View Full Version : P2 Store

Paul Brady
November 12th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Is the P2 storage device buletproof or is their any chance of loosing footage?

David Saraceno
November 12th, 2006, 11:10 AM
I've read about some issues with the p2 store and Final Cut Pro.

But I'm also interested in these device, and hope we get further input and any resolution of issues.

Sam Jankis
November 12th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I've never had a problem with mine... and it's been bumped around a bit.

John Jencks
November 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I've never had a problem with mine either. Ocassionally between set-ups on ultralow budget shoots I have to transfer footage while walking, and I've taken to walking much like a steadycam operator to prevent the shake light coming on.
I am a mac user and there's been no problem, even though I'm on a Intel mac and therefore can't use the P2 store manager.
Hope this helps.
John

David Saraceno
November 13th, 2006, 10:46 AM
John:

What functionality, if any, do you lose by not having the p2 store manager available on the Intel Mac?

Eric Peltier
November 13th, 2006, 03:06 PM
John:

What functionality, if any, do you lose by not having the p2 store manager available on the Intel Mac?
the p2 store manager is helpful to see how many cards and which cards (by looking at the card serial) are backed up in it.
it's a tool to check the device, change some of the internal settings, and I think you can use it to erase just one card instead of all at once.

John Jencks
November 14th, 2006, 03:47 AM
David,
Sorry, I don't know what functionality you loose not being able to use P2 manager, because I haven't had a chance to use it.
I'd like to though, if it would give more control over which cards I can pull off the P2 store rather than having to download them all at once. Which is what I have to do now, or have to spend ages working out which files I've downloaded and which ones I have not.
Hope this makes sence.
Despite this problem I still stand by my P2 Store, it works well and is particullarly useful when shooting on location.
John

Peter Richardson
November 14th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Mine's been great (knocking on wood) though I am very careful with it. I just wish Panny would come out with a bigger HDD for it.

Peter

Jim Sofranko
November 15th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Can anyone tell me if the PS store downloads only in real time or is it a faster data download??

Thanks.

Barry Green
November 15th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Depends on what mode you shoot in. In 1080 mode it's realtime. In 720/24pN mode, it's 2.5 times faster than realtime. In DV mode it's 4x faster than realtime.

Jim Sofranko
November 15th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Barry.

Stephen Pruitt
November 23rd, 2006, 10:42 AM
Mine (with the Intel MacBook Pro) is working flawlessly. I would like that P2 Manager, however, as that it would be nice to be able to wipe one card instead of the whole drive.

Stephen

David Saraceno
November 23rd, 2006, 11:08 AM
Depends on what mode you shoot in. In 1080 mode it's realtime. In 720/24pN mode, it's 2.5 times faster than realtime. In DV mode it's 4x faster than realtime.

Not certain what these comments by Barry mean?

This is just transferring the contents of the p2 store to your harddrive.

Wouldn't the data transfer be the same regardless of what mode the video was shot in?

Faisal Lutchmedial
November 23rd, 2006, 12:37 PM
No, because he's talking about footage length in time, not amount of data. 720p 24pn takes up a lot less drive space than 1080i 24p, thus it takes a shorter time to download. DV takes even less space, so again, it is faster to download.

Cristian Olariu
April 17th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Mine (with the Intel MacBook Pro) is working flawlessly. I would like that P2 Manager, however, as that it would be nice to be able to wipe one card instead of the whole drive.

Stephen

I have an Intel MacBook Pro and when I connect the P2Store, it doesn't want to mount the cards. I can see them in Disk Utility, but it won't mount them. Is there anything I need to do, anything I need to install?
Thanks.

Stephen Pruitt
April 17th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I have TWO Intel MacBook Pros (the two most recent models) and a P2 Store. I use P2 Genie to download the files and have NEVER had so much as the first glitch using the P2 Store. I love it!

Stephen

Stephen Pruitt
April 17th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Cristian. . . I'd recommend you buy the P2 Genie program. It's about $30 and it mounts the P2 cards off the P2 Store automatically. It's the slickest little program I've ever seen. Do a google search for "p2 Genie" and you'll find it right away.

Stephen

Barry Green
April 20th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Panasonic posted a tech paper about the P2 Store/mac issue; you can find it here:
https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/cs/csregistp2m/ep2main/faq/P2store_macmount_e.pdf