View Full Version : Artifacts In Images

Jonathan Lutz
September 26th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Hi.

Anyone else encountered this kind of problem (see pics)?

Any idea what causes it?

Thank you.

Jason Burkhimer
September 26th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Hi.

Anyone else encountered this kind of problem (see pics)?

Any idea what causes it?

Thank you.

I had the same garbled mess on one of my VX2000's about a year ago. And I narrowed it down to something in the capture process. Im not saying thats whats causing your problem, especially if your footage was imported from P2. My problem originated from the capture process from My VX2000 via firewire into Sony Vegas. If it is on your P2, just for a test, try down converting the footage in-camera, and dubbing to tape, then capture to hard drive. I dont know if this will produce any answers or not, but its worth a try...

Jonathan Lutz
September 26th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I suppose it would help to give you more details...

We shot this as DVCPro50, 16:9. I wasn't the DP though, so that's all I know about what went on in-camera.

We had a PowerBook on set and loaded the cards in via the expansion port (correct name?) on the side of the G4, i.e. the one that's BUILT INTO the laptop. We DID NOT use the P2 card reader/drive. We wrote to external hard drives (ATA, 7200, 8MB cache) via FireWire 800 (though, since it's not a 64-bit G5, it was writing at 400 Mb/s, like FireWire 400).

After we imported and backed up on a 2nd drive, we'd re-format the card in-camera.

BTW - we also backed up on DVDs.

Thanks, again.

Vince Curtis
September 26th, 2006, 04:16 PM
So is it on the DVD's also ?

Barry Green
September 26th, 2006, 08:56 PM
The problem is the Mac. Macs are not fully reliable when importing P2 files, and this glitch is exactly what can happen. It's rare but it happens, and it only ever happens on Macs.

Apple recommends you not import directly from the cards; they instead suggest that you should do a "disk image" of the card onto your hard disk, and then import from there.

Christian Schmitt
September 27th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Do you know if this has been fixed with the new import feature of the FCP update thatīs out?

Jonathan Lutz
September 27th, 2006, 09:39 AM
The problem is the Mac. Macs are not fully reliable when importing P2 files, and this glitch is exactly what can happen. It's rare but it happens, and it only ever happens on Macs.

Apple recommends you not import directly from the cards; they instead suggest that you should do a "disk image" of the card onto your hard disk, and then import from there.

Go figure! Well, that helps. It makes sense (kind of), though it's very weird.

I really hope it's fixed in FCP 5.1.2, as I've heard that update will handle P2 a lot better.

Thanks!

Jonathan Lutz
September 27th, 2006, 09:58 AM
BTW, I checked the DVD backups we made and the problem does exist there as well, which makes sense, considering we were backing up the .mov files that were created when we imported into Final Cut.

I was thinking: we also backed up the CONTENTS files, so they should be clean, since they're pre-FCP import. Unfortunately, we ran out of disk space before we got to those cards (the ones with the "problem" clips), so we don't have their CONTENTS folders for me to check.

Thanks, again.