View Full Version : Need to make a DVD quickly

Craig Packard
October 17th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I have an HDV 720/24p feature that I'd like to output to a DVD that will play on ordinary players. I know that no one had HD players yet, so:

What sort of conversion would I need to create to get something into iDVD? Or will I need to use DVD SP?

I don't need anything all that slick just yet, so I don't want to bother with any extra steps. I just want to be able to pass it on in a format that will work.

Nathan VanHoose
October 18th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Compressor can do this type of conversion. If you select format there is an option (maybe under advanced format conversions) that allows you to convert a HD movie so that it fits on a DVD.

Craig Packard
October 18th, 2006, 10:55 PM
I have no idea how to work with compressor. As someone else here pointed out, even though it's a stand-alone program, it comes with no manual.

I was able to get a SD DVD through DVD Studio using the method outlined by Tim Dashwood in another post, but I didn't make it letter boxed, which I want. I may be able to be able to figure it out, but I was hoping someone might save me another trial and error burn to DVD.

Martin Pauly
October 19th, 2006, 12:28 PM
As someone else here pointed out, even though it's a stand-alone program, it comes with no manual.Well, no printed manual. But if you search for a file with the name "Compressor_2_User_Manual.pdf" on your computer, you should find the manual, if you have Compressor installed.

Opinions differ about whether Compressor is a good program or not, but I believe it's complex enough that it's worth looking at the manual to at least get an understanding of what options it can offer.

- Martin