View Full Version : Glitches in Audio and Video

Dan O'Bannon
March 3rd, 2003, 10:51 AM
I did a shoot with the GL1 yesterday, got home to edit and the video had many glitches and audio had many glitches, also when I ran another tape through the GL1 to edit the sound from that tape had glitches even after I cleaned with tape with head cleaner.

Does this sound like a technical problem or do the heads just need more cleaning, Any sugestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Dan O'Bannon

Nathan Gifford
March 3rd, 2003, 10:57 AM
If these problems happened when you start and stopped recording, you might try doing both a pre and post roll. Also make sure that the tape is on a valid timecode when you record.

Another good piece of advice is stick to one tape brand.

Ken Tanaka
March 3rd, 2003, 11:19 AM
Dan,
Be more precise about what you mean by "glitch".

Bob Petersen
March 3rd, 2003, 04:10 PM
Did you try a different tape? I once had a brand new tape that had a very minor repetative defect in the tape, and it caused dropouts in video and audio. I switched to Maxell tape and had no further problems.

Dan O'Bannon
March 3rd, 2003, 06:03 PM
Thanks Guys, It is Fugifilm DVCassette. I use the Gl1 for my deck to import video into my computer. The tape that was shot on the GL1 has bad video and bad audio(audio cuts out and video gets black streaks through out the tape. When I use the XL1s for import using the tape shot on the GL1 the video and audio is still bad, so its either a bad tape or somthing is wrong with the GL1.

What do ya think??

Thanks, Dan O'Bannon

Ken Tanaka
March 3rd, 2003, 06:24 PM
Dan,
Try a new tape using the same brand. Be sure to leave plenty of lead-in. If it happens again you should send the GL1 to Canon for service. The heads and transport may need realignment. Be sure to send the "glitch" tape along with the camera to give the technicians an idea of what the problem may be.

Dan O'Bannon
March 3rd, 2003, 10:39 PM
Good advice Ken, Thanks!

Dan O'Bannon

Dan O'Bannon
March 4th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Ken, I just remembered I blackend two tapes with the GL1 before the shoot. The tape shot with the XL1s was ok but the one shot with the Gl1 was bad, could blackening have any bearing on the situation, and is blacking a good idea?

Thanks again, Dan O'Bannon

Ken Tanaka
March 4th, 2003, 11:31 AM
By "blackening" I assume you mean recording black to get continuous time code on the tape?

I really doubt that that caused your problem. That's a very innocuous procedure that some people use as a safety precaution against time-code breaks. Personally I do not do this because (a) FCP3, my editor, has become much more forgiving of t.c. breaks, (b) I'm pretty darn careful with my tape handling procedures and rarely have a break, and (c) it imposes unnecessary additional wear on the record heads.

No, that additional bit of information continues to suggest that your camera may need adjustment and/or professional cleaning.