View Full Version : XL-1 / Which mode is better ?

Russ Gutshall
March 6th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Hello to XL-1 Users ! Question -- I have been fortunate to sell some footage to clients, but in this new age of HDTV shooting, which mode is better for me to shoot in when final format (producers-editors) is done -- normal movie mode, 16:9, or frame mode. Some clients say they will have to cut and past top and bottom of my footage in order to fit into Super 16, HDTV, etc. Which format from XL-1 will result in the best possible footage for them to consider buying (frame mode, 16:9, etc.) ?

Also - suggestions on which brand/length/pricing boom mic to buy to reach out for sound of wildlife, etc., which is what I shoot mostly ? Also - I am using mostly consumer tapes. Is it really better to use something like Sony PDVN-40 tapes versus TDK tapes ? Cost is certainly a factor ! Any help would be appreciated ! Thanks. Russ

Dylan Couper
March 6th, 2003, 09:31 PM
The Canon's 16:9 mode is not a real 16:9 mode. It just cuts the bottom and top off the picture. Shoot in whatever they seem to respond to best. If they like frame mode, shoot that.

If you are shooting wildlife, I would shoot regular mode, as it gives the most realistic look (IMHO).
If you want 16:9, you might as well do it in post. You will get the same results as in camera, but have the option of keeping it full resolution 4:3 if you want.

Tom Hardwick
March 8th, 2003, 07:22 AM
I think you'll find that frame mode looses you about 20% of your vertical resolution, so beware of shooting in this mode for critical situations. A test is easy enough to do and video is a great teaching tool. Accurate, fast, repeatable, consistant, cheap. What more could you want from a teacher?

tom.

Nathan Gifford
March 8th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Try doing a search on on "shotgun" and you should get plenty on mics. Some people like the ATR835, others the MKE300, or K66/K6 (I think).

As far as tapes go it is more important to stay with one brand that to keep switching them up. I use the Panasonic DVM63??, I forget whether it is the MQ or PQ (I think MQ) are the better tapes.

If you want 16:9 Optex now makes a 16:9 anamorphic adapter that allows you to shoot without resolution loss.

Try searching on "frame mode" and you will get plenty on that subject. In short, a number of people suggest shooting in normal and using deinterlace in post production (Premiere does this).

Adrian Douglas
March 9th, 2003, 08:18 AM
I've shot a lot in both modes and as Dylan said "normal" will give you the most realistic look. Frame mode on the other hand gives you a smoother, look that is not as harsh. As far as I'm concerned the loss of resolution is not a concern if you are happy with the look. There is no point quibbling over specs and performance figures when all that really counts is if you like the look of your shots.

The best thing to do is go out and shoot a test scene in all the different modes and settings and see which you like the best. What I or someone else here likes could be totally different to what you like.

Most of all, enjoy.