View Full Version : Recommended format for Youtube?

Sean Seah
October 14th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I rendered a clip in mp4 from V6 but it looked worst than many clips I have seen on Youtube. Anyone has other settings to recommend?

Randy Boose
October 14th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I thought flv was the file type of choice now for sites like youtube

Joey Atilano
October 14th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I think they want MP4 . I usually render to a 720x480 mp2 and then take that and run it through a program called Videora http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/ I use the 2 pass render and they come out great. The problem is Youtube re-renders it and it looks terrible.

Hope that helps
Joey

Randy Boose
October 14th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I think they want MP4 . I usually render to a 720x480 mp2 and then take that and run it through a program called Videora http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/ I use the 2 pass render and they come out great. The problem is Youtube re-renders it and it looks terrible.

Hope that helps
Joey

Cool you are correct...this is taken from their site.

What's the best format to upload for high quality?
We recommend the MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) format at 320x240 resolution with MP3 audio. Resizing your video to these specifications before uploading will help your clips look better on YouTube.

Mark Lewis
August 6th, 2007, 03:03 PM
a tutorial about how to use vegas for ideal youtube videos

This guy seems to know what he is talking about, and his youtube videos look great -
http://beautifulprofit.com/LBDIwiki/index.php?title=Power_Tools_For_The_Mind#Vegas

Seth Bloombaum
August 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Cool you are correct...this is taken from their site.

What's the best format to upload for high quality?
We recommend the MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) format at 320x240 resolution with MP3 audio. Resizing your video to these specifications before uploading will help your clips look better on YouTube.
Yup, that's what they recommend, but, I and others have had better results with wmv.

Douglas Spotted Eagle
August 6th, 2007, 05:25 PM
We've experimented heavily here with this, and you'll see a training solution for this from VASST very soon. Bottom line is (from our view) that some types of footage benefit best from wmv at 1Mbps, and other types of footage benefit from 640 x 480 MP4 at 1Mbps. If the content has a lot of gradient to it, MP4 is better at managing the encode in both Squeeze and Vegas (Main Concept). If the content is very contrasted, lots of color depth, wmv holds detail better.
DivX and Xvid didn't even come close in quality at conversion to Flash on the YouTube and other sites tested.

Floris van Eck
August 7th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Thanks. Interesting to hear this. But I really think YouTube should move to 640x480 with like 128kbps audio. 320x240 with crappy audio which sound like it is coming from Mars really doesn't cut it anymore nowadays.

Bandwidth issues I suppose. I can't wait for YouTube HD.

Sean Seah
August 7th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Youtube HD?? Ooh that would be cool. I've tried wmv but it looks real bad so far.. mp4 didnt look good as well for me.