View Full Version : Best tape stock for A1/G1 HDV Camcorders

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rick Mickler
October 21st, 2006, 05:04 PM
What is th best tape to use?

Thoughts on this new Sony tape? http://bssc.sel.sony.com/DigitalMaster/product.htm

Paul Matwiy
October 24th, 2006, 10:26 AM
I've had good luck with Panasonic DV tapes over the past few years in my GL2 and XL2. I plan on using their DVCAM/HDV tape part #AY-DVM63AMQ

Ross Jones
October 24th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Elsewhere on these boards you'll find a whole slew of comments on various tape types. For what it's worth, I found problems using Sony tape with my VX2100. After it had been repaired, the Repair Centre actually recommended Panasonic tape rather than Sony... I now use only Pana, and have had no further problems..
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick Weeks
October 24th, 2006, 02:54 PM
I used Sony Excellence on my VX2100 and XL1s... had a few dropouts here and there, but pretty sparse. I had planned to stick with them, but recently been pondering switching to Panasonic because everyone on these boards seems to have very good luck with them.

I'm new to HDV and all, and I'm guessing the regular Mini DV tapes I've always used (i.e. Sony Excellence) will handle HDV? ...or do I need to get a tape specifically made for HDV?

Robert Sanders
October 24th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I recently shot a large project (over 20 tapes) using DVCAM (mini) PDV64N pro tapes and had great results.

I did, however, have dropouts using Fuji tape.

Jack Jenkins
October 24th, 2006, 05:25 PM
I recently shot a project using a GL-1 with 30+ hours all on SONY mini-DV tapes (consumer version, the ones you can get at TARGET etc., premium I believe) and had NO drop-outs. I subscribe to "the pick a brand and stick to it" theory on the mini-dv stuff.

Rick Mickler
October 24th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I like the idea of a high end tape like the Panasonic AY-DVM63MQ for $5.00 per tape. Sony has come out with a "new" HDV tape PHDVM63DM for $15.75 per tape. Is it just marketing by Sony or will our end product benefit?

Bill Pryor
October 24th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I'd say at that price you'd be paying for the nicer label and marketing costs. I'm in favor of using quality tape, but 3 times the price of the good Panasonic stuff is a bit ridiculous, especially when most everybody is using the Panasonic tape with little or no problem.

Chris Barcellos
October 24th, 2006, 08:13 PM
I used Sony Excellence on my VX2100 and XL1s... had a few dropouts here and there, but pretty sparse. I had planned to stick with them, but recently been pondering switching to Panasonic because everyone on these boards seems to have very good luck with them.

I'm new to HDV and all, and I'm guessing the regular Mini DV tapes I've always used (i.e. Sony Excellence) will handle HDV? ...or do I need to get a tape specifically made for HDV?

I ve used TDK and Panosonic in my FX1 and have no problems to report.

Daniel Boswell
October 24th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I ve used TDK and Panosonic in my FX1 and have no problems to report.

i second the Pannys. I do NOT use the Sony HDV tapes because they are too expensive and have actually given me more problems than the supposedly inferior ones have.

Cody Lucido
October 25th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Has anybody tried the "Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ Mini DV / HDV Tape"? Very close to the tape mentioned above excpt for the 'A' near the end.

They run about $7.45 and seem to be a good choice for my DV/HDV studio set up with my (soon to arrive) Canon A1.

Paul Matwiy
October 25th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Has anybody tried the "Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ Mini DV / HDV Tape"? Very close to the tape mentioned above except for the 'A' near the end.

The "A" indicates a mastering quality tape. Generally in the tape world, this means the same formula but a better polish on the tape for improved head contact and fewer dropouts.

Cody Lucido
October 26th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Thanks Paul! I think this will be the tape for me.

Rick Mickler
November 2nd, 2006, 09:51 PM
Found this promotion for new HDV owners . Sony wants to give you 5 digital master HDV tapes.

[url]https://www.hi5mer.com/merlin/sonyhi5?command=get&style=home]

Dan Keaton
November 3rd, 2006, 08:40 AM
Here are some of the details for the Sony 5 Free Tapes promotion:

SONY PRO MEDIA
DIGITALMASTER TAPE HI5 PROMOTION
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Receive five (5) Sony DigitalMaster tapes by mail following the purchase of a
Sony HVR-Z1U, HVR-A1U, HVR-V1, Canon XL-H1, XH-G1, XH-A1, or JVC
GY-HD100U, GY-HD200U, GY-HD250U Professional HDV Camcorder. Offer
valid on purchases of eligible products from August 1, 2006 through March 31,

Bill Ritter
November 5th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Since I have never seen them mentioned, but they are pretty inexpensive (6 tapes for about $18 at Sams Club), how about Maxell miniDV tapes?

Any known reason not to use them?

How does anyone know which are the best? Years ago I saw an article in consumer reports that seemed to be a good evaluation based on various measureable criteria -- it basically said most tapes are the same, just the price is different.

I would appreciate any feedback, as I have used them in my GL-1, GL-2, and XL-1s without any problems (that I can detect). If they have a flaw or put my XH-A1 (on backorder at B&H) I would like to know and avoid a potential problem.

Thanks,

Bill Ritter

www.wfrvideo.com

Dan Keaton
November 5th, 2006, 06:52 PM
You have on backorder a very nice camera that you will thoroughly enjoy.

However, attempting to save about $2.00 per hour of recording, in my humble opinion is ill advised.

Reason: Using MiniDV, as recorded by an Xl1s and all of the other cameras you mentioned, is such that a drop-out usually affects one frame, and sometimes only part of a frame. In other words, bad, but not really really bad.

Using HDV, one drop-out will cause you to lose about 1/2 second of video, really really bad!

The consensus seems to be that Panasonic AY-DVM63MQ works great.

For what's it's worth, I use this tape exclusively. By this, I mean that no other tape enters the camera, even if someone wants me to playback their tape.

It may be mass hysteria, but it seems that users that stick with one specific tape have the best luck with their cameras.

If you start with Maxell, then decide to switch brands, you may or may not have problems. This is not a chance I would take.

Panasonic now has a newer tape: AY-DVM63AMQ which is more expensive.

Bill Ritter
November 5th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Dan

Thanks for the info. I use Prem Pro 2 and matrox RTX100 and neither have reported a dropped frame that I can remember in years now.

However, your advice is appreciated and I will look at going for better tape. I just wish there was some definitive testing done. (like consumer reports)

I have also heard from other sources that sticking with one manufacturer is a good idea due to the chemicals they use for lubrication, etc. Also not sure if that is urban legend or reality.

Anyway there is value in the experience of the using community - thanks again.

Bill

Bill Ritter
November 5th, 2006, 07:08 PM
I guess I'll ask another question relative to tapes in this venue -- tape head cleaners and the frequency (or advisability) of using them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Bill Ritter

Garrison Hayes
November 5th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Use Sony Premium DV or Sony HDV tapes...Canon designed thier video heads to use lubricated tapes...so it basically cleans the head as it records onto the tape.

Bill Ritter
November 5th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Garrison:

Thanks for the info. I guess I didn't read my manual well enough.

Bill

Dan Keaton
November 5th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Dear Bill,

A dropped frame is different from a drop-out.

If the tape has debris, or any other problem, such as a flaky oxide coating, or other defect, then the data that you record may not play back. This is a drop-out.

You can have drop-outs on a tape, but still capture with zero dropped frames. These occur when you computer can not keep up with the incoming data, when you computer can not process and write the incoming data to disk fast enough.

Wade Hanchey
November 5th, 2006, 08:53 PM
What's usually to blame there Dan? Hard drive speed or CPU?

Dan Keaton
November 5th, 2006, 09:16 PM
It is usually a combination of things or one thing really wrong.

For example, capturing via Firewire IEEE-1394a, may not work successfully, if you are also writing to an external Firewire drive. This works for some computers, but not others.

If the capture normally works, then the number one problem is disk fragmentation.

Slow disk drives are a problem. 7200rpm drives are better than 5400 or 4200 rpm drives. Modern drives are better than older ones. Drives with more cache are better.

For drives, I prefer SATA drives, with 3,000 megabit per second being better than 1,500 megabit (3.0gbs vs 1.5gbs).

A slow cpu can also cause problems. Some brands of cpus are not equal to others. Intels and AMDs usually work fine.

Of course not all capture programs are created equal.

I hope you understand that I was trying to answer your question. Most modern computers can capture, especially if you follow the instructions and are not doing other things in the background.

A few years ago, I was using a friend's computer, way underpowered, an off-brand cpu, using external firewire for the drives, etc. and it worked. I had to turn off video preview and make other concessions, but I could get it to work.

I also captured from my XL1s a few years ago to a, slow by todays standards, laptop with a 4200 rpm drive sucessfully.

Todd Siechen
November 5th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Whats the difference between a regular miniDV tape and an HDV mini-DV tape?

Bill Ritter
November 6th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the distinction between drop out and dropped frame. As I have edited the video I have only seen a couple of dropouts (discontinuity in motion or time difference between XL-1s and GL-2 on a simultaneously taped long sequence) on my XL-1s at the end of a long shooting day. The GL-2 or GL-1 appear to be fine.

Thanks,
Bill Ritter

Dan Keaton
November 6th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Dear Todd,

"Whats the difference between a regular miniDV tape and an HDV mini-DV tape?"

Your's is a tough question.

You may use MiniDV tapes to record HDV, and they work well.

Some manufacturers are making HDV tapes.

These could be relabled MiniDV type tapes, or they could be higher in quality. So it could just be marketing hype, or actually a better tape.

If you have a drop-out in HDV you may lose 1/2 second of footage, based on a GOP (group of pictures) of 15. My math may be off.

So, I would not use general run of the mill MiniDV tapes, but I would use the better grades such as AY-DVM63MQ or AY-DVM63AMQ.

I have not tried the more expensive tapes, such as the Sony HDV tape.

I welcome other opinions.

Brent Graham
November 6th, 2006, 03:51 PM
didn't sony stop making a lubricated minidv tape years ago???

Noel Evans
November 6th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Yes I was informed some time ago the Sony tapes are actually dry lube these days.

I have been using my Leftover Pana MQs.

Greg Rothschild
November 7th, 2006, 09:13 AM
B&H recommended JVC (JVMDV63PROHD) tapes. Anyone used those?

Garrison Hayes
November 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Yes I was informed some time ago the Sony tapes are actually dry lube these days.

I have been using my Leftover Pana MQs.

What!? Sony owes me big time...
If Johnny Cockeran wasnt dead..............i'd be a millionare.

Bill Pryor
November 16th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I'm wondering what kind of tape people who have the H1 and those who have been using their new A1s are using. Is anybody using the pricey HDV stock, or just plain vanilla DV tape?

Henry Cho
November 17th, 2006, 03:31 AM
bill, the tape mechanisms are supposedly better in made-for-hdv tapes, so it may be worth shooting critical footage on them, but i've been using inexpensive panny pq stock i had left over and i haven't experienced a dropout yet. i've been satisfied with how the pq's have held up, and i recently ordered more of them.

Noel Evans
November 17th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Bill, Im in the same boat as Henry. Using basically the Japanese version and no issues at all. I did use the initial HDV I got with the cam, no difference.

Nick Weeks
November 17th, 2006, 04:05 PM
I'm honestly beginning to thing these HDV tapes are all a marketing ploy to get uninformed users to spend more money. For all we know it's the same chemical makeup and thickness as regular tape, only says "HDV" on it and costs $10 more.....

Bill Pryor
November 17th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Don't forget the nicer packaging.

Mike Teutsch
November 17th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Who knows how much extra it costs to put that extra "H" on there. Come-on, support your local tape manufacturer!

Seriously, the cheap ones have always worked just fine for me.

Mike

Bill Pryor
November 17th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Our tape supplier has Panasonic Advanced Master Quality minis for $9.08. The Sony mini DVCAM equivalent is 3-4 dollars more. The Panasonic PQ minis are only around 4 bucks. Seems to me Panasonic tape is the best deal, whether PQ or AMQ.

Noel Evans
November 17th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Stick with the MQs Bill. Once you decide it usually best to stick with one only and not swap and change.

Will Aldersley
December 27th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Hello

Just purchased the HX-A1, and it came with a Canon HDVM-E63PR tape....which is very nice of them....but I was wondering whether I would be ok using a more reasonably priced tape? These retail at about £14....in UK. I haven't taped anything yet....just in case I'm advised of a better deal.....or am I being way too cautious regarding using a type of tape I might not use again?
I've been using the JVC M-DV60DE with my XM2, and have about 10 left. I intend to use my XM2 as a backup cam.

Does anyone have any advise on a reasonably priced tape I can buy in bulk (50-100 units), and where to buy....
thanks in advance.

Mike Teutsch
December 27th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Hello

Just purchased the HX-A1, and it came with a Canon HDVM-E63PR tape....which is very nice of them....but I was wondering whether I would be ok using a more reasonably priced tape? These retail at about £14....in UK. I haven't taped anything yet....just in case I'm advised of a better deal.....or am I being way too cautious regarding using a type of tape I might not use again?
I've been using the JVC M-DV60DE with my XM2, and have about 10 left. I intend to use my XM2 as a backup cam.

Does anyone have any advise on a reasonably priced tape I can buy in bulk (50-100 units), and where to buy....
thanks in advance.

Please go to our "Long Black Line" forum, which is dedicated to tape issues. There are many posts there you can read.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Mike

Will Aldersley
December 27th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Hello

Just purchased the XH A1, and it came with a Canon HDVM-E63PR tape....which is very nice of them....but I was wondering whether I would be ok using a more reasonably priced tape? These retail at about £14-£16 ($30)....in UK. I haven't taped anything yet....just in case I'm advised of a better deal.....or,am I being way too cautious regards using a type of tape (Canon) that I might not use again? I realise you need to stick to one brand....so would using the canon limit me to ALWAYS using Canon??

thanks in advance.

Anthony Leong
December 27th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I bought the Panasonic AMQ tapes for my Canon XH-A1. I haven't use the Canon tape which came in the box, because everyone is basically saying stick with one brand of tapes and don't mix brands.

Will Aldersley
December 28th, 2006, 03:22 AM
So is that the general consensus, don't even use one "off" brand? I can't justify spending + £14 per tape to myself nevermind my clients . I'm going to have to order me some mid-range tapes and stick to them then... *sigh*

Panasonic AMQ you say? Does anyone else have a suggestion?

Eric Dyer
December 28th, 2006, 04:20 AM
I have been using the sony HDV tapes, 10$ from B & H, I have also been using sony premium tapes (about 5$), no drop outs yet....but once you go with a particular tape, stick with that brand, camcorder heads get used to the chemicals from each specific manufacture. If you always use a different brand you may destroy your heads quicker then if you just stick with one brand.

*e

Michael Bartolo
December 28th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Panasonic AMQ is only $8.50 at TapeworksTexas. That is hardly $30. Maybe you should call them and see if they ship overseas. Maybe buy a v1U or A1 while you are at it.

Michael Y Wong
December 28th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Panasonic Professional AY-DVM60XJ

6.99$

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=12650&A=details&Q=&sku=200406&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

James Jackson
December 30th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Panasonic Professional AY-DVM60XJ

6.99$

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=12650&A=details&Q=&sku=200406&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
I've been using them too. Been working out great!

James Duffy
January 8th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I've been using the $3 Sony Premium DVM60PRL tapes in my GL2. My A1 is arriving in three days. Just making sure, these tapes should be fine for recording HDV?

Larry Rodman
January 8th, 2007, 09:49 PM
The conversation surrounding tape seems to focus on two issues; consistent quality, in terms of drop-out's, and the type of lubrication that the manufacturer employs. I was told, when I asked why I should purchase the much more expensive HD tapes, that the higher quality tapes are less susceptible to drop-out's. I was also told that there are two types of lubrication; a dry lubricant, and, I guess, a wet lubricant. I can't remember the details, but because of the conversation I made a similar decision to stick with one brand of tape. I have been using the less expensive tapes and have encountered no problems. Actually, I can't recall ever having an issue with drop-out with the less expensive tapes anyway. It would be nice to hear the lubricant issue discussed by an expert, however.

And, of course, you do not have to use special 'HD' tapes in the A1 to record HD.