View Full Version : Raw DV

Kevin Foristal
March 24th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Does anyone have the ability to put up a short clip of raw uncompressed DV footage from the GL2 for FTP. I am looking to buy one and would like some footage to run into the NLE.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Chris Hurd
March 24th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Well, the problem is that by definition, "raw DV" going to an NLE from the internet via FTP must be transcoded into a Quicktime file or Microsoft AVI file. So without knowing whether you've got a PC or Mac, there's not much that can be done to help you. Also, watching a clip on a computer screen won't do it justice; you'll need to review it on a pro video monitor. There are a lot of variables that get in the away of what you're asking for here.

Bud Kuenzli
March 24th, 2003, 03:23 PM
you live in a big town (tulsa?) so go to a store and buy a tape and find a store with a gl2 and record some footage....nobody's going to try to post uncompressed video...

Chris Hurd
March 24th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Or check out some previously recorded material... "Trading Spaces" on TLC uses GL1 video all the time (it's the Paige-cam), and the GL2 looks even better than that.

Kevin Foristal
March 24th, 2003, 03:56 PM
I would go to the store and drop a tape in.....the big question.....how do I get it into the computer when I get home??? Not having the camera yet, I can't drop the DV tape in the CD tray and hope it works.

Thanks for the info Chris....as always polite and informative.

I am only looking for like a 5 second clip. I am on the PC side with premier 6.5.

Graham Bernard
March 24th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Errrmm . . . Is it possible for One DV Camera to read ANOTHER DV Camera's "tape" output? " 'Cos it is Grazie!"

If THAT'S possible, film at the store - beg borrow or - whatever you do in Tulsa! - and plop the DV into the borrowed cammy - yeah?

I went one further, I took my Dell laptop to the store - didn't want to take any chances.

Benjamin Taft
March 24th, 2003, 05:18 PM
check out this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?threadid=7798&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

I downloaded some uncompressed XM-2 footage from Hans ftp, it was a regular AVI clip and it played fine in Quicktime on my mac.

Kevin Foristal
March 24th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Man, I never thought about the laptop thing. Great ideas guys...thanks for the quick responses

Graham Bernard
March 24th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Neat eh? - When I did this experiment, at the camera shop, I uploaded directly - and I mean real time - to my Dell Laptop. That was one of the clinchers for me buying my XM2. It worked straight off. No hiccups, no dropped frames, no hiches - it just worked! -Then having the footage of the camera shop and an interview with one of the customers, I took it home and uploaded it to one of my firewire drives. In this way I was also able to check out the sensitivity of the onboard mic and check out the high quality of the sound through my sound system.

Hans Henrik Bang
March 25th, 2003, 06:30 AM
As mentioned above, I put up some footage from my new XM2 a few days ago. I actually put it up again a few hours ago due to a request, but I am at work now and cannot remember the IP address.

Would you be interested in that? It will of course be PAL and not NTSC?

If so, post here or shoot me an E-mail.

Hans Henrik

Ronnie Grahn
March 25th, 2003, 10:14 AM
I'd be interested in looking at that footage, since I'm probably going to buy a XM-2 towards the summer.

Thanks,
Ronnie Grahn

Hans Henrik Bang
March 25th, 2003, 10:16 AM
You can find the footage here:

ftp://DVFriend:dvinfo@80.164.30.144/

Hans Henrik