View Full Version : Kata Bag Rain Test...

Noka Aldoroty
March 16th, 2003, 12:01 AM
I keep my GL2 in a Kata CCC-101, and today it really got put to the test.

Today I filmed a 50,000 person peace march in downtown Los Angeles during a rain storm. Since I don't have any kind of water resistant cover for my GL2, a big golf umbrella kept the camera from getting wet.

However, the Kata Bag didn't always find the center of the umbrella's cover, and it got pretty wet. I was happy to find that it resisted the water really well. At the end of the day, it was a little bit damp inside (just barely), but considering how much water it got hit with, it was amazingly dry. And the GL2 was in great shape, although it spent most of the day outside the bag. (Under the umbrella, or sheltered inside my jacket!)

I found that the hard sides, and bottom of the Kata bag obviously kept water out better than the top of the bag, which has no plastic reinforcement. I also found that even while the double zipper is fully closed, and the end of the top opening is velcro'ed closed, there is still potential for a hard rain to slip into the space where the zipper doesn't FULLY meet the edge of the bag. Basically, it's not completely water tight at the zipper closure point.

However, it did hold up really well, and I'd still recommend the bag to anyone looking for a good one. I think I'll give it a spray with some Scotch Guard for a little EXTRA water resistance before the next time I bring it out in such heavy weather. Just thought I'd pass this along to anyone wondering just how protective this bag is...

Ken Tanaka
March 16th, 2003, 01:05 AM
Thanks very much for that field report. Glad to hear that you didn't get wiped-out in the heavy rains out there.

Just as a postscript, Scotchguard won't provide additional water repellency. I suspect the bag is made from Cordura nylon with a water resistent membrane sealed to the inside surface of the fabric. If you want to add moisture resistance the best measure would be to get some seam sealant (generally available at sporting goods stores) and treat all of the bag's seams. You'll have to periodically reapply it, but it will go a long way toward keeping water from seeping through the bag's stitching.

Frank Granovski
March 16th, 2003, 01:14 AM
Some of the camara bags come with a built in rain jacket. The Lowepro I use for my Nikon has one. So when I'm out and about in Vancouver's rain, my camera keeps dry like a bag of unbuttered popcorn.

Ken Tanaka
March 16th, 2003, 02:13 AM
Speaking of which, Frank...

I bought a small Lowe bag at a local photo store for my little ZR25 family-cam a while back. It was a bit of an impulse purchase and I didn't pay much attention to the hang-tag (which I'm sure listed its features).

While on an outing with it we were caught in a downpour and the inside of the bag became somewhat damp. After returning home, while unloading the bag, I discovered that it had one of those hidden raincoats in a zippered pocket. My wife happend to observe my discovery. She laughed so hard I thought she would have a stroke.

Graham Bernard
March 16th, 2003, 03:15 AM
Same Kata here. I was always wanting to hear from a colleague who'd done such a test - my concerns about the "top" double zipper worked under pressure. Thanks Frank!

Frank Granovski
March 16th, 2003, 03:34 AM
Ken, don't tell anyone, but it took me about 3 months to discover that my Lowepro had a rain jacket. I did know about the lifetime warranty, though.