View Full Version : Simple masking question in AE7

Phil Gosselin
October 11th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Hi all,

Take a look at this pic

http://img273.imageshack.us/img273/7905/masking1rh2.jpg

And then this one.

http://img273.imageshack.us/img273/8702/masking2hc8.jpg

I put a mask over a solid object, I then applied a "substract" mode to the mask so that the blue color (which is a second layer below with a blue color applied to it) shows through. Problem is that if I rotate that mask there is a blue outline visible, as seen in pic 1. If there is no rotation the blue outline disappear, as seen in pic 2.

Any way to get around this issue rotation issue.

Thanks

Cal Johnson
October 12th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Phil, is the blue layer just a solid color layer?

Phil Gosselin
October 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Yes it is

Thanks Cal

Cal Johnson
October 14th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Sorry to take so long to get back to you Phil. I imagine you've already sorted out your problem. It's difficult to tell from the pictures what exactly is going on. It looks like the outline is of the layer itself, so without really knowing how you've got things set up, I was going to suggest you try just resizing the blue solid layer so that even when rotated, its larger than your composition. that way the edges of the solid that create the outline will not be visible as they are outside of the composition window.

Phil Gosselin
October 15th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Indeed you are right Cal, I move on but your answer could be applicable to other projects. I completely forgot about the fact that I could just resize the solid layer.

I a new at this and learn a lot with Total training just need more practice I guess.

Thanks for your time.

Phil

Cal Johnson
October 16th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Hey Phil, you might want to check out the "Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects" books by Chris and Trish Meyer, probably the best singular resource for learning After Effects. Once you get used to After Effects, you'll probably find that there's lots of ways to go about solving the same problem. Good luck!