View Full Version : newbie questions: 35mm adapter on hvx200

Martijn van der Sanden
October 9th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and i've been checking out some threads about 35mm adapters. Here's the thing:

I'm planning to buy a new camera, and the hvx200 it's gonna be. I decided this before i've seen any footage made with a 35mm adapter, and now I want this cam more and more...

Basically, I would like to know what's used to create those film-look shots. I hear people talking about this 35mm adapters (there are more of them right?), step down rings, camera lenses etc... So, my question: What exactly do you need for getting that look?

- camera? (ok.. the hvx200 in this case)
- 35mm adapter?
- step down ring?
- different lens(es)
- anything else I forgot?

Thanks in advance.

Martijn

Alexandre Lucena
October 9th, 2006, 05:58 AM
You will need a DP.

Andrae Palmer
October 9th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Video filters in your editor.

Kenn Christenson
October 9th, 2006, 03:31 PM
You should check out this site:

http://www.redrockmicro.com/products.html

The company I work for has this adapter - and it's definitely not for newbies. I would suggest getting VERY comfortable with the HVX first. There's a lot to learn about that camera and you can achieve a very convincing "film look" without any sort of adapter, if you know how.

Martijn van der Sanden
October 10th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Thanks, I checked that out earlier, and also the Brevis35, but I cant really figure out what else you need. They also talk about a whole bunch of lenses, step down rings, coverters to flip the image etc... Can you achieve this quality also with a basic setup, or is it that complicated?

Kenn Christenson
October 10th, 2006, 09:05 AM
The 35mm adapters are used primarily to give you a more shallow depth of field. The Redrock Micro site is the most comprehensive I've seen in regards to making sure you get everything you need.

Yes, you will need a stepdown ring, diopter, shims, etc. with the Micro 35. When you order, there's a step by step process that walks you through the necessary items. If you don't have an external monitor that you can invert, you will need that as well, because these adapters will invert your image.

All this said, depth of field is only one element in giving you a "film look." There's also the effect of shooting 24P & 30P and, most importantly, the lighting. If you don't know how to light, nothing else will help you.

Dean Harrington
October 10th, 2006, 04:15 PM
http://www.cinevate.com/
This is something the check out.

Martijn van der Sanden
October 11th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Thanks guys :) I think I'm gonna go for the M2

Sam Jankis
October 11th, 2006, 01:54 AM
While having an external monitor is a must for focus (in HD), the "flip trick" for the HVX's monitor works flawlessly. I made a little button that I tape down... to flip the monitor while I'm setting up the shot. It's also useful for run 'n gun shooting with a 35mm adapter.

Justin Connor
November 25th, 2007, 03:28 AM
very curious -- since i am trying to figure out a good system of doing so...?

Barry Green
November 26th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I'm a big, big fan of rightside-up adapters. I've got the Letus Extreme and think it's just about perfect. The best thing is, that whole "flipping" stuff just disappears -- you shoot, monitor, and record right-side-up. No need to hassle with any flip at all.

The Letus line (Extreme, Economy, and L35 Flip Enhanced) all render the image right-side-up. Other adapter manufacturers are coming out with add-on flip modules; CineVate's Brevis flip module is due by the end of the year, and I believe Wayne Kinney of the SG PRo has a flip adapter due around the same time. And Redrock Micro has shown a flip module for their adapter too.

Sergio Perez
November 26th, 2007, 11:11 PM
you should take into consideration that resolving the "flip" is only solving half the problem. On the 1/3ccd's HD cameras, the on cameras LCD's are so low resolution that they cannot be trusted for critical focus with a 35mm adapter.

You should look at external monitors, like the panasonic BTLH-80w or the Nebtek in order to have something flexible and workable in real shooting situations. Not to say that the external monitor is essential- if you are in a studio setting or doing still shots with good lighting it is manageable with the internal LCD's, but add movement, different focus points, natural lighting/low lighting, and you're in for some very frustrating shooting/ poor footage.