View Full Version : The Best setting to Shoot fast moving Object

Gonzague Alexandre
September 9th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Hi flaks

I have some troubles to get clear shot of fast moving objects (Cars) we shoot some video in 720p30 of a car I was driving at over 120Km/h - 75mile/h (max speed at one prices moment), we put the shutter speed to 500, them 1000, but still I have a too much blurry car on screen (cloudy day, low light...)

What will be the best setting for such shoot? is 720p30 not the best choice? I like video in 30, but maybe higher would be better?

Thanks

Here you are some examples (Don't be sacre by the horrible quality of the video, I just had the HVX-200 few hours before... and I badly need to learn how to use it :( )

http://88.191.20.67/video/nats/b.wmv

Craig Chartier
September 9th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I have had the same problem with the canon H1, shooting 1080/60. I also had the shutter set high, however the fast moving object had a bad bluring or trailing problem. I wonder if the processors in these cameras aare just not able to handle this type of shot???

Gonzague Alexandre
September 9th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Well it should be possible

This is just a question of technique and skill, so if someone could help us here it will be great

Peter Jefferson
September 9th, 2006, 11:16 PM
like any moving image.. fast shutter.. open aperture wide... either codec should hold up to these speeds... theres also the issue of focus.. ie clean focus renders the image smoother and defined from teh background.. so if youve gone full wide, then blurring wil be an issue..

as for 30p.. the only issue you should expereince is motion when panning.. as progressive scan shooting requires a tweak in teh way you might pan a shot.. mainly slow it down.. or dont pan at all..

to give u an idea, go watch gladiator... its runnign a t1./250th's of second and still retains its full detail and motion @ 24p...

another thing yo umight want to try, is to pull over when your on the highway and just shoot various settings, narrating your settings as your record.. taking verbal notes...
the only way to really see how a unit will perform with this material is to test it...

Gonzague Alexandre
September 10th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Thanks Peter... will try ;)

I also found that AVID for example has some pluging in order to solve this problem, does this stuff really works? Does edius has the same stuff?

Cheers

Jason Boyce
September 11th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Could you try overcranking & then speed it up in post?

Gonzague Alexandre
September 11th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Could you try overcranking & then speed it up in post?

From Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow-motion

Slow motion is a technique in filmmaking whereby time appears to be slowed down. Typically this is achieved when each film frame is captured at a rate much faster than it will be played back. When replayed at normal speed, time appears to be moving slower. The technical term for slow motion is overcranking.

Actually I am a bit confused... what you suggest is to shoot in slow motion, a car running over 75 miles an hours then an speed it up on Edius? How is that possible?

The very funny thing that I found is that EVERY soft on Earth propose easy Motion BLur tweak, but none to remove it, or the only one worth is available for AVID... which I do not have and when I tried didn't feel confortable with.

Gonzague Alexandre
September 12th, 2006, 06:19 AM
I think that now I understand what you wanted me to try... My poor english was my first problem... Anyway I will try

thanks