View Full Version : Continuous Record on P2 cards

Joel Dennis
November 23rd, 2006, 08:29 PM
I'm having troubles finding the setting to tell the P2 cards to loop record. I'm recording to the FS-100 and when the P2 cards get full, the camera's record button won't stop the firestore from recording, and the stop button on the firestore doesn't stop it either. The only way I can get it to stop is by powering it down. One of my coworkers said you could loop the P2 cards but he didn't know how to do it, and I can't find it either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joel

Andrew Mcarrick
November 23rd, 2006, 09:26 PM
Wait, what exactly do you want to do..... because looping would wipe any data already on the cards. You want to continously record, onto the cards..... The only way to do that is to switch out the cards..... put in both cards, when the first one is full take it out and transfer that to a laptop or the belt harddrive...... while you're doing that you're recording to the other card. Once the first card is offloaded then you can place that back in the camera, and take out the other card when it becomes full. All the data will be linked together via Metadata, so you can pull the card without stopping the camera.

When it comes to the FS100, you don't need P2 cards running to use it.... It's basically there to replace the P2 cards, so you can record longer times. I believe you have to switch the FS100 over to remote mode, so the camera controls the camera functions..... I don't actually own one, so I can't tell you that's exactly how things go. But when you compare it to a Pro VTR, most require you to be in Remote Mode to use a NLE to control it.

Barry Green
November 23rd, 2006, 09:53 PM
The LOOP RECORD function doesn't destroy any data on the cards; it uses the available space on both cards to create a contiguous recording buffer. Any data already on the cards will remain there and be excluded from the buffer.

To go into loop mode, set the scene file operation mode to VIDEO CAM, then go into the menu 5 and choose the recording function of LOOP. Make sure you have two cards installed, and that each has at least a minute's free space.

Andrew Mcarrick
November 23rd, 2006, 10:07 PM
Oh wow.... I'm sorry... I didn't know about that function.

Joel Dennis
November 23rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
Thank you both for your comments. I will try that Loop function. I thought you had to have the P2 cards in to be able to record to the firestore. It would be fine to wipe out the data on there.

What I have been doing is recording to the P2 cards along with the firestore at the same time. I would sync the firestore wit the camera and when I would hit record on the camera, the firestore would also record. However, when the P2 cards got full, the firestore didn't want to stop recording. That's why I thought the continuous recording would be better since it would over write the data on the P2 cards and the firestore would continue to function properly.

If you don't need the P2 cards in to record to the firestore that would be even better. I haven't tried that. Is there a certain setting I would have to change in order to do that? Thanks,

Joel

Andrew Mcarrick
November 23rd, 2006, 11:09 PM
To record to the FS100 you shouldn't need to change anything. The Firewire cable passes video and timecode all the time, so you should be able to just plug it in a start recording.