View Full Version : photos on tape

Cosmin Rotaru
March 4th, 2003, 12:23 PM
This is some missing feature on GL2/XM2, or I'm geting it all wrong! I don't understand the logic in the way this camcorder takes pics on the tape: you push the "photo" button and the camcorder starts recording (regardless if the camcorder was on pause or rec) the pic for 6 seconds. After that it enters PAUSE, again, no matter if you were recording or in pause before taking the pic! I don't understand why! On my old M9000 Panasonic I could take a pic BEFORE or WHILE recording and store it in the camcorder's buffer. Than I could OVERLAP the pic when I wanted to change the POV and not interrupt the sound...
Some clients (I do weddings) prefere to receive the tape the next day and not wait (and pay) for editing. So I have to do "in cam" editing...
Now I can't just take a pic of a flower and use it while changing the POV.
I can't even use the 6 second photo feature because the camcorder goes to pause after that! :-(

Rob Lohman
March 4th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Now I don't own your camera, but if I'm not mistaken you can
setup the GL2 to record on tape OR the memory card you can
stick in there. If you record to the card you will not mess up
your tape (if I'm not mistaken). Check your manual!!

Ken Tanaka
March 4th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Cosmin,
Rob's 100% correct. Push the Tape/Card switch to Tape and a "photo" will be recorded to the tape as 6 sec of still footage. Push the switch toward "Card" and it will be stored on the flash card.

That's the way it's designed.

Graham Bernard
March 5th, 2003, 01:56 AM
Don't you just love that imitated sound of an SLR doing its thing? Click-swoosh-Click! Magic, I just take photos just to hear this sound! - First time I heard it, I thought I hadn't taken my medication - hey c'mon! It's true - don't tell me I'm hearing things AGAIN - "Nurse -over here we've got a problem!"

Cosmin Rotaru
March 5th, 2003, 05:21 AM
yea, the sound is nice :)

I'm talking about the photos you take on TAPE. Not on the card. What annoys me is that the camcorder gets on PAUSE after the 6 seconds. Regardless if you were recording BEFORE pushing the PHOTO button. You push the PHOTO and you know that you'll have a 6 seconds photo and the the recording STOPS.

Let me explain what I used to do with my old Panasonic (for in camera editing): BEFORE I start recording I took a pic (that goes into a buffer, not on tape. You see the pic for two seconds after you push the button and then dissapears from viewfinder). Then, while recording, when I needed to go from one place to another, without pausing the camera (because I didn't want to interrupt the music or speech or whatever) I would MIX the pic from the buffer. The pic slowly dissolves over the image. Then, when I reach the desired position, I would push MIX again so the picture slowly dissapears and the camcorder continues to record the image coming from the CCD.
This is how you'd make it in Adobe Premiere (the upper video is the picture):

http://www1.dr.myx.net/sites/foto-video/mix.gif

Why does the canon have to switch to PAUSE after the 6 seconds photo?! What's the use for that?