View Full Version : Mic for a GL2

K. Penewit
March 3rd, 2003, 09:25 PM
I just ordered a GL2 and now comes the part I know very little about. I need help with audio, more specifically microphones. I need a quality mic for weddings that works well with a GL2. Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

Thanks,
KP

Robert P. Pallante
March 9th, 2003, 07:23 PM
K. Penewit:

First of all, I'm NOT a salesman trying to talk you into anything. I'm a part-time Videographer of Weddings/Receptions & other events, having started back in Youngstown, Ohio (I see that you're from Cincinnati) in May of 1985. By now, I consider myself a "Semi-PRO" at this game & STILL learning! I have been using the Azden "VHF" WDR-PRO (diversity receiver), WMT-PRO (Hand-held Mic) & WLT-PRO (Bodypack Trans./Lavalier Mic) with fairly good results. At today's prices, it would cost you close to $600 to buy all of the above. This VHF system gives you only "2" channels (169 & 170) to choose from. A few times, I found myself on the churches frequency & had to hard-wire the scenerio, and not use the wireless mic!

Lately, I have been having drop-outs & hissing problems develop with this Azden VHF system & have been looking into buying a new "UHF" system to replace the Azden one. It served it's purpose & now it's time to move on! I checked at the B&H Photo/
Video website & found a great looking (with a great price) system by Samson. Go to B&H's website & at their search window type in: Samson UHF Micro-32 Wireless Combo System. This is a "32" channel UHF sysyem, lavalier Mic/transmitter & hand-held Mic (for interviews), all for $499.95. I then went to Samson's website & downloaded the 21-page Manual (in PDF form). After reading the manual, I'm about 3-4 weeks (financially) from ordering this Samson Combo, as a replacement for the old Azden VHF system.

As a young "65"-er, I cant' afford to retire (what Social Security pays us), so I work as a photo-canvas mounter at a PRO Lab (Reedy Photoprocess Corp.) Monday thru Friday & work as a sub-contractor Videographer on most Saturdays. I have to watch the $$$'s, so I've spent quite a bit of time (online) "researching" my next purchase of a new wireless system for MY resently purchased Canon GL-2 & would recommend the above mentioned Samson Micro-32 system to you.

Robert P. Pallante (d.b.a. "Pro-Cam Videography")
Clearwater, Florida

Mark Austin
March 10th, 2003, 01:24 AM
The Sony or Sennheiser wireless are the cream of the crop, Shure and Audio Technica are a good second. My experience has been that Azden & Samson are less expensive for a reason, they are not made as well and don't seem to stand the test of time as well as the better brands.
My 2 cents.

Mark

Ken Tanaka
March 10th, 2003, 01:48 AM
Welcome Robert. What a nice post!

I agree with Mark that Sony and Sennheiser are top-grade wireless systems. I'd add Lectrosonics to the top-end rarified ($$) strata. Part of what makes these systems better than others is their construction; they're designed to be used every day in every way. They're also multi-modular systems featuring not just body transmitters but also transmitter modules for handheld mics. They operate at the same frequency bands as the less-expensive brands (an FCC requirement).

Robert and KP, I've used that Samson UHF32 Diversity system for a couple of years and it's performed very, very well. I've never had a failure or drop-out even in "radio noisy" downtown Chicago where I live and do most of my shooting. (I wish my cell phone worked as well here.) I attribute that to it's UHF frequency band and it's diversity design. My only wish is that the transmitter was in a metal enclosure. I just know that someday someone's going to mash it.

I guess we've all assumed that KP is looking for a wireless mic, something he didn't specify but which we assumed due to the application.

Is that what you're really looking for, KP?

K. Penewit
March 13th, 2003, 09:36 AM
I was talking about a wireless lav. Thanks all for your input!!

Kevin

Rob Wilson
March 13th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Kevin,

Once you get the wireless, you'll be looking for a way to mount it on the GL2. Unfortunanatly, Canon's efforts to make it small have resulted in no spare real estate to use. I fabed a bracket that works. Let me know of list if your interested.

Gilbert Xiong
March 13th, 2003, 02:54 PM
I understand that all MIC's are MONO but is there a way I can make my microphone input STEREO? It only records as a left channel. Shure SM63 (interview)

(Prior to Postproduction)

Ken Tanaka
March 13th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Gilbert,
Actually, there are stereo mics. But most of the shotguns and lavs you'll encounter are, indeed, 1-channel by design.

It's generally a trivial matter to spread the sound across 2 channels in most editing packages. To actually duplicate recorrding across 2 channels you'll need some type of y-splitter

There is a recent XL1S thread on this topic here (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7474&highlight=mono). The specific gadget(s) you would need will depend on how you connect your mic to the camera. But I think you'll get the idea.

Rob Wilson
March 13th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Sure can, as inexpensively and easily as a trip to your local Radio Shack. They sell an adapter for $2.99. Takes your mono mic input and sends it to both left and right channels. Wish all problems were this cheap to solve.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=&product%5Fid=274%2D374

Aaron Rosen
March 15th, 2003, 02:56 AM
Again, I'm sure I am beating a dead horse but here it goes:

Do any of the above mic's need a preamp to work? I have an Azden Shotgun with a battery and it still is not powerfull enough to use.

Will the ME66 work well or will it too need a preamp?

- Thanks

Don Palomaki
March 15th, 2003, 06:47 AM
The ME66 has a substantially higher effctive ennsitivity than the Azdens, and its internal impedance is lower resulting in higher net input to the camcorder. This will be esepcially noticeable if you use a "Y" adapter to feed the mic to both channels.

Also, there are significant differences among the several Azden models. Overall quality the order wiould probably be Sennheiser followed by AT and Azden last.

When shopping for mics, there is a fairly high coorelation between price and quality with a give type of mic.

Aaron Rosen
March 15th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Sounds good. Looks like it is time to save the money for a ME66 or get a preamp.