I am trying to export a video from premiere 6.5 to my gl2. Whenever I have inserted a black screen in my video, the camera assumes that there is nothing there and doesn't record anything during that time.

For instance, at the beginning of the video, I have an intro screen that fades in from black, with music starting a little bit before the fade. However, when it is exported to the camera, the recording doesn't start until the title screen is allready there (no fade in, no pre music)

I know there is probably something easy to fix this, but I just can't figure it out. Please help me. Thanks a lot in advance!

Jess

Ken Tanaka
March 2nd, 2003, 02:38 PM
Hmm. This is a new one to me. Just some thoughts.

a. Are you sure that what you're seeing is not just the normal lag caused by the GL2's tape transport set-up? It takes a few seconds from a "Stop" position for the tape and heads to begin running.

b. Have you tried putting 10 sec of colorbars or a countdown ahead of your lead-in screen?

Jesse Weaver
March 2nd, 2003, 03:00 PM
Actually, I thought it might be that at first as well, but I have about 10 seconds of tape before the music starts and 2 more untill the title fades in. Also, it will do it in the middle of the footage as well if I try to fade to black for a transition.

I also prerolled the tape before I started to export. And when I watch the vhs tape where the black screen should be, it flashes a blue and then a black repeatedly until the screen fades back in. Thanks for the input.

Jesse

edit: added 2nd paragraph

Ken Tanaka
March 2nd, 2003, 03:10 PM
Are you noticing that the tape completely stops rolling during these black-out periods or does it seem that the camera is just cutting-out the a/v signal?

Also, have you tried monitoring the export on an external monitor? This might help to establish whether the black-out is ocurring at the camera or the computer.

An interesting puzzle!

Rob Lohman
March 2nd, 2003, 04:05 PM
What you can also try is capture the footage back to your computer
and see what happens then. Could be this only happens when
you play it back on your camera (ie, it is exported correctly to
tape).

Jesse Weaver
March 2nd, 2003, 05:36 PM
Ok, so what I did this time, is I exported it first to the camera in one session, and then copied the minidv to a vhs tape in a vcr. I also went straight through the camera onto a vhs. It did it both times.

When I am exporting it actually keeps the tape rolling, but doesn't record anything until there is a full video signal (ie not the fade in, or audio) Bummer, I was wishing there was a quick and easy fix I just didn't know about.

Jesse

Jim McNally
March 3rd, 2003, 12:37 PM
You mentioned you are exporting to tape and see this effect. What if you just play the timeline and have your camera recording?

Bud Kuenzli
March 4th, 2003, 02:35 PM
I don't know if the GL2 luma issue could be involved here, but what if you set your black to RGB 12/12/12 as discussed in the Titlemix thread? It's just a guess but it would be worth trying. My Gl2 is still on order or I'd do the experiment myself.

Terry White
March 10th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Jesse,

I found the same problem in Adobe Premiere... Did you insert the black segments using Premiere's "Black Video" feature?

Instead of inserting Premiere's "Black Video" as a segment, insert a color segment of black. The Black Video segment is actually nada, nothing, on the timeline but a place holder (apparently).

When I edited a ballroom dance video and output it to tape, the camera showed a black screen with static on it, not what I intended. After replacing the Black Video segments with the color "black", everything worked well.

Let us know if this works, ok?

Terry near Baltimore, MD USA